Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hello all-new rider here. Advice/questions :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:37 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Hello all-new rider here. Advice/questions :) Reply with quote

Hello all Smile

I am 30, have a lot of experience riding off road as a yoof, some fairly gnarly bikes (cr250, xr400) but never anything on the road. I recently decided to do a cbt for the cheap commute during the summer, with the view to getting something like an xr125, as it would feel familiar and I could show it a gentle green lane if I fancied.

However, after actually doing my cbt (walk in the park , lasted about 2 hours) I've fallen in love with being on the road! Screwed the idea of a 125 enduro, and got myself a 13 year old cg125 (about £700 bought, insured fully comp and taxed for year lol) to practice on. Still enjoying it however I know i want to do my full test asap.

I've had one lesson, on a Kawasaki er6n, which tbh I thought was lovely. Nice riding position, good mix between comfy and feeling good in the twisty stuff. Liked the way the parallel twin delivers it's power with good torque low down.

However in a bit stuck on what to get for my first bike. Like I say, I have minimal road experience, but am totally comfortable on the road (have been driving car for over a decade tbf, know it's totally different though) and have ridden some fairly gnarly bikes in the past.

I was looking at stuff like cbr600f or Yamaha yzf thundercat. Although my mate (50's, riding since before I was even born, I respect his opinion lol) says he wouldn't recommend it for first year. he reckons a big trailee, single cylinder is good for your first year as you'll learn good road habits. For example minimal grip on the font you have to learn to manage your grip and load the front end, fairly savage engine braking meaning you'll learn to manage throttle better in corners etc.

Now, I have looked at a few and I have seen a lovely dr650, restored from the ground up and well within my budget. I think I might go with his suggestion, get the big fat trailie and learn to ride a "powerful" bike on the road on it before moving onto something a bit more sporty . Chances are I'll keep the Dr at the end of that year anyway as I'll not need to sell it to fund another bike.

Anyway, thought chaps? (And any ladies too don't want to be a chauvinist lol)

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Hello all-new rider here. Advice/questions :) Reply with quote

The_west wrote:
cbr600f

Not a bad choice, to be honest. I'd go for that over the trail bike, but that's my personal preference talking.

The great thing about getting the full licence is ... you can ride whatever you want! Don't let us boss you about Wink

If you really like the DR, I say go for it!

edit: Teflon Mike will be along in a minute, to paste in a scree of text that you really don't need to read. Just saying.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:02 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for reply. Tbh, I do kinda see what he's saying about learning to ride on road on something that will tell you immediately I you're being a cock lol, rather than something that grips amazingly and all of a sudden you're at 14000rpm making 100hp and realise I don't have a clue what I'm doing lol.

It's the kind of bike I think I'd happily keep forever anyway, even if I do decide to get a crotch rocket after a year or so. Can't take one of them down a dirty trail lol.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:15 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy thought, but... an ER6. N or F. I'm a fan of twins, and I do... urgh... sort of agree with the more lucid parts of the "modren supersports 600s are DANGEROUSE" screed that Mike is currently typing.

IL4s are smooth, and fun when you rev the nuts off of them. But you need to do that to get them to wake up. I was astonished by how little fun I had on a CBR600F. A nakedish Fazer 600 was a little better, a Bandit 650 was a barge. If you've run out of road by the time you've wound them up, and then have to back straight off, what's the point?

My 800 twin offers much more usable grunt at sensible speeds, and my ickle 250 can be abused to buggery without putting me into the scenery or gaol.

So, in summary: Street Triple. Whistle

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:20 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have lessons, I just did my mod 1 and 2 on a 22 year old CG125 and then put up with the restriction for 2 years after. I was on a tight budget though, I got a GPZ500 and ran that for a few yrs - now have a YBR250, the power is fine and weight is good for me (I am only 9 stone wet through) and need to move the bike around without the engine running. I did fancy and still do a trailee and would of had a 125 trailee instead of the ybr 250 but the salesman talked me round about the power and road rideing which for my use I did need the 250 so he was right. Being a single cyl whereas the GPZ was a twin the engine breaking is move savage and having to run at higher revs because 250 not 500 has took some adjusting to but I am happy. Would still like a 250 trailee though when the budget allows.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:45 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

]Crazy thought, but... an ER6. N or F.

No I don't think that's too crazy at all! Like I said I rode one on a lesson and found it very nice, pulls in 5th from 3000rpm without needing to tapdance through the box to find some torque.

I think I read one of your previous posts saying " il4 s make their fun at speeds I'm not comfortable with" and tbh I'm kinda along that way of thinking. Then again I'm used to riding off road where 30mph feels like you're doing silly speeds lol.

My current options are dr650, er6, or cbr600f. Tbh....if I don't get the Dr I'm bidding for on eBay I reckon I may go for the Kawasaki. To me more grunt from lower revs is more fun and often quicker in the real world.

Shitty roads and pot holes etc would favour the Dr, as would the taller riding position. I just don't knowwww. Tbh as I keep seeing your first bike is never your last so I may get the Dr . The question isn't whether I'll like it or not, I know I will. What's not to like? I'm not that fussed- about breaking the ton, I like torque and dirt.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:10 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy the bike you know you like (ER6) rather than one you might not (DRZ or CBR).

