Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Travelling outside of European Union - Insurance question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Travelling outside of European Union - Insurance question Reply with quote

HI guys,

I am planning to tour in Serbia and have a problem with Lexham insurance. Apparently they only cover EU countries, not European countries. They told me I should cancel my insurance and find another insurer, which covers Serbia as well. However, I will be in Serbia for only 2 days so it's not worth the cost. I was wondering how do you sort those things out? Do you just enter the country outside of EU and hope nothing will happen and if it does you pay from your own pocket?

Thanks for your responses in advance

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:35 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell - YES

You are your own insurance for those days.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take enough of a wedge to pay off the plod and they will sort out any problems. 😊

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there such thing as insurance for foreign countries only? How do people travel around the world on their bikes?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
Is there such thing as insurance for foreign countries only? How do people travel around the world on their bikes?

Well - there's the Green Card system for a start.
I notice the above link says:
"The Green Card system currently comprises 47 countries, including all 28 in the European Union, the additional countries that make up the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, Russia and several countries in the Middle East and others bordering the Mediterranean Sea. A Green Card is no longer required for travel to the EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland."

In other words, I think that means that Serbia is treated as if it were in the EU for motor insurance purposes. FWIW, I've just looked at my own bike policy (with Hastings, so nothing special) and it actually specifically mentions that Serbia is covered. So, either it seems surprising that your current policy apparently doesn't cover it, or else you're being fed crap information... have you checked the policy wording yourself?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:25 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance companies are getting sneaky with what they cover and what they can get away with not covering.

I couple of years ago I had a policy for a car and never even thought to notice I had ZERO euro cover.

Nada.

I am not sure if that could have been challenged but I was never in Europe with it so no worries.

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:

Well - there's the Green Card system for a start.
I notice the above link says:
"The Green Card system currently comprises 47 countries, including all 28 in the European Union, the additional countries that make up the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, Russia and several countries in the Middle East and others bordering the Mediterranean Sea. A Green Card is no longer required for travel to the EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland."

In other words, I think that means that Serbia is treated as if it were in the EU for motor insurance purposes. FWIW, I've just looked at my own bike policy (with Hastings, so nothing special) and it actually specifically mentions that Serbia is covered. So, either it seems surprising that your current policy apparently doesn't cover it, or else you're being fed crap information... have you checked the policy wording yourself?

I checked the wording and had a call with the manager afterwards. Switzerland is included even though not in the EU and all countries that follow EU directives as well, which includes Serbia. The problem is that customer support team is completely unaware of this, they just tell you EU cover.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question, a little bit unrelated. Are we as bikers allowed to filter at border crossings or toll ramps as it would be a pain to be stuck in the queue?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
One more question, a little bit unrelated. Are we as bikers allowed to filter at border crossings or toll ramps as it would be a pain to be stuck in the queue?

I would say yes as long as individual country highway rules allow. That is the easy answer

Google the countries
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1