Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

mash 250cc fuel injection problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

roger77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:29 - 06 May 2018    Post subject: mash 250cc fuel injection problems Reply with quote

My bike with 1500kms has a bad case of the "jerky throttle" in 1st and 2nd gear.
I believe this could be down to the FI system acting as a on /off switch at small throttle openings. A common FI problem it seems
Obvious faults like chain tension and throttle cable back lash have been checked
Any one know if a throttle tamer would solve the problem??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 06 May 2018    Post subject: Re: mash 250cc fuel injection problems Reply with quote

roger77 wrote:
My bike with 1500kms has a bad case of the "jerky throttle" in 1st and 2nd gear.
I believe this could be down to the FI system acting as a on /off switch at small throttle openings. A common FI problem it seems
Obvious faults like chain tension and throttle cable back lash have been checked
Any one know if a throttle tamer would solve the problem??

1500 kms? I’m guessing it’s new and still under warranty ? Surely you should be taking it back to the dealer ?
OR is it your style of riding that is making it feel that way ?

roger77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:31 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, yes the bike is new but I am in France for a couple of months with the bike.
Was looking for a diy solution as I am using the bike every day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:19 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered looking for a Workshop section?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mash going wrong Shocked

Linuxyeti will be along to tell you they are the bestest bikes in the whole wide world and never go wrong.

So Razz

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
A Mash going wrong Shocked

Linuxyeti will be along to tell you they are the bestest bikes in the whole wide world and never go wrong.

So Razz

Haha

Never claimed them to be the best bikes in the world, however, my Shineray manufactured Mash 400 is indeed very good, 3 years old, no corrosion to speak of, nothing other than usual comsumables needing to be replaced ..

However, if the OP is in France, there is a healthy network of Mash dealerships over there he could always enquire, perhaps even see if they can substitute the ecu in case there is an issue there, or possibly the throttle position sensor, if it has 1.

However, judging by what the op has said, I suspect, he's not gotten used to riding efi bikes, which may well behave very differently to older non efi bikes he has ridden previously

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:15 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

#VictimBlaming Tut Tut

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
#VictimBlaming Tut Tut

Nope, only going on what the OP has posted himself

roger77 wrote:

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:53 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hear that some EFI bikes (not mine) have a problem with snatchy throttles.

Those would be bad bikes, that should be sorted out by the manufacturer or dealer.

#Victim

#Blaming

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I do hear that some EFI bikes (not mine) have a problem with snatchy throttles.

Those would be bad bikes, that should be sorted out by the manufacturer or dealer.

#Victim

#Blaming

Not blaming anyone or anything, as you'll also see I suggested looking at the ecu, and, if it has 1 a throttle position sensor, and as he's in France at the mo, find a Mash dealer to see if they can help or offer suggestions.

I'm a bit curious, anybody ever used a throttle tamer?? Only ask, as i've never heard of 1 before.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:31 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really see how a device that fiddles with the cable pull will fix a binary fuelling issue.

If it's an overly lean mixture problem, there are other h4x available, like dicking with the air temperature sensor to make the bike think its colder than it really is.

If I had to take a guess at it out in the wild (i.e. France) I might be minded to disconnect the O2 sensor (if it has one) based purely on it apparently working for the Versys.

roger77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:23 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. This is my first FI bike and whilst I can reduce the throttle snatch with a small amount of clutch control and a light touch on the throttle its still a pain
I will try a local French dealer and let you know if there is any progress

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how sophisticated the system is, but if it's the same as the versys (as mentioned above) of you turn the key whilst holding the starter button down so it doesn't have time to go through its cycle it reverts to a richer safe base map.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Depends on how sophisticated the system is, but if it's the same as the versys (as mentioned above) of you turn the key whilst holding the starter button down so it doesn't have time to go through its cycle it reverts to a richer safe base map.

I suppose anything possible but I really don't think it would be that sophisticated.

You will probably just kill the sprag clutch Razz

roger77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:26 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update on this problem.
A new throttle position sensor has been fitted and the bike now rides without any throttle jerks or other problems
Thanks to all the posters for your advise and help

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:43 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the followup, it's good to get closure.

How easy was it to get the TPS? Was it sorted out under warranty without any quibbles?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 11 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger77 wrote:
Just a quick update on this problem.
A new throttle position sensor has been fitted and the bike now rides without any throttle jerks or other problems
Thanks to all the posters for your advise and help

Cool, good news, how are you finding the bike, I quite like the look of the Black 7 250..

roger77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:46 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPS was fitted under the 2year warranty by North Cornwall Motorcycles, the Mash dealer.
Bike runs well now its fully run in (occasional 70mph down the A30)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:35 - 12 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit Great success!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1