Airbags

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Airbags Reply with quote

Hi, everybody,
I see that now there are many options for airbags. I wonder if you could enlighten me about airbag options I could use with almost any jacket - I have Rukka Navigatorr and Rev’It Sherlock, so I want using the airbag with both of them (maybe I will later get another jacket, I haven’t decided yet)
And what characteristics I should research when choosing a motorcycle airbag?
Thank you

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mum has big airbags. I prefer without a jacket.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently took the plunge and bought one myself. I went for a Helite; for me the choice was between that and the HitAir.

From my research.... first choice is between buying clothing with built-in airbags or a vest; I went for the vest so I can use it with summer and winter jacket. Next decision is about the activation system - do you want a ripcord physically attached to the bike, or an electronic sensor which detects a crash and activates that way. For me, the huge cost of the electronic ones instantly dissuaded me off.

As regards safety features of the system - I guess that's something you need to decide for yourself. I wanted a rapid inflation time, and a system which protects the neck and spine effectively; Helite seemed to fit the bill. Havent 'tested' it yet; hopefully I won't have to any time soon.

The Helite comes in two flavours - their original is called 'Airnest'; but they now also do a 'Turtle', which has built-in spine armour on the outside - that made sense to me (ie, having armour on the outside of the airbag, rather than inside it, within your jacket) and I bought that. Kind of regret that now for practical reasons; it means that the vest itself is pretty big - 27" long - and can't be folded at all, so if you ride somewhere and park the bike up, you can't stick the vest in a topbox while you wander round town or whatever, you have to take it with you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:52 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue is: will you actually use it. I've had a HitAir vest for years, and for most of that time it's been hanging up in the garage.

I should probably sell it to some other mug... Thinking

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:05 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The main issue is: will you actually use it. I've had a HitAir vest for years, and for most of that time it's been hanging up in the garage.

I have the Spidi venture DPS jacket, which has the airbag bit built into/attached to the jacket, means I can never leave it behind.
Downside of course is that I don't have the option of wearing anything else if I want the airbag. I'm looking at switching to one of the vests this year I think.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise only getting one if a) you have plenty of spare cash and b) you are certain you'd put it on all of the time.

In a car you are in a fixed position, and so is the airbag, and much more testing has been done under a variety of controlled conditions. Jackets though? There are many more variables and types of crash that can occur, when there is no telling what speed/position your body will be in, or what course it will take. I'm guessing if you slide or have a collision and you don't separate enough from the bike to pull the rip cord then the bag won't deploy.

I'm not saying they are a waste of money, but it seems like spending money on building a bomb shelter when you have no idea where you will be when the bomb is dropped?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:20 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I would advise only getting one if... b) you are certain you'd put it on all of the time.

Agree

Baffler186 wrote:
I'm guessing if you slide or have a collision and you don't separate enough from the bike to pull the rip cord then the bag won't deploy.

Well, on mine, the cord is short enough that when connected, I cant stand up fully on the pegs, and it has a 60kg activation force. I can't imagine an accident in which the bag would not activate. 2 years ago I had an under 10mph lowside on a mud slicked roundabout, so low speed that other than the bar end, my bike was undamaged & the airbag deployed before I hit the ground, keeping my head from hitting the floor (my particular one is designed to stop your head from flopping about)
Whilst I agree that there are many variables to a bike accident, I struggle to imagine an accident where an airbag would make your injuries worse so to me, it's a beneficial wearing it. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Cadbury on 12:51 - 30 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I would advise only getting one if a) you have plenty of spare cash and b) you are certain you'd put it on all of the time

Agreed. Personally - I was able to afford it without affecting my standard of living; my logic was that it was a bit daft to drop many £000 on a bike used just for leisure, but to baulk at another few £00 for the vest... and how pissed off would I be to get potatoed and then think - "I wish I'd bought that vest"!

Have to say I do wear mine all the time - I'm a (non-polite!) hi-viz vest wearer anyway, and it's really no difference to me. My issue is remembering to connect the bloody ripcord - but I'm getting better!

Of course there's no guarantees it's going to save you in an off. I really like that it inflates around your neck and reduces neck hyperextension (and quadraspazz portential) which is the biggie for me.

Cadbury wrote:
I struggle to imagine an accident where an airbag would make your injuries worse so to me, it's a beneficial wearing it. Thumbs Up

No; though when I was doing my online research I came across a review by a racer which had been published by one of the manufacturers on their website - this guy said he felt able to push it just a bit harder knowing that he was wearing the vest. So there's that. Really don't think it affects me, but... I did think it was an odd message for the company to be pushing though.

