Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing energy suppliers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Changing energy suppliers Reply with quote

I've been with British Gas for donkeys years for both gas and electric but just had notification prices are going up and I've reached the end of my year contract so looking to see if I can save.

I knows there's U switch and some of the comparison sites do energy comparison but never used any for that.

Has anyone got any warnings, horror stories, good stories etc. about changing and about suppliers.

I've heard anecdotal stories of ending up paying 2 suppliers and having to fight for you money back.

Anyway, any advice or do I just pick the cheapest off the list?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:50 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest off the list, take pictures of your meters, don't worry about it.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with First Utility now for three years and keep on checking but can' improve on them up to now.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your Arse on moneysupermarket.com

That one from the show on the telly.

They do a very good and detailed exposé on almost all the energy 'sellers'.

Things like their customer service.

They have a cost-to-switch calculator too.

And if you sign up for it they'll hound you with emails when tariffs change and you are.paying too much with your supplier.

Edit: they changed their name when they sold the other company.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use uswitch to find the cheapest and then sign up using topcashback.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/category/gas-and-electricity/

Don't click through from uswitch to the new suppliers website, do all of that through topcashback so that you can get yourself some free money at the same time.

To echo what everyone else has said, just go with whoever is cheapest. There is no reward for loyalty but there are rewards for jumping ship to a different supplier as frequently as you can.

If someone in your household receives the Warm Home Discount Scheme then be aware that you can't get that if you're with some of the smaller suppliers.

[shameless spam] On the off chance you don't already have a topcashback account, feel free to sign up using my referral link:

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/sokas

Using my referral link doesn't have any effect on what cashback you'll receive, all it means is I get some free ponds in return for telling you how amazingly brilliant they are. Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all the above; but would just add that some people reckon that some of these new startup companies are best avoided owing to non-existent customer service. Personally I wouldn't dream of not change supplier every year, but one time I did go through extreme ball-ache with one such newbie company, who were completely unable to tally up my opening meter readings with the outgoing meter readings with my previous year.

And yes to Ste's Topcashback tip - 6 weeks ago I collected a bonus £70 from them by shifting to what was me for the cheapest energy supplier
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Well, my cheapest by quite away according to both U swich and Monetsupermarket is Bulb Shocked . Never heard of them.

https://bulb.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIntDM883h2gIV6ZPtCh0sCwaKEAAYASAAEgIcmfD_BwE

Fuck, I didn't know there were so many suppliers. Doh!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:22 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to know. And they're not suppliers, they're (almost) all just resellers, so you're not going to get cut off. Cheapest, pictures, done.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Well, my cheapest by quite away according to both U swich and Monetsupermarket is Bulb Shocked
https://www.topcashback.co.uk/bulb/
https://bulb.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIntDM883h2gIV6ZPtCh0sCwaKEAAYASAAEgIcmfD_BwE

£50... FTFY

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:06 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to all of the above.

I've switched a few times and it's never been a hassle. Get on MoneySavingExpert, find the cheapest, take photos of the meters and make sure you get cashback if you can Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss spent about 18 months trying to get the outstanding £250 credit balance back off British Gas from when he switched suppliers. In fact, I think he may still be arguing the toss with them now.

He wont however take my repeated advice and keeps phoning them for a periodic argument with an ineffective customer services lackey, rather than simply writing to them once and giving them 7 days to sort their shit out before reporting it to the ombudsman.

The coop are entertainingly incompetant as energy suppliers. I'd recommend them. They are WAY too disorganised to cut you off or anything. I did a clawback on a duplicate credit card payment 12 months ago and they still haven't removed the credit from my account. I've informed them in writing about it too.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Cheers guys.

Well, my cheapest by quite away according to both U swich and Monetsupermarket is Bulb Shocked . Never heard of them.

Fuck, I didn't know there were so many suppliers. Doh!

I'm with bulb. Good online service from them, updating meter reads easily and adjusting DD fairly too. Seem pretty transparent with their tariffs too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

after finding out the Mrs had stuck with British Gas for years I managed to convince her to switch to a British Gas special offer through the moneysupermarket 12 month special fix, BG were awful previously changing the payments randomly up and down as they felt fit, anyway this saved £70 a month and after the 12 months they were going to put us back on the standard rate so I got us onto OVO, a recent start up with little but very positive feedback on a fixed rate for 2 years we still save £60 a month easy

most sickening I found she had been auto renewing the house and contents insurance for 20 years, the latest being £600, I couldn't convince her to change until a random call from west brom building society about shifting the mortgage and got them to quote her, the difference saved bought her a new I-pad this year............

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:36 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to all the above. I change every year and get emails from money saving expert and their cheap energy club which also pays you a switching fee for some and then as others have said doing the switch through various cashback sites can provide more cash for doing very little.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play the game you should switch as frequently as possible and get cashback from topcashback/quidco each time.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Gas are complete and utter wankers! Totally avoid now and forever as they are lying cheating bastards and if it could get any worse than that, they'll call you for 6-12 months after you have switched, asking if you have considered them, can they sign you up (usually this is where the double bills come in) and asking why you left. They are rude and arrogant and I'll never have gas supplied by them again!

