Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is there ANY way to silence this clown?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:58 - 06 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
M.C wrote:
Firearm holders are already targeted by criminals.

I was genuinely not aware of this, and am intrigued. How is this targeting undertaken?

The principle is that crooks look for people who fit the demographic for firearm ownership, exhibit signs of gun support (BASC stickers in their car etc) or get a mate in the medical profession to get up records of suspected firearms owners and check for the appropriate 'tag' (all FAC or SGC holders are noted as firearm holders on their GP notes). They then wait till they fuck off out and try and take guns from cars or their person.

As a general rule though, this occurs at such a low level that it isn't an issue at all.

Heres the total firearm crime stats from a few years ago.
https://publications.parliament.uk/p.../447/44705.htm

A very rough and dirty estimate for incidence could be provided thusly:

Table 1 in the link above documenting the total number of firearms crimes by type for 2008/9 suggests that of the 14,250 crimes documented, 2,422 could concievably have been sourced from license holders (619 shotguns, 1803 rifles). All other classes (imitation weapons, handguns, air rifles) are either unrestricted or banned. That gives an absolute maximum figure of 17.0% of offences which could be linked to certificate holders.

However, based on the Cullen report [See ref 19 in the link], of the 152 cases where the weapons origin was known, 14% involved legitimately held firearms. This, having been conducted in 1992-1994, may no longer be accurate, but serves as a reasonable baseline for what percentage of the absolute maximum 17% figure discussed above are related to legally sourced firearms.

So, 14% x 17% = 2.38% of the total case load could be assumed to be linked to legal weapons, based on this single data point.

2.38% x 14,250 = 339, so it's reasonable to assume that in the region of 340ish crimes per year involve the use of legally held weapons. Of these cases, approx. 50% involved the weapon being discharged, and of those instances where it was, approx 7.4% will lead to a death. Based on these stats therefore, 13 deaths a year can be attributed to firearms sourced from certificate holders, including instances of suicide by the lawful owner . For over a million guns held and used legally in the UK every year. it's worth noting that suicide is by far the most common crime involving legally held guns, and the only one harmed is usually the legal owner him/herself.

Interestingly, the original 14,250 figure for firearms related crime apparently makes up 0.3% of total recorded crimes for the time period examined. Extrapolating this suggests a incidence level of recorded crime of 4,750,000 per annum. Applying the proposed 340 crimes to this figure suggests that crimes involving legally held firearms account for (7.16x10^-5)% of the crime statistics, which, if I might say so myself, can probably be best described as 'statistically insignificant'.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 06 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Romans had it right - collect all the criminals together, put them in stadiums and let them stab each other with sharp items for public amusement. Forget 'Celebrity Cooking on Ice', this is the future...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:14 - 06 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Knife and gun crime rockets across England and Wales – as police numbers hit historic lows
Offences 'disproportionately concentrated' in London and other cities

Reported knife crime has seen a 21 per cent year-on-year spike across England and Wales, new figures show.

Gun crime has also seen a 20 per cent rise amid a surge in incidents being reported to police.

Forces registered 37,443 offences involving a knife or sharp instrument in the year ending September 2017 – the highest tally since comparable records started in the 12 months to March 2011. Gun crime saw 6,694 recorded offences."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/knife-gun-crime-stats-latest-england-wales-rise-increase-a8177161.html

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 06 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Is there ANY way to silence this clown? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

mentalboy wrote:
To aid those looking for his Twitter account

You don't have to look, I linked directly to it.

How's the conversation with him going, where you set him straight?

You are doing that, yes?

No, because I'm sure the doctor is correct,.
I've spent more time than I wish to in A&E departments across the country and seen blood on many of the floors, some of it my own - bloke with his arm in a Tesco bag from chainsaw mishap was perhaps the messiest thing I've ever seen, although woman pedestrian who'd had her head squashed by a car was a tad gruesome but it wasn't in hospital.
I think you'll find that those of us who don't wear blinkers are not stupid enough to believe that London hasn't 'had a long history of knife crime or that tooling up all the 'care in the community' with guns will improve the injury/death rate. I recommend you stick to tending sheep on your Croft.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:00 - 06 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcode wars in London: https://twitter.com/adzbanks1/status/992416707288412161?s=20

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie Yates in Chicago (no not the musical) raised an interesting point; apparently they have quite tight gun laws/no gun stores but firearms are smuggled in from other states.