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:19 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for a bike to cope with pot holes! When I had the Kawasaki the front seals needed doing twice because of rough roads and in the end when it was traded as scrap they needed doing again.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre '14 MT-03, Yam's single 660 motor, roadbike frame.

Best of both worlds.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Er6? Reply with quote

Would keep an open mind whilst you get through licence, versys (er6 engine) is a good bike that'll do a little green lane work with correct boots and some off road experience. However, a dr650 is a great thumper, it may also be better off road than a versys due to tyres available.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:50 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy. wrote:
Just buy the bike you know you like (ER6) rather than one you might not (DRZ or CBR).

I get what you're saying, although I know I'll like the dr. Whilst the er6 will feel better if I'm having a ride for fun, the sheer versatility, reliability and general toughness of the dr may be swinging the balance in its favour lol.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:56 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all advice/replies btw chaps- I think I have decided I'm going to go for the dr. I've ridden one before and know i wouldn't be "unhappy" with one, lovely torque, bombproof, off road ability. Depending on how I gear it, it'll be good for around 100mph which is plenty (obviously would never take it past 77mph)
I can kind of see it as the kind of bike I'd never get rid of, and then in a year's tine (or however long teflon Mike thinks I should wait) I will probably get something a bit sportier. Not have to worry about best of both worlds when you can just get both lmao.

Also what dyu reckon about stuff like the dr being worth serious money in the future? I only ask as I see 1960/70s off road bikes in mint condition going for silly money

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_west wrote:

Also what dyu reckon about stuff like the dr being worth serious money in the future? I only ask as I see 1960/70s off road bikes in mint condition going for silly money

Get the bike to ride & have fun on, don't get it as an investment ..

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:35 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only asking out of curiosity, the bikes a hoot

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:00 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR650 is a perfectly reasonable choice, if you can find a good one. eBay shows only a handful have been sold in the past few months, and the majority were sold as spares or repair / needs some TLC / easy project / butchered to buggery.

You can only buy the best example that's actually for sale, and it's not a bike that I'd hold out for or throw a lot of money at.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:35 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are getting old now! The one in particular I'm looking at is 1992 lol...although he claims restored from the ground up over last decade, barely ridden with mot certs to prove lack of miles in last decade. Clams receipts to prove all work done, original clock claims 11000 miles....says it'll go for minimum 1800. Sounds a bit too good to be true, I'll be taking along my rider mate who could literally disassemble any bike to individual components, out it back together and not have a single bolt or washer left so he'll be able to tell me if there's anything g wrong with it

Last edited by The_west on 09:38 - 02 May 2018; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:35 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty clean I think?!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:04 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's certainly been given a wash.

If it is that good, then I expect it will go for over £2K and hold or increase its value, unless you drop it or it gets pikied.

On that, I'd be looking at an agreed value policy for it, or you can expect to be offered a handful of spare change for it in a claim.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:12 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Har-har Wink

He says reserve is at 1800, it was sold at 1800 a few weeks ago but he re listed it due to the winning bidder then asking for a few weeks to get the cash together lol.

I'd be happy to go up to 2k but no more.

What's this agreed value policy- type of insurance?

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:14 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see what you're saying about the agreed value policy- I'll look into it and how it would affect the premium Vs taking the hit if it gets nicked or I wrap it around a tree

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Dr650. Reply with quote

I'd pay that money for a Nazi tractor like the 'Borg' has. I thought you'd found a bargain. I've (mrs k) got a 94 enduro that stsrts and sounds lovely for a 20 year old bike too. Rides like one as well.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:33 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still doing the training, talk to staff there that you are looking for a bike too and ask if you can try any of the others in their fleet if they have more. Usually they are decent helpful people.

Jelly of that DR through, been lusting after a early RS with a kicker for some of the off-road touring we have coming up in europe down the line.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:51 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An agreed value policy is a policy where as the name suggests - the value is "agreed" but with strings attached.

Only certain bike insurers issue them and you probably won't find one on a comparision site - if you did the quote would be a total guess because the underwriter will quote bespoke terms. In my recollection from my insurance broking days
- mileage certificate at start and evidence of history (mot history etc)
- security standards
- limited mileage
- photographs of everything submitted to go on file
- exclusions for issues under certain circumstances
- no commuting to work

mainly these policies were issued for classic bikes and cars and there was the expectation that the bike or car would only come out in a blue moon.

Good luck - I would love one!

Stephen

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:47 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see myself getting one of those tbh, I'll be doing a lot of miles Smile

Also it's not like it's worth Megabucks, if I chuck it down the road I'll take the hit and well, i know NOTHING is theft proof however if you manage to steal a bike from me, you probably deserve it lol. You'd need mission impossible type skills and crocodile Dundee dog calming abilities lmao

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:48 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have a dog flap on my back door and my 3 year old highly trained, highly loyal and incredibly protective German shepherd roams the grounds freely 😂
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2