I've switched twice but I'm not in the yearly switch club, I don't believe in it and can't be arsed to have billing hassle. If I switch I want a good deal for 2-3years, and who wants to switch between suppliers every year for £50-70? I like multiple direct debits, paperless billing discounts and if the same company can do a competitive broadband connection even better.

Oh and I'd never go back, so if I switch company's they are struck off my list forever then as you'll only get one chance to impress in my book, and if the most expensive company can be the cheapest next year, I'll add them to British Gas/ wanker list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-switch were U-seless for ours, got far better deal going direct (SSE) Try their website calculating thing.
Night rates have gone up quite a bit the last year or two (due to solar?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a side note.....

the mrs is a school governor at the local junior and infant school where our lads went, they switch suppliers every time to save cash but a few years back nobody sent a bill for a good 18 months after they switched, and none of their suppliers want the money which was put aside to pay the bills, there's 80k sat in an account waiting for a bill that won't ever come.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
I've been with First Utility now for three years and keep on checking but can' improve on them up to now.

+1

Went with Spark Energy few years ago and truly terrible. Website issues, but mainly the billing, kept getting revised bills.

First Utility have for the last 3 years been spot on. Thumbs Up

Also, beware USwitch. I found their claims about savings to be pure Disney.
Entered the data, they claimed I could save £800. I did the calculations manually and reckoned it was nearer £140 which was still worth doing, but nothing close to their claims.

Also, when you switch, do NOT pass on your meter readings to your current supplier (assuming the process is still the same). You pass your closing readings to the new supplier.
The new supplier then passes them to the old supplier to give you a final bill.

Seems arse about face, so to cover all angles I passed the closing readings to the old supplier and found that its an industry scam.
The new supplier fiddles the figures they pass to the old, therby claiming some of the usage for themselves. But I shot myself in the foot because I gave the correct readings to the closing (and paid for them). Then the new supplier claimed the opening readings from units I'd already paid for (to the old supplier).
With both parties saying it wasn't their problem (British Gas and Spark).

Essentially Spark lied to British Gas.

Anyway, I lost £40 and just gave up the fight because life is too short.

Assuming the process is the same. Just give one set of readings to the new supplier and then you probably won't get shafted.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Ed Case wrote:

+1

Went with Spark Energy few years ago and truly terrible. Website issues, but mainly the billing, kept getting revised bills.

First Utility have for the last 3 years been spot on. Thumbs Up

Also, beware USwitch. I found their claims about savings to be pure Disney.
Entered the data, they claimed I could save £800. I did the calculations manually and reckoned it was nearer £140 which was still worth doing, but nothing close to their claims.

Also, when you switch, do NOT pass on your meter readings to your current supplier (assuming the process is still the same). You pass your closing readings to the new supplier.
The new supplier then passes them to the old supplier to give you a final bill.

Seems arse about face, so to cover all angles I passed the closing readings to the old supplier and found that its an industry scam.
The new supplier fiddles the figures they pass to the old, therby claiming some of the usage for themselves. But I shot myself in the foot because I gave the correct readings to the closing (and paid for them). Then the new supplier claimed the opening readings from units I'd already paid for (to the old supplier).
With both parties saying it wasn't their problem (British Gas and Spark).

Essentially Spark lied to British Gas.

Anyway, I lost £40 and just gave up the fight because life is too short.

Assuming the process is the same. Just give one set of readings to the new supplier and then you probably won't get shafted.

Impossible in my case as I have a British gas smart meter. There are quite a few suppliers (sorry, resalers) that won't take you on whith an already installed smart meter for some reason. First Utility being one of them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:09 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various different smart meters and for whatever stupid reasons, not all meters are compatible with all suppliers. Laughing

That's a nice real life example of why not to get a smart meter just yet. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 19 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with Green Star Energy for a year and recently used Money Supermarket to switch to Solarplicity. Green Star then they said they were objecting to the switch because I owed them £200. I paid it, not really understanding how their billing has been working. It was direct debit but doesn't seem to have been taken every month. I emailed them asking them to remove their objection. I now have two on-line accounts, Green Star and Solarplicity, with the contract due to switch on the 26th May, but today I have an email welcoming me onto a revised Green Star tariff.

Incidentally, if they're all saying they sell 100% renewable energy who is buying the dirty stuff which makes up most of the supply? Thinking

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:28 - 19 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100% renewable energy sales pitch is to do with how they're spending your money which theoretically influences how the national grid is supplied.

So a more accurate way for them to describe it would be that 100% of the energy they buy is from renewable sources.

They're almost selling you renewable snakeoil. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:02 - 19 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the wind drops, do they refuse to use coal, nukular and gas turbine power?

Who do I pay to ensure that I actually receive electricity?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2