Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best fuel consumption 125cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

larks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:43 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Best fuel consumption 125cc Reply with quote

Looking for a 125 that I don't have to fill up too often. Scooter or bike, but probably bike. Any advice welcome.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the 4 strokes 125'sare all as frugal as the resultant offspring of a Jock and a Yorkie. Not much in it whichever you go for.

How often you have to fill rather than how much it costs to fill? The one with the biggest tank size!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:29 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you are going to get Teffed so hard.

As above, any 4 stroke 125. You'll see 100mpg from even the crustiest carbed hack, up to 130mpg from something like an MSX 125.

Pick anything in your budget with the biggest tank, leaning towards Japanese branded if possible, enjoy. Don't over think it, there's no perfect bike.

larks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:38 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was hoping on advice on the biggest tank size without having to trawl through every potential model and find out the tank size...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:47 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 125 bikes are about 13 litres. Most 125 scooters are about half of that. How far you'll actually get will depend more on the usable rather than notional fuel in the tank, your right wrist, and your tolerance for risk / willingness to push it to a petrol station. Figure about 200 miles for a bike, 100 for a scooter, which is pretty good going compared to bigger engine bikes.

The Varadero 125 has 17.5 litres, and is generally recommended if you can find a good one. The youngest one out there is 9 years old by now though, so it's becoming less likely.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

larks wrote:
Looking for a 125 that I don't have to fill up too often.

Lulz, any of them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mpg is a starting point. My (Moto GP) 125 scooter just seems to sip fuel.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little CG uses so little fuel and I use it for such short journeys that i keep forgetting that I have to put some in occasionally. I've run out about 4 times in the last year. It has no gauge or resettable milage display. Thanks k fuck for the reserve option.

The modern injected bikes are even better.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The Varadero 125 has 17.5 litres, and is generally recommended if you can find a good one. The youngest one out there is 9 years old by now though, so it's becoming less likely.

There did seem to be a limited run of them in some Honda dealers last year - I don't know why or how.

But here's an example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-XL125V-VARADERO-125/232749151176?hash=item3630ee33c8:g:nocAAOSwnoVa4DW4

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that as well. I saw 2 in Edinburgh brand new but they were expensive.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

larks wrote:
I guess I was hoping on advice on the biggest tank size without having to trawl through every potential model and find out the tank size...

No point in having a big tank if your MPG is shite.

https://www.visordown.com/features/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-longest-range-bikes

Quote:
4. Honda CB125F
Big tank ranges aren't just the preserve of bikes with big, under-stressed engines and large tanks - as the economical Honda CB125F ably demonstrates. This little 125 only has a 13 litre fuel tank but with claimed consumption of 145mpg, that means it could be possible to get in incredible 413 miles from a tank. If you think 145mpg is a tad optimistic, a quick look on Fuelly many owners regularly report a fuel consumption of 112mpg, which means they're getting almost 320 miles from a tank.

Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuel injected YBR125 averaged a genuine 110mpg without any effort, and that's commuting in central London.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:47 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
There did seem to be a limited run of them in some Honda dealers last year - I don't know why or how.

How peculiar. I wonder if insurers are keen on them.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If highest mpg is the most important criteria then forget bikes and buy a Honda PCX 125 with stop start system as std. These always seem to do over 120mpg, but can do 130mpg in some conditions.

I don't know much about high mpg 125's these days, but I'm happy to recommend several 125's in the 35-40mpg area. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:29 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP seems to want tank range, which is something that I agree with. It was a hassle filling my 11L Burgman 400 so often, especially with the location of the filler.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
My fuel injected YBR125 averaged a genuine 110mpg without any effort, and that's commuting in central London.

And with it's replacement, the YS125, you get a whole extra litre of fuel capacity!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

How peculiar. I wonder if insurers are keen on them.

Honda testing the water to see if it's worth making them again? Can't really see it though.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:20 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is tank range so important?
I mean.. it's usually my numb arse telling me I have gone too-far on the 125 long-long-before I'm starting to fret that petrol stations seem to be a bit thin on the ground...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:52 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I mean.. it's usually my numb arse telling me I have gone too-far on the 125 long-long-before I'm starting to fret that petrol stations seem to be a bit thin on the ground...

I think it's more for convenience on the commute as opposed to for long continuous runs. I used to commute a bit on my MT-07, and doing my commute meant filling up every day. An extra couple litres might have stretched that to every other day, which would've been convenient.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

39 words? (according to https://wordcounter.net/ ... no, i couldn't be arsed to check)

What have you done with the real TM ? Wink

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once put my R125 to the test.

Rode very gently and kept the revs low after filling it up.

