Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Missing the nerve

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Missing the nerve Reply with quote

I've been thinking.. (dangerous, buckle yourselves in).

I haven't owned a motorcycle for 3 years (since I made love to the back of a van at 60mph Neutral ). I've owned 14 different bikes in the past, ridden through all weathers, and during that period I just didn't think about the danger side to it. Now I feel a little jaded, I'm actually pissed off that I will probably never own another road bike. It's so true that it brings something that cars and other forms of transport can't, sense of freedom, all that bullshit.

Was just staring at an Aprilia RSV the other day parked next to my push bike, wanting to jump onto it and ride like a c*&^, but I'm just so aware of my mortality.

Anyone else had these thoughts? How long does it take to move the fu** on? Sick .

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:50 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Missing the nerve Reply with quote

If you do get another, consider some advanced riding, so you can rationalise, understand and mitigate the risks.

Or; trackdays! (Plenty of potential to hurt yourself if you're silly, but more fun before you do so Smile .)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:51 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop looking at RSV death engines.

Don't give up, buy a tiddler and go out and wring it's neck. A grom or something. Find where the fun started before it became serious business.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Missing the nerve Reply with quote

G wrote:
If you do get another, consider some advanced riding, so you can rationalise, understand and mitigate the risks.

Or; trackdays! (Plenty of potential to hurt yourself if you're silly, but more fun before you do so Smile .)

Totally understand the training. Main issue for me was how the accident was completely unavoidable. It involved a blind bend, an ambulance on a training course on the wrong side of the road.. jesus it was like a scene from Final Destination Laughing .

Trackdays are a probability. I still have my gear, so need to get on that this summer. I still have a supermoto scratch to itch, I always wanted to enter competitions. Blah!

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Stop looking at RSV death engines.

Don't give up, buy a tiddler and go out and wring it's neck. A grom or something. Find where the fun started before it became serious business.

But they sound so good. And the pillion seat is so tiny. Laughing .

That's probably the trick. A DT125 or something. Odd thing is I couldn't refuse riding scooters in Vietnam last year, the roads were mental but there seemed to be order. People on the roads here in the UK genuinely seem to be fucking deluded, which makes me hesitant.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a troll. Very Happy

Get on a motorbike and take it easy.

You need rehab.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:09 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my much, much less serious drop (which was entiely my own fault), I'd say the best thing is probably to get back on a bike asap and get on with it. You'll be a bit nervous and shit for a while, but it'll get better and bikes are fun, especially in the summer.

Grab something sensible, tiddler, 600, whatever and have a play. Buy second hand and choose wisely, you can go full fireblade in a couple months, no money lost.

It'll be reet.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my experience of discovering a load of black ice around Xmas time, which didn't end too well, I've had a really bad time confidence wise (was considering making a thread for advice but, was scared of being called a pussy Laughing ).

Even now if the roads are wet I tense up quite badly, which obviously makes things worse. I realise that I'm doing this and relax myself but, within a minute or two I've subconsciously stiffened up again (gigitty). Bends and roundabouts are where I bottle it mostly.

I use the bike for commuting and have no option but to ride it to work, so I ride most days and still find it an issue after almost 5 months.

Only over the past couple of weeks have I been feeling a bit more confident but, I suspect that may be down to the roads being drier as much as anything. Also, the state of the roads isn't helping, some of them look like they've been carpet bombed.

My theory is that if I stick with it long enough, I'll get through it but, it's taking so long to get there. Sad

Strangely enough, after my first two crashes I never gave a second thought to hopping back on a bike again and did so without issue.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been through a few spills, some minor, some major. After my worst one back in '91, I had no qualms about getting back on and still giving it the beanz, I think because although permanently disabled (minor-ish), I could still ride, was still young, and still loved the speed, and perhaps crucially, had no memory of the accident itself.

