Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So I confiscated an XR125 yesterday....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: So I confiscated an XR125 yesterday.... Reply with quote

Father in law was on his (disinterested) sons 125 yesterday to see if the bike is a viable means of transport to work for him
on his commute. They've been having all sorts of various problems with it, it's quite the shed. The son has ridden it a few times
since turning 17, he's nearly 19 now and the bike is just sitting there unused so the father has decided to see if he can make
use of it. He managed to break down on it yesterday but managed to get it running again so he brought it to mine.

It's a 54 plate, about 30k miles. I immediately spotted a broken wire which should connect onto a spade connector on the
carb which I can't identify and I learned that it has an alarm/immobiliser which could explain the intermittent starting issues.
While I was at it I spotted the front brake hose was jammed between the disc and the fork leg, If I had to bet I'd say
it's not the right hose at all, seems about 8 inches too long. The disc has worn it to the point where there's a minor
seepage of brake fluid. Another few miles and it would have gone properly and who knows what might have happened.
So I have the bike at mine now, going to look at it next week. Never changed a brake hose before, any tips?
Also I'm wondering if anyone can identify the alarm, it has a fob like a car alarm but no writing/makers name on it.
I've yet to start pulling the bike apart to investigate that further, but maybe the broken wire is something to do with that?

https://i.imgur.com/uFfbDGy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wRJ0yst.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dTfj95D.jpg

If worst comes to worst I'll just take it to a local place that's a bit more budget friendly than Fowlers and have
them look at it, but if I can fix it for just the cost of parts all the better. Besides, it won't hurt me to learn something new.
After confiscating the bike, I scared the shit out of the chain by oiling it for like the first time in ever, and there are loads
of piddly little jobs that need doing, loose indicators that point to the sky, that kind of thing. It failed it's MOT in spectacular
fashion March last year and was bodged through a retest two months later by someone else in the family who's mad keen
on cycles, builds them for a living and has a workshop.

https://i.imgur.com/93MazRC.jpg

Now it's my turn, next MOT due in a few weeks. Rolling Eyes

Rode her 17st dad home on the back of the scoot yesterday, he wouldn't get on the Spacker for some reason? Angelic
He lives in Combe Down near Bath and there's a few steep hills to get up there, the Xenter did not like that one bit.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be left out as Baklaf Bait. Two up and head on into the front of a parked and un-attended bin lorry should knock the silly buger out them both and put an end to this misery of a 125. Win Win.

I do not think I have ever seen as much writing on an MOT fail. Smile

I would frame that bastirt for LoLs.

(And mechanics are usually shite at writing.)

Very Happy

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some carbs have electric solenoid enrichment/choke type things on but
most I've seen were towards the rear, not sure what what that does as I cant see any solenoid.
( heater?)

the disk looks pretty ridged, new one cheap?

Pipes easy enough, get a bottle of dot 4 and plenty of dishes and rags to keep seepage/drips under control
Bleeding should be straight forward for a single disc if the master cylinder piston seals are OK

Alarm: bin it and buy a new one from Ebay
We've had a couple of these NCS ones and they're still working fine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NCS-COMPACT-MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-REMOTE-CONTROL-START/201019460465?hash=item2ecdb18b71:g:9ZcAAOSwUd9aV2vn

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first fail point sounds like the frame is rotten.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has apparently been welded up by said cycle mechanic. It has passed an MOT since that fail. Miracles do happen.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:26 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Has apparently been welded up by said cycle mechanic. It has passed an MOT since that fail. Miracles do happen.

Your not that far from me. I can take some time out from beer tiems with Ste and put in a new brake pipe.

I can also check teh frame for obvious signs of failure and check out any obvious fails for you.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wires are probably an Autochoke.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off and nuke the entire site from space. It's the only way to be sure.

I've seen a worse MOT certificate. A mate had one with so many advisories, the tester ran out of space and carried on with biro on the back.

Brake hose is easy. Plan the route properly. Use new copper washers on the banjos. Should be pretty simple to bleed IF (and here's the if) the bleed nipple isn't corroded in place.

