Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

reporting accident to police but not insurance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:08 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Police don't tell insurance only check there is a policy, they have no need to but he definitely needs reporting.

MCN wrote:

And it is still an accident that you were involved in so statistically you present a higher risk of a Claim on an insurer.
This really bloody bugs me, it's not true, statically or not! Being at the damage end of an accident by simply being there does not make you a higher risk unless you're camped in the same spot every day and make yourself vulnerable to each new motorist that comes along.

It's partially blaming the non fault party for the fault party being careless enough to cause the accident. Bullshit.

but have a think about it - old lady who does 20/25 everywhere.. causes lots of overtakes , some more dangerous than others.. defo more likely to get hit?

similar for newer/foreign drivers.. turning without indicating. .. etc..

obviously there are cases where genuine decent drivers get hit, but more often than not (at least in the insurance's eyes) the people that get hit have a small percentage of the blame.

Think about OP's situation. now im not for a second saying he is to blame. But imagine he saw the guy rolling towards him .. and just stayed there ? i would have nudged my bike forward to accomodate..

I can think of plenty of times i would have been hit if i wasnt a 'better' driver/rider

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:37 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plod have been informed, now to wait the next move. Not really sure what Im doing next.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:38 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a crime number?

If you didn't, then Plod have not been informed in any meaningful sense.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

"Incident" number, as I was pointedly corrected in my situation Rolling Eyes

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

"Incident" number, as I was pointedly corrected in my situation Rolling Eyes

You get back down there now and tell those cnuts that the Borg says they are wrong.

Or we will negative your Karma. Folded arms

😊

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:11 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I did indeed. I made sure to do it on the way home from work so still in ambo uniform, which made them slightly more sympathetic than they would have otherwise been to joe public. Got to have a sitdown chat with an officer & a cuppa rather than being fobbed off with "heres the form, fill it in and drop it back at the counter".

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:35 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

<well-played.png>

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:57 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I did indeed. I made sure to do it on the way home from work so still in ambo uniform, which made them slightly more sympathetic than they would have otherwise been to joe public. Got to have a sitdown chat with an officer & a cuppa rather than being fobbed off with "heres the form, fill it in and drop it back at the counter".

https://media0.giphy.com/media/y8mThMjGBrQpG/giphy.gif

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd chuck him to police for hit and run or failing to stop. Say you have footage, don't give it yet though Wink

He will deny it, you drop said footage.. watch him squirm. I'd not notify insurance personally.

101 gets me an answer in <2 mins. Try again.

How this worked in my case was:
- reported to police
- received letter from the police saying they weren't pursuing it

Without the footage they might drop it immediately.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above posts, use the MIB to get his insurance details (cost £4 when I did it a month ago) and contact his insurer directly.
Report to plod, although if they're anything like the slackers in Portsmouth they'll mutter something along the lines of no further action, civil matter mate, which is exactly what they did to my neighbour when I witnessed someone hit their parked car and drive off, I noted the registration, make, model, and a description of driver. Other neighbour also had full cctv coverage of it. Apparently there was nothing they could do.

Just seen the later posts, good work OP.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't another instance of the well known pensioners accelerator/brake conundrum was it? I have no idea why they
buy automatics, must be an arthritis thing. Lucky the old duffer didn't take out the front of a shop, a few pedestrians,
a wall and leave the car laying on its side revs jammed at 4000rpm as that's the usual level of destruction when they
"mistakenly press the wrong pedal".

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Wasn't another instance of the well known pensioners accelerator/brake conundrum was it? I have no idea why they
buy automatics,
must be an arthritis thing. Lucky the old duffer didn't take out the front of a shop, a few pedestrians,
a wall and leave the car laying on its side revs jammed at 4000rpm as that's the usual level of destruction when they
"mistakenly press the wrong pedal".

I have an automatic which I got because I like automatics, not because I have arthritis you ageist bastard Razz

And yes I can drive a normal car, I quite often drive wifies Megane which has 6, yes SIX gears Shocked and I can cope with all of them. Folded arms

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
you ageist bastard Razz

It's my birthday tomorrow Crying or Very sad Halfway to 90 so I'm lashing out wildly while I still have the strength.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have an automatic which I got because I like automatics, not because I have arthritis

Quite surprised that someone who likes riding motorbikes prefers automatic cars! Not a dig, just an observation, BTW. I just always associate automatic cars with people like my late Dad (who regarded any form of motorised transport as nothing more than a means of conveyance from A to B, and preferred to do so with the minimal amount of effort in his part), and my Mum (who does indeed have arthritis Wink)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I have an automatic which I got because I like automatics, not because I have arthritis

Quite surprised that someone who likes riding motorbikes prefers automatic cars! Not a dig, just an observation, BTW. I just always associate automatic cars with people like my late Dad (who regarded any form of motorised transport as nothing more than a means of conveyance from A to B, and preferred to do so with the minimal amount of effort in his part), and my Mum (who does indeed have arthritis Wink)

Big engine cars come with a big disconnect system (clutch).
Driving in town is an effort. No matter who you are.