Also I couldn't help notice the 9 killings (8 of them black) by officers stat, compared to 468 murders in the city (in 2015), which rose to 771 in 2016. It's another reminder of what BLM are protesting against Neutral

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

By and large, people:

Arrow Off themselves with their own household's legally held firearms.
Arrow Murder up other people with unlegal shooters that they'll get irrespective of any laws prohibiting them.
Arrow Use guns defensively at 1.6x to 10x the rate that they're used offensively by criminals.

There are three separate debates to be had here.

On balance, I'd rather have a shooter in the house than not.

However, what's stopping me isn't the Man, it's the Missus.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
By and large, people... use guns defensively at 1.6x to 10x the rate that they're used offensively by criminals..

Quote:
Given the large number of defensive uses of guns, that the purpose of the right to keep and bear is to stop government tyranny, and the legal and moral difficulties of taking guns away from "crazy people," Trump's prescription to "harden the target" and eliminate "gun-free zones" makes the most sense.

The government is considerably better armed than it was in the 18th Century.

Quote:
1 in 6 Americans who have used guns defensively believe someone would have died but for their ability to resort to their defensive use of firearms.

5 in 6 "defensive" shooters didn't believe lives were at risk but they did it anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:12 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
[Other numbers]

And yet the CDC still reckon that legally held USian guns are used defensively, to stop crime, at a significantly higher rate than they're used to commit it. They sound pretty racist.

Meanwhile Gun Free Londonistan is racking up an unlegal shooting every 5 hours or so, with legally held guns being used to deter or defend law abiding citizens from stabby-acid-muggers approximately once every never.

How many more, uh... "innocent" #BlackLivesMatter must die before Trump is impeached? Crying or Very sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guns in circulation over here are an ever dwindling supply, of mainly shoddily converted replicas and firearms older than your nan.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:30 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The guns in circulation over here are an ever dwindling supply, of mainly shoddily converted replicas and firearms older than your nan.

Citation? Razz

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Borgy boy Wink

Replica, converted and deactivated firearms have emerged as a major source of illegal guns, perhaps owing to the difficulties that criminals now experience in acquiring genuine lethal firearms.

The problem occurs when criminals find they can’t get new weapons from outside of the country. It would be fair to say we have seen an emerging increase in the use of these antique guns.

Can't find it but there was a report IIRC basically saying the same thing, and that guns tended to be rented and used by different assailants in multiple shootings.

Last edited by M.C on 01:12 - 08 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

And yet the CDC still reckon that legally held USian guns are used defensively, to stop crime, at a significantly higher rate than they're used to commit it. They sound pretty racist.

Used defensively or deter criminals? Obviously if our tooled up crim's are going to attack someone they are hoping that it is sweet old granny Smith with nothing more disabling than her bag of groceries, if they know they're going to cross Tony Martin they try to give him a wide berth.

US guns laws aren't actually too shabby, enforcement is crap though.

I've been out here permanently for just over two years and only about six/eight people I met have been killed or killed with guns, as well as a 15 year old nephew of my brother in law's who had a mishap with pistol while taking potshots at rats ( he deaded too). Mostly late teens/ early twenties sorting out their grievances.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:31 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that things have changed since those articles were written.

"Police trying to prevent terrorists from obtaining guns warn a rise in parcels being sent to Britain due to online shopping is helping criminals to camouflage firearms being smuggled into the country.

Dave Thompson, chief constable of West Midlands police and the national lead for countering firearms, said there had been a surge in the number of guns circulating in the UK.