However, the whole thing sounds like an exercise in turd polishing to me. Roll it in glitter to the point it gets an MOT and bung it on gumtree instead.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:49 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

However, the whole thing sounds like an exercise in turd polishing to me. Roll it in glitter to the point it gets an MOT and bung it on gumtree instead.

That brake pipe is never going to pass, regardless of the amount of glitter you stick on it's vagasil.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a brake bleed kit. I’ve had some success with a sandwich bag and a rubber band filled with brake fluid around the bleed nipple without a kit but it was a right pain in the arse and really needed at least three hands. Did not realise how cheap the bleed kits were when I did this.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:06 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Get a brake bleed kit. I’ve had some success with a sandwich bag and a rubber band filled with brake fluid around the bleed nipple without a kit but it was a right pain in the arse and really needed at least three hands. Did not realise how cheap the bleed kits were when I did this.

I have one....

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

Not really necessary, particularly here but Mityvac's are awesome. Make bleeding so easy.

I'm quite partial to heap saving but I reckon the byklaf bait idea was quite insightful in this case Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:16 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to ask, how did the thing get into the state its in not just once, but twice over... and on both occasions, not sorted properly, or given to some-one set up to sort properly, but farmed out on a favour, expecting miracles for free.....

Would YOU be doing either father-in-law of nephew-in-law any favours by fixing this POS for them... on the cheap?
Would YOU be doing YOURSELF any favours along the way even trying?

What are the possible outcomes? Father-in-Law, moans... either you haven't done the job, done it right or spent more money then he intended.. you may or may never see again..... so you spend time, and money, and get back, possibly some feint short-term praise, and likely a shed load long of critasism and blame, when anything else goes wrong when the thing gets used as before, threashed to death and never properly spannered and botched with improvised repairs and unsuitable parts taken from whatever was to hand.....

Think about it..... the bike may be worth something, to some-one.. but IS it worth anything to you?

Necromancing old dead bikes back into the land of the living, can be a wonderfully satisfying and fun thing to do... eventually... may-be... expensive, frustrating, a pain in the arse whilst you are about it usually... but oh-so-rewarding when you take them for that Moment-Of-Truth, and they just 'pass'.. vindicating all your hard work.... first post test ride, when its all 'legal' on a dunny day, can then be shear bliss....

A-N-D you can pack the thing in the shed, or punt it off on small-adds, and pat yourself on the back, as you start the nest one.....

Until it comes BACK!

And I can tell you from first hand experience, there is nothing quite as gut-wrenching as sing something you have lovingly brought back from the dead, wheeled back into your yard, with the paint scratched to high-heck, the handle-bars pointing the wrong way to the front wheel, the motor bleeding vital fluids and making 'a funny noise'.... I make no allusions here..... draw your own!

Even if the new keeper, sticks hands in the air and says 'Mia-Culpa'.. which they seldom do.... there is always some-thing or some-one to blame, and as you fixed it first time around, YOU wil be first in the queue of culpability this time around...... nd that really, really palls, believe me.

Ironically, if you did a really BAD job first time around, they dont come back! Might stil get trashed, but they dont come back to you with it 'cos you are always good for a favour..... which can save a heck of a lot of heart-ache and grief.... which, doing it as a favour, applying mates rates, you are ONLY bringing on yourself.

Are you prepared for all that?

I really dont think there's a good solution... but, in this case, with closer relatives; I would probably be saying "No - I cant fix it!" and pointing at all the other ongoing projects I have to hand as reason I was too busy.... at best, I might suggest that I'd 'Help' the intended future user get the thing patched up and through an MOT... they could use my spanners... I could have a look and tell them what needs doing, etc... KNOWING I would probably end up doing more of the fixing than any-one... B-U-T intended user 'might' get some apreciation of what was required by being there and making the coffee and handing me screwdrivers when I asked for an allen key, kind of thing..... and they 'may' be a tad less inclined to presume future faults were made by my fixing, and get some apreciation of why £30 an hour mechanics aren't endemically ripping them off..... but I am an eternal optimist.... a dissolusioned one... but still!!!