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Kind of regret that now for practical reasons; it means that the vest itself is pretty big - 27" long - and can't be folded at all, so if you ride somewhere and park the bike up, you can't stick the vest in a topbox while you wander round town or whatever, you have to take it with you.

Thank you sharing experience with Helite Turtle. My top box is about 22” long, so it won’t fit
I concluded that a vest is probably will be more useful for me so that I could use it with my existing gear. This also rules out Dainese and Alpinestars. So, I am in a choice between Helite or HitAir. Has anybody compared them to tell advantages/ disadvantages of each between them? I gather that Helite Airnest deploys faster, has a hard back protector, but HitAir has more options regarding weight and has a good reputation because used by many emergency organisations around the world (better reputation, but only subjective). Does HitAir has hard back protector?
I want to get the maximum protection, but comfort is probably more important to me - if it is not comfortable then I won’t use it. And ideally I want to have good back and chest protection. HitAir has light version of airbags, I wonder if It has chest protection
Thanks

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I don't come here anymore, so please excuse me for interupting and showing my face, but given the fact that you are talking airbag jackets...................

Some of you I know choose to wear textile jackets rather than leather.

Some of you may be thinking about changing your textile jacket.

Have you or are you considering an airbag jacket?

If you are thinking about a new jacket, and if you are thinking possibly of an airbag jacket, then have a look at https://www.airvest.co.uk/ and if hou decide to take it further then quote HUDGELL10 and it will entitle you to a 10% discount.

I have seen these jackets in operation for real and they are superb.

They are not the cheapest, but then quality never has come cheap, although in reality they are on a par cost wise with other quality jackets.

If you are coming to the Ace on Friday 4th of May, Nick from Airvest will be there as our guest and will also be on hand and demonstrating the jackets as well as being able to answer any qustions and dispelling myths such as the cord activating the air bag when getting off the bike and extension cords

But the offer is ongoing, not just for Friday.

Hope this is of interest?

If not then please feel free to delete it

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:23 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bcf appraoch to airbags is either stand someone on a bread basket and set off an airbag beneath it or alternately wait until someone rides past on a dirtbike and then explode it as if it's an ied.

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.C wrote:

If you are thinking about a new jacket, and if you are thinking possibly of an airbag jacket, then have a look at https://www.airvest.co.uk/ and if hou decide to take it further then quote HUDGELL10 and it will entitle you to ...

Thank you for the link and the code.
I am interested, but I still cannot figure out HitAir vs Helite vest. I now suspect Turtle won’t really work for me (as I cannot store it in the box), but I still need to figure out what other things to consider to ensure I wear it all the time. As I understand, lighter versions are more convenient, therefore are used more often, but offer less protection... I don’t know if the trade off worth it

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:46 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I recently took the plunge and bought one myself. I went for a Helite; for me the choice was between that and the HitAir.

From my research.... first choice is between buying clothing with built-in airbags or a vest; I went for the vest so I can use it with summer and winter jacket. Next decision is about the activation system - do you want a ripcord physically attached to the bike, or an electronic sensor which detects a crash and activates that way. For me, the huge cost of the electronic ones instantly dissuaded me off.

As regards safety features of the system - I guess that's something you need to decide for yourself. I wanted a rapid inflation time, and a system which protects the neck and spine effectively; Helite seemed to fit the bill. Havent 'tested' it yet; hopefully I won't have to any time soon.

The Helite comes in two flavours - their original is called 'Airnest'; but they now also do a 'Turtle', which has built-in spine armour on the outside - that made sense to me (ie, having armour on the outside of the airbag, rather than inside it, within your jacket) and I bought that. Kind of regret that now for practical reasons; it means that the vest itself is pretty big - 27" long - and can't be folded at all, so if you ride somewhere and park the bike up, you can't stick the vest in a topbox while you wander round town or whatever, you have to take it with you.

Pretty much the same for myself. I do take mine off when parked up and it fits in side pannier but was an issue when I didn't have them.
Makes for walking about a better experience without having back protector.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I should probably sell it to some other mug... Thinking

At least you are keeping it good. Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:52 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Never seen the rain."

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know a place where I could rent HitAir for a bike, not a horse riding? I want to try both HitAir and Helite and decide

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
"Never seen the rain."

So why do you not use yours? Can't be arsed? Forget? Uncomfortable? All of the above?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:38 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.C wrote:
I know I don't come here anymore, so please excuse me for interupting and showing my face, but given the fact that you are talking airbag jackets...................