Can't remember the exact milage I got from the tank but, it was between 280-300 miles before I bottled it and filled up at the next garage. Dance!

Tbh, the one thing that pi$$es me off about riding a big boys bike, is the amount of times I have to refuel. Last time I checked, I was getting around 34.5 mpg from the er6f.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done probably almost 45miles running in on 4.7L of fuel on a 125, but it could hold almost 9L if I could work out how many Slippery synthetic Esters that would need? Laughing

I do have a vague recollection of beating the hell out of a CG125 decades ago, and it doing over 200miles and still not touching reserve. What were they a 14L tank?

Shaft won't like this, but out of everything I've owned capacity for capacity, scooters were the worst on fuel, not just tank range. Those expanding belts absorb an awful lot of power that the rear wheel never sees, as does running constant rpm on acceleration.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:42 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Last time I checked, I was getting around 34.5 mpg from the er6f.

Take a deep, calming breath.

Centre your chi.

When you feel ready, and only when you feel ready, raise your left foot, holistically.

Congratulations: you have now discovered 2nd gear.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book says my 125 augt return something like 100mph. Same book, says my 750, should only return 50.
750's tank, is relatively large, holds 4.2 imperial galleons.
125's is also relatively large, for a tiddler; holds a claimed 3.7 Imperial sloops....
In theory, the 750 should give a range of about 200 miles, the 125 a range of almost 400 miles....
In PRACTICE... means squat!
Round town, neither return anywhere close to what the book says they should... depends on right wrist, frustration, trappic light GP's and road-works.....
Out of town...... it STILL depends on the right wrist, T-Junction GP's and road-works! Oh... and what mood I am in! Which is probably the more pertinant.
The 125 gets thrashed mercilessly.... that's why I keep one about! Ride the 750 like I hooligan... and I probably wouldn't end up dead... just give myself a hernia trying! 125, begs to be caned to get anything out of it, and conveniently can deliver almost all it has without breaking too many speed limits along the way.... or my small intestine!
Consequently, I tend to get worse than book from the 125, and better than book from the 750... and they BOTH average out at around 70mpg... the 125 being thrashed, the 750 tending to be used on longer runs, in rather more laid-back manner......

MEANS.... err, well there's half a clipper difference between the quoted tank size of either.... and both will be running onto reserve at around 200-250 miles.....

For where you are quibbling... well, AFAIR the MT07 has a peculiarly small tank to begin with 14liters.. what's that in English,. err... 4.5 Napoleons to a galleon... err... 2 and a half gallons, ish? Fuel winjected, it probably dont have a reserve, just an anoying lamp that blinks on the fuel guage when it gets 'low' set to come on rather concervatively not a lot beneath half full...... assuming you dont ride for best mpg, and you stuffer the sitty-snarl, what, 50ish mpg? You probably have that lamp pigging you off in around 60-70 miles from jazza... slopping over the filler cap on the fore-court..... sort of suggests a longer commute, if you have to fill every day.... b-u-t....

The issue of tank-size, probably ISN'T that much of a big deal in the greater scheme of stuff..... neither is book quoted MPG... it comes down to how you use it, and whether you get even anywhere close to that book quoted MPG, and the range of the quoted tank-size down to your tolerence for blinking lamps, and natural parania levels..... A-N-D you will probably not find a different bike, inherently solves the problem.....

For every-day commuter.... the apparently high MPG of a 125 does look good... but I rarely get it..... and get as good from a big bike I dont feel compelled to thrash as hard.... larger tank-size, for greater range, then becomes a little less critical, and how often you have to fill up... the 'REAL' issue here, it seems.... is something you either live with.... or not. Move closer to work, get a job closer to where you live, let a bus-driver worry about the fill-ups at the depot, sort of thing.

How long does it take to fill up?

Maybe 10 minutes a day, it could rather dent the time savings you expect and probably dont see taking the bike, wheretogging up either end, eats another chunk of unpaid life.... B-U-T is that less than an hour a week, more of less wasted filling a bike with fuel, than waiting for the wrong bus to turn up, or the boss to moan about your helmet hair or the puddles under your wet-weathers on the back of the door?!?!? And how much time 'really' is that compared to other 'routine maintenance' like checking the oil level, and the other stuff you probably dont, but probably should, do, like cleaning the lamps and number-plate, or de-icing the speedo on a frosty morning?

All needs putting into context, not looking at under the microscope..

THEN, is a smaller bike, with a notional and oft only presumed bigger tank and tank range, really a solution to much if anything, or just a different mix to the compromise?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:24 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
What have you done with the real TM ? Wink

Aaaaaah, there we go.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2