BCF: Bike Chat Forums

British Gas smart meters, a warning.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way you can make your residence physically cheaper to heat / light is to USE LESS ENERGY TO DO IT.

Either that or get cheaper energy.

A smart meter will do fuck all other than to confirm this. There is no way it can do it for you.

And unless you address the reason your residence costs a fortune to heat ( which will also cost money ) you won't be any better off.

It's snake oil and nothing more.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've now based my usage on the last month (since the meter has been installed) brought both readings up to date, and refunded me £265. Thumbs Up

£115 for gas and electric since December. 2 bed semi. I don't use alot.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:14 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I find it hilarious how much some people love their tin foil hat conspiracy theories. Laughing

Smart meters aren't for your benefit, they're for the supply of things. Nobody cares about your energy usage and what time of day you use the most power because you don't matter. You and your domestic power usage are nothing, you don't even register on the scale so there's no reason for anyone to care about what you're doing.

Get over yourself. Thumbs Up

People keep saying smart meters are used so the power companies can monitor when you use the most electricity. I don’t understand this. Surely the power companies have already got a pretty good idea of when their customers use the most energy? Surely they monitor the power draw at their end?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh they can alright. But when they are running the National Grid at over 90% all of the time then they need some
way to get people switching stuff off if no more power stations are forthcoming. Artificially inflating the price of a
modern day necessity such as electricity seems a good way to get the skinflints running round taking things off standby
and unplugging appliances which in turn reduces the pressure on the creaky, delapidated, barely sufficient grid.

Ultimately, they are after individual pricing plans. Do you know how much your next door neighbour pays per
KWH for electricity? Me neither. So it's fair to say that if they pulled your or my pants down on the price, we
would have absolutely no idea if you or I are getting a better deal. It's a licence for them to take the living piss
out of those who they have deemed they can get away with ripping off via the information these smart meters are
quietly gathering on the side as well as metering the electricity. And there's NO WAY that I the consumer can tell
if I am getting the same prices as the bloke over the road, which if you think about it suits the utility firms just
fine thank you very much. They will profit very nicely and I'm sure they have already run those numbers.

It's like Magnet or Benchmarx kitchens. No prices in the trade only catalogue I might pay x for a 1000
base unit , whereas you pay y. It all depends how many kitchens I buy per year versus how many you
buy, ultimately it's that which dictates my individual terms.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:36 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's too tin foil to suggest that one goal of "smart" meters is indeed to make people fret and worry about the cost of the electricity that they're using, and to use less.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I don't think it's too tin foil to suggest that one goal of "smart" meters is indeed to make people fret and worry about the cost of the electricity that they're using, and to use less.

The ultimate goal of "smart" meters is to maximise income to the energy provider, thereby increasing shareholder dividends, it is the only reason energy providers exist, to make money.
If "smart" meters weren't going to increase profits they wouldn't exist!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:00 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know they're being mandated by the State, right, not the energy cartel?

I know, military industrial complex, corrvpt scvm.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

How's that going for them then? Whistle

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's all the fuss about?

I've had one for a couple of years now, and I don't really give a monkeys what it is or isn't supposed to do. I keep fairly erratic hours so they can't really quantify when's my most profitable time of day for them, cos I might not do today what I did yesterday.

For example, today I have on a bedroom light, a bathroom light, a kitchen light and a living room light, and I am running the heating with the french windows open, whilst cooking on a gas cooker and having had a shower. BUT ...as I am dogsitting, I am doing all that on someone else's dime. If I were at home I would have just put a cardigan on and made some toast.

All I know is that if I put 30 quid in each meter, it lasts long enough for me not to think "Where did that go?" the way I do with petrol*. Sometimes I put all the lights on and the heating, and sit there in my knickers and a t-shirt with the heating going full blast because I paid for it myself, I'll have it on when I bloody well want.

*I get quite enraged by the going up and down price of petrol and would drive to a cheaper petrol station but I guess I wouldn't bother to change to a different supplier every time I wanted to top up my smart meters.

I hated the surprise of quarterly bills anyway, and I hate direct debits even more. I've never checked the price per kw, nor how much I use per day/week/month, I never read the annual summaries. Why would I?

