Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fun, economical, 100 mile round trip commuter. Thoughts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DSAA
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:49 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Fun, economical, 100 mile round trip commuter. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Looking for my first big bike. Recently passed DAS, learning on an NC750S.

I work away from home, and make the 100-mile round-trip between home and work roughly twice a week. If I include my (very) generous holidays, this works out to be roughly 5,000 - 6,000 miles PA commuting. Plus a few for myself. I’m working on a conservatively high estimate of 8,000 miles PA. I’m keen for my bike to be a mixture of a tool and some fun, with the emphasis being on reliability and economy (fuel and maintenance).

With this primary purpose and number of miles in mind, and with as close to year-round riding as snow and ice permits, I’m trying to formulate where to spend my money. Any bike that I buy will be on some form of finance - so new or nearly new are where I’m focusing, but I’m open to other second-hand models if they’re hard wearing. I’d rather avoid models that have a reputation for easily rotting.

On a very loose short list at the moment are:

- NC750S/X (X preferable, extra 1k for riding position less preferable)
- FS800ST
- G650GS
- CB650F, currently on a great offer with Honda PCP but MPG is around 55MPG.

I don’t have anything against a second hand bike that comes with appropriate history, but I’m conscious that higher cost comes with a longer finance term, and my concern is the longevity of the bike if it’s taken over 5 or 6 years. So a major thought is the cost vs longevity balance.

Something that is fun to ride, but a workhorse that sips from a tiny cup would be a dream - though I feel this may be like hoping for a size 8 red-head stunner, who has a masters in engineering, is financially independent, and likes helping the homeless and degreasing engines at weekends, to make the first move when you’re both sat in your local boozer. (In essence, a unicorn). It’s all but certain that this will be a multi-year investment, not a summer long toy.

Anotomically, I’m 6’3”, with a 32/33 inseam - so a compact bike isn’t ideal. My 125 is killing me.

Does anybody have any advice / insight in to the models above?
Any thoughts on my internal strife of new vs old. Cost vs reliability. Fun vs practicality?
What about models that fit the purpose that I haven’t considered?
Any curveballs that you’d throw in for good measure?

Edit:

Total price depends on the monthly cost really. E.g. CB650F currently on for <£100 per month brand new on a 4 year deal. For straight finance, I’d max out somewhere between 6k and 6,500, but that would have to be over the upper end of my 5-6 year window.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versys?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever you choose, if you go down the pcp route, make sure you check the mileage restrictions/limits, as, it could end up costing you alot more

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Versys?
I'm getting 55mpg on my Versys, that's a 100 miles a day, I reckon 70% at 80-90mph and 30% filtering through heavy traffic in 1st/2nd gear. I have the 1000, I reckon the 650 twin version would be a bit better on fuel.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:48 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Fun, economical, 100 mile round trip commuter. Thoughts? Reply with quote

Good shout from linuxyeti - PCP bikes are effectively rentals and not really meant to be used. If you can't afford to ride it or drop it, you can't afford to rent it.

DSAA wrote:
FS800ST

F800ST stopped in 2013. If you mean the F800GT, it's a decent shout if you can get past the looks. I can't get my 800 twin to go below 65mpg even on a stop-start commute. Belt drive is ace, I loved the belt on my Gpz 305 and wish more manufacturers would go with them.

DSAA wrote:
G650GS

The single? That hasn't been available new for a few years, unless you can find some new-old-stock. Not great for motorway or dual carriageway work, it put a tingle in my Special Area above 60mph. The Loncin made engines also have issues with the oil cooler turning into a "total loss" system.

DSAA wrote:
CB650F, currently on a great offer with Honda PCP but MPG is around 55MPG.

Mmm, Fuelly confirms. That is surprising, even MCN managed closer to 60mpg, and they thrash the nuts off of their test bikes.

DSAA wrote:
It’s all but certain that this will be a multi-year investment, not a summer long toy.

Then test riding is crucial, rather than deciding on vital statistics. Mail order wives are such a gamble.

DSAA wrote:
What about models that fit the purpose that I haven’t considered?
Any curveballs that you’d throw in for good measure?

As above, Versys, or V-Strom. Tracer 700.

Does the CB500 fail the fun test? It's not exactly a throwabout lightweight, but it's cheapish and frugal. No need to go for the X model, bag a bargain F, throw a taller screen on it and you're good to go. I ask because you're considering a 35kW single.

Oh, merciful Allan, this is in New Bikers. I can feel a Tefstorm a'brewing.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:33 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR500R? (or f or x, but the r offers decent mix of fun and wind protection for commuting).

Fuel economy is great. 200 miles from a tank. The 'modest' power means consumables all last ages and are cheap.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Fun, economical, 100 mile round trip commuter. Thoughts? Reply with quote

DSAA wrote:

Anotomically, I’m 6’3”, with a 32/33 inseam - so a compact bike isn’t ideal. My 125 is killing me.

I'm similar, 6'2" and 33/34, found a ybr125 to be all day 250 mile comfortable.

Only really chipping in to repeat the classic line, whatever you choose, you must test ride it.