Some of you I know choose to wear textile jackets rather than leather.

Some of you may be thinking about changing your textile jacket.

Have you or are you considering an airbag jacket?

If you are thinking about a new jacket, and if you are thinking possibly of an airbag jacket, then have a look at https://www.airvest.co.uk/ and if hou decide to take it further then quote HUDGELL10 and it will entitle you to a 10% discount.

I have seen these jackets in operation for real and they are superb.

They are not the cheapest, but then quality never has come cheap, although in reality they are on a par cost wise with other quality jackets.

If you are coming to the Ace on Friday 4th of May, Nick from Airvest will be there as our guest and will also be on hand and demonstrating the jackets as well as being able to answer any qustions and dispelling myths such as the cord activating the air bag when getting off the bike and extension cords

But the offer is ongoing, not just for Friday.

I thought you'd died.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:13 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
"Never seen the rain."

So why do you not use yours? Can't be arsed? Forget? Uncomfortable? All of the above?

1 and 2. It adds a few seconds to each end of a journey, which is a pet hate. Also, it's urban camo, which is a sartorial nightmare to match with any outfit.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:

I thought you'd died.

There are probably quite a few on this board who wish I had.

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now bought the airvest. It is Helite Turtle. Maybe my selection process will be useful to somebody in the future, so here it is
I had several considerations when choosing between Helite models and HitAir, top are the most important ones:
1. If I am going to use it all the time - gear must be comfortable
2. If it provides good protection - well above the minimum
3. If I can verify my assumptions related to points 1 and 2 above
4. Pricing
Helite Turtle originally lost on the first point as many users cannot lock it anywhere once they get off the bike. However, when I went to a shop to try it, I realised that it could easily fit my Givi Trekker 52N Top Case. Also, I realised that the vest is not heavy, I could easily travel with it on all the time. It would not restrict my movements either if I choose the right size. HitAir probably would fit anywhere too as it is even smaller, but don’t know how bulky it will be once protection plates are added.
Helite Turtle claims offering great protection and fastest deployment. New HitAir is slower, but I felt it still has adequate deployment time. HitAir also offers back, side and chest protection plates. While Helite Turtle boasts good back protector, I found it thinner than Forcefield Body Armour I currently have. And Turtle does not have chest protection. Therefore, I felt that Turtle may not protect as well as HitAir with additional protection. I spoke to the seller at www.Airvest.co.uk and he persuaded me that Turtle offered me adequate balance of comfort and protection (long distance commuting). And, since Forcefield felt too hot, I felt not having front protection plate will improve ventilation. I also considered Helite GP because it has front protection, but the seller from Airvest (Peter) told me that Turtle would be more suitable for my purpose. Still, I feel HitAir without plates will offer the highest ventilation
I could verify that Turtle is a good product by seeing in shops, but I could not with HitAir. I am not saying HitAir is worse, just my circumstances did not allow me travelling to see HitAir.
Price - older versions of HitAir are twice cheaper than Turtle. However, I read reviews even here that they are not comfortable, partially because of the weight. Current HitAir models are the same in price as Turtle, but then you need to add the costs of plates that you can buy separately, this eventually makes HitAir more expensive. And I used 10% discount code published here for Turtle. As a result, Turtle became cheaper option
I spoke to Airvest about sizing as I was between sizes: Helite recommends both sizes M and L for me - I am 175 cm (5’9”), waist 33”, chest 40”, weight 78 kg. The seller (Peter) recommended size M (he said he was 99% sure, if wrong, he will arrange collection and replacement for size L for free). I tried size L before, it felt comfortable too. Anyway, Turtle has quite generous adjustment laces to fit different sizes. And I chose black to HiViz - I used to wear HiViz jackets before, but I could never wash them out from dirt (they become dirty and stay dirty no matter how much I wash them except stripping a bit of the top layer of the reflective coating). Seller also confirmed that I would struggle cleaning HiViz vest
The item arrived, I tried it on. The manual says that it should reach half way down the buttock when deflated. This will ensure it will cover the pelvis. I sent photos to Peter asking his expert opinion and he said he still believes it still provides adequate protection, I don’t need size. However, if I want to be sure, I can fire the vest to see how far below it protects and he will send a replacement canister. And he offers free exchange for vests in any case. So, I decided to keep it. Not sure about firing, but maybe I will, I still have time to decide
Now I start wearing the vest and see how well it works
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1