I pay them some money and they give me gas.
Whateverrrrrr.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
bloke came to fit an electric one at work the other week

some how managed to wire in an old alarm system which we don't use

after he left we opened the shutter to get van in and the alarms all went off Shocked

we have no codes for them as they were there when we took over the building
phoned the comany who fitted it and got told we couldnt have anyone round for three days

he can only have been ten minutes down the road
Very Happy

my manager's response would have been "you're paying for our downtime then"

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:55 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
What's all the fuss about?

Tomorrows smart meter will be smarter than todays. Razz

There can be problems when changing supplier which is quite possibly going to be the problem most encountered by consumers.

hellkat wrote:
Sometimes I put all the lights on and the heating, and sit there in my knickers and a t-shirt with the heating going full blast

Pics or gtfo. Wub

(Razz)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:04 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

How's that going for them then? Whistle

It's quite good really.

All the problems are problems they've been warned about by the various experts they've previously paid lots of money to. But as they didn't act on the warnings, they're now having to pay lots of money to the same experts to work out ways to fix the problems they've previously been warned about.

At the same time, the only headache from consumers are from the minority who're busy coming up with tin foil hat conspiracy theories about how the smart meters will allow the energy companies to charge them more at peak times. Meanwhile the government are just throwing more money at the problems they've previously been warned about but nobody cares because that doesn't fit their tin foil hat theories.

It's really quite funny seeing how much bollocks the tin hat brigade come up when there are far more real problems happening right now. Laughing

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 21:37 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an £1800 bill because the moron that fitted my 2nd lot of smart meters (the first weren't put in properly) missread the numbers too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy. wrote:
Surely the power companies have already got a pretty good idea of when their customers use the most energy? Surely they monitor the power draw at their end?

Apparently it's after Corrie/Eastenders finish and millions of kettles are turned on... which's rather depressing.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:02 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Bozzy. wrote:
Surely the power companies have already got a pretty good idea of when their customers use the most energy? Surely they monitor the power draw at their end?

Apparently it's after Corrie/Eastenders finish and millions of kettles are turned on... which's rather depressing.

It’s funny you say that, I’ve heard the same actually.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:03 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

It's quite good really.

I have yet to read one single piece of compelling evidence to convince me why i either want or need one. In the absence of that - i remain unconvinced.

Since the Government has been pretty much universally wrong in every other 'eco' area they have meddled in, for some odd reason i don't trust them to be right in this one either.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:23 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it's going for them depends what angle you're looking at it from. Laughing

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How it's going for them depends what angle you're looking at it from. Laughing

Ahh .... perspective Mr. Green

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy. wrote:
M.C wrote:

It’s funny you say that, I’ve heard the same actually.

There's a wikipedia page about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_pickup Laughing

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a phone call the other evening from my energy supplier.

"When can we book you in to have one of our engineers along to fit your smart meter for you?" says the phone person.

"And why would I want to have a smart meter fitted?" says I.

"Because it is the law.It is compulsory!" says the phone person.

"Since when is it compulsory?" says I.

"Well it will be soon!" says the phone person.

"Maybe when pigs learn to fly?" says I.

Phone person disconnected the call Laughing Laughing Laughing

Always have a 'Plan B'

Wobbling Dog
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:53 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a cost saving from reducing the number of meter readers and another minor cost saving of just reprogramming not changing a meter for a different tariff (economy 7 etc). Can throw up a fault code with certain tamper situations(imbalance of current). Cheap to buy compared to the old stuff that used to be refurbished/recalibrated and not just thrown away. I miss the old 3kg bakelite Sangamo's rated at 25amps but could safely handle 4 times that.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utility companies already know when the high demand periods are. For commercial use there’s a day tarrif, an evening one and a night one. The evening one is most expensive by a long way.

https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk

The evening spike isn’t too noticeable at this time of year, but in winter the usage increases massively 16:00-20:00.

crghsam
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until they become compulsory we will not be having one!

and sadly i think they will make them compulsory

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:23 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

crghsam wrote:

inb4 Spam

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:42 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
crghsam wrote:

inb4 Spam

Ban 'im, Ste. Ban his face off! Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3