CB500F should get you 65mpg easily. But I found it an impossibly dull bike. "It's half a Honda Jazz" should not be put forward as a positive.
That said, the low ground clearance did provide some peg scraping amusement, but that's clutching at straws.

I'd take CB650F all day over the 500. You lose 10mpg but you might actually enjoy it.

MT07 keeps getting good reviews. But seems small.

ER6F. I quite like them. 60mpg but some issues around finish.

KTM 690 does 65mpg but electronics stories...

vstrom 650. Worth considering.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a Fazer, nice easy bike to get on with.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Ok go. Reply with quote

Gsr 750/ z800 will tick all your boxes. Ridden like you borrowed them will return high 50's. More cc and more cylinders will make commute nicer. Vfr 800 or crossrunner variant is worth considering. Lumpy twins, are....lumpy twins and a choice. Il4 will always win for a smooth commute on m/way. Cb/r650 not a bad bike, but an fz8 shouldn't be off your shopping list.
Remember, it's your money and we are here to help/laugh.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Fun, economical, 100 mile round trip commuter. Thoughts? Reply with quote

DSAA wrote:

On a very loose short list at the moment are:

- NC750S/X (X preferable, extra 1k for riding position less preferable)
- FS800ST
- G650GS
- CB650F

Your idea of fun is clearly different to mine, but I guess you can be forgiven for that as you're new to it all.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:00 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a problem of bike choice but 'expectation'.
ANY bike can be fun.... depends what you do with it....
They tend NOT to be such fun when they DON'T do what you hope or expect them to... here in lies the hint.

You want a big bike, and you want to commute on it.... which is a bad start from the off, I have to say.....

Work ent fun... if it was supposed to be fun there'd be a turnstile on the door like at a fun-park, not a clock-in machine... and they'd want you to pay them for going, not t'other way about..... So.. going to work, isn''t going to be a hoot.... first up you are only half awake, and probably dont want to be... and so are all the other baffoons on the road.... give or take the annoying bast'ds with Radio-1-DJ-Itus, who are perpetually jolly, and the law should let you SHOOT for being so bludy chirpy that early BC... Before-Cafine!!!

So, you have to deal with half awake baffoons, all seeminly not paying attension to what they are about, whilst they try remember what the missus told them not to forget before they went to sleep last night, what the boss is going to moan about them not doing, and how many awkward customers or collegues etc they are going to have to contend with, and how soon..... ALL seemingly trying to kill you..... even if you haven't displayed Radio-1-DJ-Itus..... This is very NOT 'Fun'.

Dealing with that on a moped, isn't hoing to be very much more or less fun than trying to deal with it on an R1... the paranoia will still be every where, it will just shift where the frustration lies......

Come the Week-end... NOW you can have 'fun'... it's your own time, go do what you like with it.....

But STILL... public roads are just that; they aren't a free-for-all play-ground or race track... they are STILL not supposed to be where you have 'fun'... that's what theme parks and massage parlours were invented for.....

And many many ways to have 'fun', with or without a motorbike......

My personal preferred masochism with a motorcycle was competition trials.... wonderful sport, and about the cheapest motor-sport you can take part in. You can buy a bike to do it on for under a grand, and it dont have to be the latest must have hot-snot bit of tackle raved about in the magazines, or even close.... as it's not a test of speed, the bikes dont have to be highly tuned, or highly strung, and so tend not to get thrashed to death in a season, or become obsolete before the stickers go out of fashion....

These were all significant sales features for the persuit when I was a school-boy... they still hold true now.....

Next up; different clubs have different schemes; but you need join one, and you need get an ACU 'Trials' licence through them; and then you pay an entry fee and turn up and ride.... you dont need a private medical exam like road-racing nor do you need competition insurance like Moto-X, you just need the Club membership, ACU ticket and an entry.... for a 12 event 'season' with one club, you are still only looking at something like £180 or so, before travel and fuel and fixing bent foot-pegs.... it REALLY dont come much cheaper than this, and you DONT need an MOT, you dont need road traffic act complient insurance, you dont need road-tax, it really is, cheap and easy, and you dont HAVE to go to an event if you or the bike is too battered bruised or banged up.... B-U-T you get five or six hours of pure 'Fun' saddle time for your money, and no paranoia about yellow boxes or SMIDYs along the way....

NOW! I had to run a car anyway. Taking the road-bike off the road, and SORNING it... saved me my entire trials costs, competing with two clubs, once a fortnight, and doing wild-card entries with others and or practice days or sesions when I had the inclination, for am entire years, plus some... in fact just taking "And Commuting! of the bike insurance would probably have covered the costs of all the entries!

A-N-D I took the car to work... beat up old Montego, as it happens... but who cares... it was 'cheap' and I saved more money to go trialzin with it... and stayed warm and dry and didn't get helmet hair on the way to work... NO.... not much 'fun'... but then neither is dodging SMIDYs in the rain, before full quota of cafine!!!

And that's the point.... seperate the variables... dont try bagging up SO many hopes and aspirations and expectations into ONE vehicle, as a Jack-of-All-Trades that you set up ONLY to fail somewhere along the line.... either costing too much on the commute; not delivering the fun on the week-ends and or and or, where ever, in all the thing syou are hoping the thing will do for you.