Relatively recently, I had a year or so riding with mates or alone in Wales, and I probably got to be the fastest, but with it (usually) the smoothest I've ever been. I learned more about how to ride properly in that time than all the years before put together, having also settled on a bike, with the right mods, to feel happiest doing it.

Then another relatively minor spill, but with major repercussions - I injured my back. That injury has left me feeling a lot more fragile. Since then, I really have eased off. I still have some fun when the mood and conditions are right, but i'm never looking to see how fast I can tackle the twisty stuff anymore. I stay firmly within my comfort zone when I get on the bike now. Have fun, sure, but never really attacking it now.

Touring became more of a thing for me, and have enjoyed that more than anything else I've done bike-wise. This, for me, is where the strongest of that sense of 'freedom' came.

Still enjoy riding more than anything now, on the odd occasion I get out.

The fact that you thought about being on that Aprilia and going nuts at least means some of the enthusiasm probably still lingers. I'd suggest buying something engaging but not mad, and getting out on quieter roads for a bit. Don't go nuts, just ease back into it, and see where it goes from there.

I would also suggest that you don't have to ride in all weathers just because you can, or commute. If a bike makes commuting easier/cheaper/quicker, then sure, but in my mind, bikes are first and foremost about the sheer enjoyment.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:21 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Missing the nerve Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:

Main issue for me was how the accident was completely unavoidable. It involved a blind bend, an ambulance on a training course on the wrong side of the road.

What had you done as far as road positioning goes for the blind bend?

Eddie Hitler wrote:

But they sound so good.
Record a fart and play it back in repeat through head phones?

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:23 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was considering packing it in.I just was not enjoying a ride unless i rode like a twat and i know my skill limit was going to get me hurt.I was the usual point and squirt superbike prick.

I bought a slower bike.Well i thought it was going to be slower, instead i found i am far more confident on this machine and i started riding with the aim of conserving speed.I am now much smoother and as a result consistently faster.I never realized this until a few weeks ago when a friend commented that he was having trouble staying with me and could i slow it down a bit.

Now as i am enjoying the ride more, i find myself going off on the bike at 7AM and getting home at 10PM most saturdays.
Taking only my phone, wallet and sat nav then just picking a direction and start exploring.

IMO pick up a mid range 400/750cc commuter / naked bike and re learn why you loved bikes in the first place. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:36 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Missing the nerve Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:
I will probably never own another road bike.

Dear Auntie BCF.

Ste for Mod to ban, all post-bikers.

And pre-bikers.

And bikers.

It's the only way for BCF to balance its books.

tl;dr version - buy rent a Harley.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:12 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my big crash I just played around on a field with a 125.

However, I'd suggest just grabbing a bandit or something and just going for a bimble.

Took me a good few weeks to build up confidence again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the modern world where risk is the enemy.
you lost.
lets face it we are all going to die.
why not have a little fun in the time you have left.
im not going to argue that getting killed doing something you love is better than getting killed by other stuff.
you still end up dead.
have fun in whatever way you can in the time you have.
if you are scared of bikes find something else,seriously if you are not having a good time at least some of the time you might as well punch your own ticket now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Then another relatively minor spill, but with major repercussions - I injured my back. That injury has left me feeling a lot more fragile. Since then, I really have eased off. I still have some fun when the mood and conditions are right, but i'm never looking to see how fast I can tackle the twisty stuff anymore. I stay firmly within my comfort zone when I get on the bike now. Have fun, sure, but never really attacking it now.

That's how I lost my mojo. After I wrote my bike off, I was back to 'normal' about a week after riding the hire bike. Then I didn't ride for a while, dwelled on not recovering from my injuries (bad back club Wink), and facing the prospect of either living with health problems for a long period of time, or most likely not fully recovering at all. Then you start questioning is it really worth it.

I had my MT-03 for two years after stacking it and never truly felt comfortable on it again (still not sure why). Getting the Street Triple was about seeing if it was the bike or me, and right now the car is more comfortable (again bad back), and 100 times less likely to get stolen so gets used more. However the bike still excites me and the apprehension when you're actually riding dissipates.