What is or may be actually wrong with the bike, and how tricky it may be to wangle it through a Moment-Of-Truth, really is almost immeterial, and inconsequential, to this issue, which IS essentially how big an Aunt-Sally are you setting your self up as even trying? So do you even try? And are you prepared to the likely 'fall-out' when it breaks down or gets crashed in six weeks time, and your chief suspect to be blamed?

Think hard....

I would be enclined to MCN's advice, and hope it gets nicked by bike-larf-chavs to end the misery for all.. I dont see a win for any-one, least of all you in this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a diagram and it looks like that green wire is for grounding
the carb heater fed elsewhere by blue/brown wire.
Probably there cos manifold insulators may cause poor grounding without it

Link to diagram.

https://www.cmelectronica.com.ar/wiring-diagram/imagenes/honda-xr125_color.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Wires are probably an Autochoke.

No it's manual, there's a lever on the other side.

Thanks for all your input gents, there's a bit of a back story behind this bike which I may go into at some point later. Rolling Eyes
I can re attach that wire no bother WDForte. Would that possibly be causing the starting issues? On Saturday the
father in law rode it from Bath to Wraxhall. Switched it off when he got there and it wouldn't go again, he called me
to come and help (I was walking the dog at the time) so I dashed home (abandoning the wife and the dog in a
forest) and was en route with the van, a few tools and a battery and some jump leads. He called me back about half
an hour after the first call and some attempts to bump start it and said he had got it going again and was heading to mine.

And for your lulz and further entertainment to quote Jimmy Cricket, "There's more". So after the big fail above it
was worked on for a while by a different brother in law to me, the cycle tech guy. It went away for retest and failed
again, on a few completely different bits before the eventual clean sheet pass. Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/TXCZsAx.jpg

REG Number WJ54 OAH if you fancy a skim through the other stuff in the history.

I know, I know. Sheddy McShed but the kid isn't to blame, he's barely ridden it. His daft parents bought him the bike
when neither have the slightest idea what they are looking at. They handed over 1200quid for that bike, bought off
the kids mums ex husband. Laughing Couldn't make it up. I'm going to do what I can to help as it's been a nightmare, the plan
is to get it through an MOT on a wing and a prayer and PX it against a much newer bike for the next brother down who
turns 17 in October. The lad who's 19 isn't interested anymore, it's been too much hassle.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:02 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take it off your hands for £5.

It's a good offer, I think you should accept it. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing It's not mine to sell. I've ridden it though. It's shockingly bad, really noisy aftermarket tailpipe, comedy suspension,
10p set of chinese LED indicators, just rubbish. If I had been asked when they were lumbered with it I would have told
them to keep looking, but I wasn't. Not a bike for a nervous noob like my brother in law. Not easy to ride at all.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:36 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont-Re-Inforce-Failure

54 plate, err.. 2nd half of 2004 reg? So it was a 12 year old bike, they paid £1200 and W-a-a-y over the odds for to start with... and have been trying not to chuck any more at since, whilst having lots of hassles... and calling on mates rates to try and pull them out the cacky.....

With the suggested back-stort, MY advice would be not to lift a spanner to it... I'd suggest they cut their losses, and take the hit... they suffered two years ago, rather than drag it out and re-inforce the failure.

It's a tag end high-ish miles learner bike, a scrap-heap refugee, that if it was on the road and legal would be there on a wing and a prayer anyway. Its value, as is is barely any better with an MOT, and the Honda badge on the side, means it aught command £500 ish, as a gum-tree special offered as 'an easy fix... for some-one more knowledgeable'....

If another bike is needed for Dad-in-Law to get to and from work or whatever, I would suggest he look to his own lawrels and what he really wants from biking, and either go get something 'just' for him, whether that's a 125 or a bigger bike, and if needs a DAS. For next in line sonny.... START FRESH!!

They may have learned from the mistakes of this one... or not... you might offer advice to point out the effups so they dont make them again, and you could help choose bike for Dad and/or or next in line, but a learner-bike of that age and mileage with history of lemon-aid, is a non-starter to my mind as anything but a complete ground up resto-base, that will inevitably cost more than its worth, and only be even remotely ecconomical if some-one who has footed the bill can ride the value out of it, NOT having the hassles, and more importantly NOT making unnecessary ones along the way.