Auto is much more sensible.

And there is not even much of an 'economy' factor to worry about.

Even Modern petrol cars can almost match Diesels for mileage. ANd thrash them on performance.

I was Anti-Auto but since driving them in the US and using them at work I prefer the effortless existence.

I have an automatic Dishwasher and Washing machine too. Maybe I should go back to the wash-board and basin. Shocked Very Happy

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:34 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
But imagine he saw the guy rolling towards him .. and just stayed there ?

Are the NHS offering eye implants in the back of your head now? Laughing

If I go to this guys insurers direct myself, will they want to contact my insurers? Or will they be happy to deal with me directly and I can continue to be all hush-hush to my insurers?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
AshWebster wrote:
But imagine he saw the guy rolling towards him .. and just stayed there ?

Are the NHS offering eye implants in the back of your head now? Laughing

If I go to this guys insurers direct myself, will they want to contact my insurers? Or will they be happy to deal with me directly and I can continue to be all hush-hush to my insurers?

No, if you make a claim off his insurance, you have still made a claim, and need to declare it next renewal

And the Cartel wins again Evil or Very Mad

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:02 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
you ageist bastard Razz

It's my birthday tomorrow Crying or Very sad Halfway to 90 so I'm lashing out wildly while I still have the strength.

We share the same birthday - I however am 1 year older. Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:13 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was insurance broking it never ceased to amaze me how many people (virtually all) would change their attitude upon finding out that their no claims discount would probably be affected. If at fault they would change the story so much it would require an army of investigators or witnesses to sort out. Hence what used to be called "knock for knock agreements". I have know it happen where 2 clients crashed into each other - both came into my office at the same time for claim forms and sat at opposite ends of the office in silence completing them, the accounts were so different it was ridiculous for us to try and guess which way a claim would go. That said this is before widespread cctv and mobile phones, dashcams etc did not exist. In summary it used to be "no witness - no chance of saving your bonus" I did see some crazy decisions by insurers though where the negotiating and back and forward meant they just settled knock for knock and dammed the consequences - fault claim and ncb deduction.

I do hope the op makes the claim direct but be aware that elderly drivers are the worst for accepting any blame.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
We share the same birthday - I however am 1 year older. Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

Almost everyone is 1yr older on their birthday I think. Shocked

Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I was the same, pretty scathing of autos - not a drivers car, can't handle the gears properly etc. etc. - until I had a 3 litre Saab 9-5. By god did that thing shift for a luxury car the size of a house! I absolutely adored that car, and the auto box. I've had autos off and on ever since. Some good, some not so good.

One thing I would say, the 2 litre lump in my C-Max is the smallest engine I would ever have a auto box on. They are no good with little engines.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
stephen_o wrote:

Very Happy

The Queen isn't.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
stephen_o wrote:

Very Happy

Wifie is one of those 'almost'. Tries to deny she is getting old. Uses have a ton of Rimmels anti ageing cream and spoons it on with a builders trowel. Hates having a birthday card with her age on it Twisted Evil Cringes when the kids go on about how their kids are growing up and hates being called Granny. Laughing

and if she reads this, I'm dead Hurt

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MCN wrote:

Very Happy

Wifie is one of those 'almost'. Tries to deny she is getting old. Uses have a ton of Rimmels anti ageing cream and spoons it on with a builders trowel. Hates having a birthday card with her age on it Twisted Evil Cringes when the kids go on about how their kids are growing up and hates being called Granny. Laughing

and if she reads this, I'm dead Hurt

Does she apply for planning permission with foundation so deep?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:51 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:

I do hope the op makes the claim direct but be aware that elderly drivers are the worst for accepting any blame.

Yeah I have no doubt of that, "Ive been driving for 70 years now, Im a fantastic driver! Absolutely no way I could have been in the wrong! Damn kids these days, no respect for their elders!"

Having reviewed the footage again, in slower speed and paying more attention this time round, I've noticed two things:

1. I gave the police the wrong number plate, whoops. What I thought was an O in the end was actually a C, better get that sorted.

2. The doddery old cunt was on his phone texting at the time.

https://i.imgur.com/SVFZbr9.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3