Maybe see how you feel when you actually get your leg over something?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

That's how I lost my mojo. After I wrote my bike off, I was back to 'normal' about a week after riding the hire bike. Then I didn't ride for a while, dwelled on not recovering from my injuries (bad back club Wink), and facing the prospect of either living with health problems for a long period of time, or most likely not fully recovering at all. Then you start questioning is it really worth it.

I had my MT-03 for two years after stacking it and never truly felt comfortable on it again (still not sure why). Getting the Street Triple was about seeing if it was the bike or me, and right now the car is more comfortable (again bad back), and 100 times less likely to get stolen so gets used more. However the bike still excites me and the apprehension when you're actually riding dissipates.

Bit different with me. I've been riding for 30+ years, and it's just where I always felt 'at home', so it actually would be hard for me to give it up altogether, short of physically not being able to get on a bike. I got straight back on the bike as soon as I felt able - in actual fact, it seems good for my back, as it sits me in just the right position to be comfortable, weight taken on the bars.

I had a similar thing to your wondering about the long term effects when I smashed up my shoulder, and it has limited me in all kinds of ways since. To this day, if I sit in one position for long, my shoulder gets stiff, and can be painful to get moving again. But riding a bike seems to keep just enough movement going that it doesn't stiffen up, even on long rides, although it'll get fatigued eventually, and need frequent short rests. Might even take a painkiller for it once in a while. Landed on it quite heavily in one later spill too, and it held up well, thankfully! But I initially had far more worries about what I would and wouldn't be able to do again after that one, some of which proved well founded. I've just adapted to it, where I can. Harder to adapt to a knackered back though.

It's not like I'm thinking about what might happen to my back were I to come off again, when I'm riding - it's more in my subconscious. As you suggest, if you love riding that much, you're fully engaged when on a bike, concentrating on that alone - all else is forgotten.

In fact, with the shoulder problem combined with the newer back injury, it's a wonder I can do anything at all Laughing But always, always, I seem to come out of these things still able to ride a bike Very Happy , whatever other limitations injury has put on me.

I did go off my FZ750 after I stacked that though. Couldn't put my finger on anything in particular - it was a very good bike in it's day, and I liked it a lot. Never gone off a bike that way before or since Confused Maybe it wasn't anything to do with crashing it, but it puzzles me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Scared another one off then!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Bit different with me. I've been riding for 30+ years, and it's just where I always felt 'at home', so it actually would be hard for me to give it up altogether, short of physically not being able to get on a bike. I got straight back on the bike as soon as I felt able - in actual fact, it seems good for my back, as it sits me in just the right position to be comfortable, weight taken on the bars.

I had a similar thing to your wondering about the long term effects when I smashed up my shoulder, and it has limited me in all kinds of ways since. To this day, if I sit in one position for long, my shoulder gets stiff, and can be painful to get moving again. But riding a bike seems to keep just enough movement going that it doesn't stiffen up, even on long rides, although it'll get fatigued eventually, and need frequent short rests. Might even take a painkiller for it once in a while. Landed on it quite heavily in one later spill too, and it held up well, thankfully! But I initially had far more worries about what I would and wouldn't be able to do again after that one, some of which proved well founded. I've just adapted to it, where I can. Harder to adapt to a knackered back though.

It's not like I'm thinking about what might happen to my back were I to come off again, when I'm riding - it's more in my subconscious. As you suggest, if you love riding that much, you're fully engaged when on a bike, concentrating on that alone - all else is forgotten.

In fact, with the shoulder problem combined with the newer back injury, it's a wonder I can do anything at all Laughing But always, always, I seem to come out of these things still able to ride a bike Very Happy , whatever other limitations injury has put on me.

I did go off my FZ750 after I stacked that though. Couldn't put my finger on anything in particular - it was a very good bike in it's day, and I liked it a lot. Never gone off a bike that way before or since Confused Maybe it wasn't anything to do with crashing it, but it puzzles me.