You want a commuter.... nope... you NEED to get to work... Is a motorbike, ANY motorbike the best way to do that? What is the most cost effective, or time effective way of doing that? SOD the 'FUN' its never going to be even slightly, if you HAVE to do it every day, along with a gazillion other baffoons, Before Caffeine!

NOW.. that 'need' parked.. FUN! What do you think of as Fun? Whats the best way to get it? How much would that cost? And IS... and do think long and hard about this.. does it really need to involve a motorcycle at all?

It ISN'T about the bike... it really isn't... its about your aspirations and expectations, and how you value your lesire time and disposeable income.....

In a similar manner, I had a colleague a number of years ago who's favoured persuiy was Scuba-Diving.... I cant remember the name of the place, national dive center in an old quarrey near Leicester the Scrap-Heap people dumped a couple of Mini's in for one of thier shows.... but that was where He and his G/F were to be found every week-end, and other time they didn't have to go to work... UNTIL, he had a wibble, and griped that they were looking at the same 'shit' in the same muddy water 'all the time', and wouldn't it be nice to see that reef and all the exotic fish in Australia, that was in one of their hobby mags.... A-N-D.. for going quantity for quality...pair of them did a whole-scale audit of the house-hold finances; they got rid of one of the cars, and the HP installements on it; replaced the other with a banger to get rid of the installements on that; cut out a load of stuff they didn't actually enjoy all THAT much.... and 'lived' for three diving holidays in clear, warm, tropical waters, with real colourful fish instead... A-N-D I recall saved the money to get married out of the deal too! Though thier honey-moon was in Egypt, and mostly under-water......

THIS is the sort of thinking, and you dont have to go to that kind of extreme... BUT the 'fun' is not a property of the motorcycle... its in your aproach to the persuit, and your expectations and aspirations, and THEN how you choose to draw the circle to get as much fun inside the line as you can for your money.....

Many many ways to do that.... one obviouse one is two bikes. One for the daily grind, one for the week-end. Taking hack miles off the week-end play-thing; taking "Plus Commuting" off its insurance policy, but more significantly taking lots and lots of probably very expensive miles wearing out expensive consumeables to square off tyres so they aren't great come the week-end, can save more than enough money to justify the second bike, and its road-tax and lower "Lesure use Only" insurance.. the fun bike also doesn't have to be dependable, so you dont need fret about getting something ultra new and under warranty; or paying high main stealer service costs to maintain that warranty... if it dont work... to me... more fun playing spanners! Daily 'Hack' can be just that, as long as it does the job of getting you to work, and it can even be a car! WHICH could haul a 'fun-bike to track days or trials, or whatever....

Back up... look at the bigger picture, and DONT try cram so many aspirations and expectations into one machine, that like as not can ONLY fail in fulfilling even a portion of them, a portrion of the time....

Get the expectations and aspirations into check... remember that the 'fun' is not in the bike, but what you do with it, and work, and going to work, is NOT supposed to be fun....

THEN see what you got, and where it takes you.

Heck.. a battered old C90, you dont have to fret about being nicked, or wearing out expensive tyres, or getting scratched or kicked over in the car-park, is a LOT of fun, wafting past petrol stations! It ONLY has to get you too and from work.... and if you have money spare in your pocket for the theme parks or massage parlours, that could be the most 'fun' you can get for the money you don't spend getting frustrated in the daily grind.... going to and from work...

It's NOT in the bike... its in your thinking....

Ponder that, rather than the bike-brochures, looking for an unattainable utopia.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking God help me as I almost agree with some of that.

But don't forget spinning this round towards the OP and modern young people culture etc, we live in a world of PCP and HP payments these days where people have lots of advertising shoved down their face, and incredibly tough decisions to make like which shiny badge do they want sat on their drive, which name on keyring on desk etc.

A £150 used Chinese takeaway plastic shitter, is for some/many a great no fucks given way of getting to work, but I suspect that OP like most people can't entertain riding around on something worthless and not fitting for their lifestyle or cashflow status.

You won't get MD's or sales executive's going to work on a Chinese scooter cable tied to stay together, it would undermine their position, ability and respect of thier colleges too much.

Oh and commuting on a bike, ask BCF'ers but I don't think it's cos fun or even bloody mindedness in most cases. Whenever I've commuted to work on a motorbike or even push bike, it's been because:

It's all I had to hand that works at the time or was in one piece. Or its because of parking being such a ball ache or hard to find, but plenty of room on footpaths, entrance drives, smoking shelters or plant rooms to stick a bike for the day and it be reasonably safe.

But unless your a looser living on a branch line then the train has always been the best way for me to get from fixed points of A-B. But being a mobile worker alot of the time nothing but a dirty big van would be a viable option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:13 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a 650f for a tiny bit...

from what I rode on it it was a fairly OK bike. not great top end grunt but low down torque and manouvrablilty was good (good for traffic i guess).

for long motorway journies id listen to other ideas though. a 750+ with a decent screen (you might look a bit more of a fag but a big screen is a godsend on the motorway).

or u could just fuck everyone off and get a Hyabusa and get to work twice as fast.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1