In a Guardian interview, he said firearms were being reactivated overseas and then ordered for delivery into the UK. “Traditionally you’d have seen maybe six or seven years ago we’d be stopping people at Dover with 10 Baikals [a make of firearm] concealed in compartments in the car. That’s become less of a feature. What’s become more of a feature is weapons through the fast parcel system, individual items coming through.” "

"He said criminals were trying a range of tactics to avoid detection. “We have to watch a trend of disassembling the weapons and sending them in component parts.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/28/online-shopping-boom-criminals-smuggle-guns-uk-police-chief
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/police-seize-79-lethal-firearms-13272544
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12177409/Web-shopping-system-used-to-smuggle-guns-into-Britain-police-chief-warns.html

It sounds much safer to get a gun into this country by sending it with DHL / UPS / Fedex / etc etc where it'll just be one cardboard box among the thousands of boxes of crap that people buy on the internet everyday than it is to have someone carry it through customs.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I have some flintlock and matchlock pistols. The flintlock dualling pistol set I have would give you 1 shot per gun, accurate to about 100 feet and take a minute to load. I think I'd prefer a shotgun. Thumbs Up Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I believe that things have changed since those articles were written.

Maybe, but I remember having this argument with Jewlio and he couldn't show me AK47s in the UK; what the police were getting at (a Paris style attack). I believe smuggling has always been part of it, but according to the copper in that Guardian article:
'Thompson said guns and ammunition were still hard to acquire in the UK'

Edit: also came across this earlier.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:12 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone handed in an AK47 in Trowbridge last year on the first day of a gun amnesty. Razz

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/ak-47-assault-rifle-handed-771963

Admittedly it was a deactivated one so not illegal and can be bought from websites such as this one.

Even if you know someone who has the right machines and knowledge to reactivate one of those, getting your hands on some ammo must be a lot trickier. Laughing

As hard as it might be to acquire a gun in the UK, if you know a drug dealer then they'll know a more serious drug dealer who'll know someone even more serious etc etc. Unless the original source is someone growing weed in their spare room then it'll be coming from people involved in supply on a commercial scale.

So if the stars happen to align, you might know a guy that knows a guy who has a contact that could know someone that might know someone who's into guns. Of course, there's every chance that you'd just end up being robbed at gunpoint making the whole thing an exercise in futility. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:34 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rights or wrongs of where the guns are coming from in $CURRENT_YEAR (M.C. is wrong, Ste is right) aside, they are coming, and they are being used.

44% rise since 2014 in unlegal uses (2542 vs 1755 in London alone, seven a day. Grauniad link, therefore faxtual) .

0% rise in legal use for self defence by the law abiding citizenry (0 vs 0)

Acid-stabbings by Dindus who don't give a stuff about dem laws and that: https://i.imgur.com/FDYkEP7.gif

I'm still not seeing the factual problem with the God Emperor's pronouncement.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm still not seeing the factual problem with the God Emperor's pronouncement.

In the context of calls for reforms aimed at reducing access to automatic assault rifles and the like, suggesting that the baddies will just use knives doesn’t seem very helpful (except to the NRA audience). Someone spraying bullets through a crowd is going to do more damage than a knife-man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
In the context of calls for reforms aimed at reducing access to automatic assault rifles and the like

How "like" are we talking?

Automatic weapons have been strictly controlled for decades. I'm not aware of any automatic weapon being used for a domestic murder-kill.

And the God Emperor is moving to ban bump stocks.

So in that context, perhaps you'd like to revisit what he actually said, versus what you imagine he might have said if his position wasn't what you think it is.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not actually banned though, but nevermind. the point I was making was that,

Quote:
suggesting that the baddies will just use knives doesn’t seem very helpful (except to the NRA audience). Someone spraying bullets through a crowd is going to do more damage than a knife-man.

In the context of the speech, why do you think Trump mentioned the UK knife problem?

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:27 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should gives blacks guns so that they can kill other blacks more 'efficiently'

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:39 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitey also deserves a gun. Sad
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

In the context of the speech, why do you think Trump mentioned the UK knife problem?

Because it's shows that Dindu will Dindu, not matter what weapons are controlled more strictly.

"Dindu" in this case can also be angry, messed-up High School students with access to Mom's gun locker. Someone wanting to cause harm will maybe find a way, but it will be more difficult to kill en-masse, and you can't stab someone from a safe distance. It's not a good justification for the NRA's preference to do nothing about gun control.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7