But, the bike, to me, seems like dead metal riding....

CG based, and with Honda on the tank, there may be some intrinsic value in it as a resto base or project over a generic chink or old two-smoke with patchy spares support... but not a lot.

I wouldn't want to set myself up as an Aunt-Sally to waste time, effort and probably money, to get the blame for anything and anything that it does or doesn't do, or happens to in the future.. I really wouldn't.....

"Look, it was an expensive mistake; it's a lemon, sorry... BEST thing you can do is punt it off 'as is' on Gumtree' do it right next time.. I can help with that... but THIS.. cannot be 'fixed' and trying isn't going to help any-one really.... cut losses and dont re-inforce failure... start fresh." And leave the spanners in the tool-box!

Just out of interest... you have been called out for 'Recovery' and run around to 'help them out' already... did any-one even offer you some diesel money for that hassle? Where does good will end and taking the piss begin? Beware the line twixt the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
dydey90 wrote:

Not really necessary, particularly here but Mityvac's are awesome. Make bleeding so easy.

I'm quite partial to heap saving but I reckon the byklaf bait idea was quite insightful in this case Thumbs Up

Which one?

Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Dont-Re-Inforce-Failure
And stuff...

There's no pressure on me at all. They know I'm no mechanic, but I'm handier with tools than any of them. I just tend
to focus on working on building related work rather than machines. Besides they don't have any tools of their own at all so
it won't get any kind of attention there. As things stand it's little more than a paperweight right now, but to get shot first it
must have that ticket particularly if it's ultimately PX'd against a modern clean tidy bike come October.
Next brother in line is 10x more enthusiastic than the one whose bike it is and he has his heart set on a YZR125.
(Quelle surprise). But he will be saving all summer to pay for it himself and has a 3k+ budget when he's ready to buy.
He's also learned the lesson here and will take someone with half a clue what they are looking at before he buys.
Although it's likely to have a lengthy approved used guarantee as we will buy nearly new from Fowlers.
Even if we can get 500 off the newer bike as a PX, it's less hassle than trying to sell private. A 500 quid bike brings
500 quid bike customers, and I'm not sure my booky in laws are quite ready for a procession of Daryls and Kaedens.
Besides they will just come back after dark and get a five finger discount and bust his garage door in the process.
I wouldn't dream of asking them for anything for trying to help them, I agree the bike needs to go, but that's easier
with an MOT. No bike shop will take it as PX without one, that's for sure. I'm going to search for a hose today, I'm hoping
Fowlers website will yield something as I'd rather not take a chance of ordering the wrong thing from elsewhere.

The father in law is only trying to use it for work
a. to save wear and tear on his BMW which has done 50k in 2 years
and
b.Because (quite rightfully so) the lad whose bike it is has completely lost interest because he can't rely on it,
so its just sat there doing nothing for a year.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:24 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part Exchange....

Seems to me to be rather a lot of fools-logic being applied here.... and believe me, restoring old 125 Super-Dreams, I'm no stranger to the 'self delusion' and refusal to just give-up on a bad idea... b-u-t...

"Its easier to get shot off with an MOT"... it starts there... and that may or may not be more or less true.... I don't think that it IS, TBH... every-one wants a bargain, and there are PLENTY of naive optimists who will buy a 'cheap' learner-legal in the naive expectation it'll be cheaper to do a fixer-upper than buy something more expensive that already works...

Move on to the '£500 bikes attract five finger customers" argument... it isn't one... sell private you get that regardless, and there's probably as many instances of folk advertising expensive bikes, getting tyre kickers in the day and garage door breakers in the night.....

Cut to the chase, the PX suggestion is being clung too because they dont want the hassle.... but still want the money... which you just dont GET going PX, where some-where along the line the dealer you PX with has to make thier margin, and what they give on the trade-in they have to make on the sale its PX'd against.....