I think it could be that the MT-03's a tricky bike to ride, and can only be ridden one way (aggressively) if that makes sense, which's why I wanted something more compliant. I kinda see riding as a drug now, high risk, not good for you long term but a lot of fun Smile

I wouldn't say riding aggravates my back but if I am going through a bad spell it definitely affects my riding. My wrist problems (RSI from work) limit my mileage on the bike a lot more. I guess a back injury can get you thinking about your spine and potentially being crippled, I did buy a back protector after the crash even though how I landed it wouldn't have helped. I still wonder if wearing knee pads would have prevented my knee injuries/problems although I'm not even sure how they were sustained.

Actually just remembered I watched TT: closer to the edge around the same time, and the bit where the widow of a dead IoM racer said (something like) you don't get the fun without the danger helped with doubts I was having. If you want the joy you have to accept the risk, rather than thinking you're skilled enough to avoid anything, or that you won't f**k up at some point.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 01:01 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 crashes in 17 years of riding on the road. First was a woman who pulled out on me on my scooter 3 months after getting on the road.

Second was a woman on a push bike who flew in to the road and I hit her but didn't crash myself, she just fucked the nose cone up.

Third was quite recently, I was coming out the end of my street in November ish and still had racing scrubs on the RSV4. I throttled it and it just spat me off. I did over 2 grands worth of damage and it was only a 30-40mph spill.

I was quite apprehensive about riding it in the cold after that. I have not really ridden it much since fixing it and getting the Husqvarna 701. Went out on it last night and to be honest, it scared me a bit.

I don't think about it now but for a good month, I was quite scared of the tyres slipping from under me. Pal of mine did something similar over a year ago and it's still stuck in his head that he will come off on corners.

I have been absolutely nailing the husky's head in and it doesn't pop in to my head at all about the tyres / grip but soon as I jump on the RSV4, it kicks in.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I think it could be that the MT-03's a tricky bike to ride, and can only be ridden one way (aggressively) if that makes sense, which's why I wanted something more compliant.

And now you have a Street Triple?! Well, ok, you can ride those quite sedately, but when I finally clicked with mine, I found that I couldn't Laughing

But that's weird. Didn't worry about hurting my back again on that Confused
I think I'm just trying to get too analytical about it all, and that's never really been a thing with me and bikes. Bloody forums!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: It happens Reply with quote

We're not trading scar stories. That's for Henry Cole. (Next time) but, it does hurt when you fall off. Look at who was/is to blame and if its YOU....walk....and if it's you... WALK

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Re: It happens Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Look at who was/is to blame and if its YOU....walk....and if it's you... WALK

If I'd done that, I'd never have got beyond L plates Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Beyond l plates....explain....

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:22 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Missing the nerve Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:
Was just staring at an Aprilia RSV the other day parked next to my push bike,

Hmmmmm.....
You do know more cyclists are hurt each year than motor-cyclists?
Stats dont catch them all, cos they dont need to have a licence or insurance, or ride on the road; but per participant, per hour, per mile traveled, its actually MORE dangerouse to ride a push-bike....

Which is why parents dont have any qualms about sticking thier darling sprogs on the things... then go all to pieces telling them they cant have a motorbike whilst they live under thier roof, and hope they'll grow out of it....

Nowt as queer as folk though....

Ultimately, this comes down to that skew reasoning and difference between rational thought and emmotive thinking....

"MOTORBIKES!!! DANGER!!! Mince-Meat and ambulances! Carnage!"

"Push-Bikes.... sell em in Toy's are us... so what, just like an Barbie doll, ent-they?"

If you let that sort of emmotive thinking rule, you will never do anything that you 'feel' is dangerouse.... and die from something you that IS you dont think about... like climbing up a ladder to fix a hanging basket for the missus!!!!

Your call.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Beyond l plates....explain....

Maybe I misinterpreted you. You weren't saying if an accident is your own fault, quit riding then?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2