And ways of skinning a cat.... you dont HAVE to PX against a new bike... you want rid you get rid... take it the tip, take it to a breaker, ask what they'll give for it, if you want easy and hassle free.. but don't expect to be paid for the hassle you dont have!

"B-U-R-T.!.!. wibble.... stammer....." after ALL the hassle, and after all the money... its, well, a pathological 'need' to get 'something' feel-good back for it all, and not feel even more cheated.... all feelings, not thinkings.... or facing facts...

A-N-D... Mr-Nice Guy... not even asking for the desiesil money for uo-tailing on your Sunday afternoon constitutional with the missus, and abandoning her in the woods to go chase some heap of dead metal for a favour.... I didn't ask if you asked for desiesil money... or if you got any... I asked if any was offered..... like I said, where does good will end and taking the piss start.... very very easy to be played for a mug, your good will presumed upon, and to dig yourself in to some-one elses problems, and get the hassle and the blame for them.... and this is the pertinent bit for YOU... this bike is NOT YOUR ptoblem... it's the lad whose name is on the V5, and his parents.... ponder....

They may have given him the problem, buying bike of dubiouse providence from dubiouse 'family' seller to start with; lad may have helped the problems, being clueles and unenthusiastic and ignorant... but, it mushrooms from the start and at no point is the problem YOURS. Why make it so?

Being 'Nice'.... "Look, its a lemon.. its already cost whatever in time, money and hassle, it will only cost more to do anything with, and it will STILL be a lemon.... cut losses, dont re-inforce failure"

Are you actually helping, offering niave hope and perpetuationg falorn optimism, even before we get to whether anything useful may or may not be done to make the bikes woes a little less so?

Sprog 1 has given up... cut losses and left the mess for dad to deal with.... Dad has looked at scrap, and had ideas and tried to find the opportunity in adversity and jumped on the miser-miles of a tiddler compared to the gas-guzzling of a Blitzen-Bimmer!!!!! A-N-D Next-in-line has heard an engine running, and shown a lot of enthusiasm, and eagerness to join the frey.......

Seperate the issues here.....

XR-Owner.... its his bike..... its his problem... if he no want bike, suggest he sort getting rid, or wheel it down the tip.

Dad-in-law... BMW runing costs..yup they have'em... is a bike the best way to tackle them? If so, then tell him to go get one, and possibly licence for one. Do the sums. Depreciation on high-mile blitzen-bimmer, compared to the bike HE would choose, and possibly the DAS course to get what he'd really want, and either the full feel-good factror of a sunny-day-machine, and or the full quota of ecconomy from a miser-miler.

Next in line.... £3K YZF-R125's I would REALLY be trying to talk him out of.... I would also be suggesting that the best 'deal' he may get on anything from a dealer, will probably be WITHOUT a PX, trying to stretch it to get it maybe a tad cheaper on the monthlies by putting down a heap of junk instead of a deposit, and again, trying to piggy-back a favour onto the deal, to get rid of the POS XR, for max money and least hassle along the way...... dealers DONT offer market value on trade ins, they have to make a profit on them.... and do twice the work to sell two bikes to get the money of selling one.

Its quart into pint pot thinking, trying to get more out than you can cram in, at every stage... and all with an unhealthy dose of denial along the way, trying to juistify the wroing answer to the wrong question, and do 'feelings' not 'facts'.....

And YOU are not just being dragged into this maelstrom, but diving in with abandon, without the speedo's!!!!

Advice to Newbs on the road on a 125... "Get OFF, get SAFE! Start over!"

When things go wrong and YZF-R125 lad stalls at a junction.. cos he doesn't have the visability with his arse in the air, to see so far up the road... if he looks, and lurches into the road, waiting to be T-Boned on duff clutch control... and stalls.... then sits there with a truick bearing down on him like rabbit in the head-lamps, frantically prodding the starter, wondering why it don't when an inhibiter is engaged, faffing with lever's, and buttons and switches, and then DOES get it going, and stalls A-G-A-I-N in his clumsy attemps to clear the hazard.... its all re-inforcing the original failure... and that truck is getting ever so close, and theres another car coming from the other way, and now there is chaos in the closing gap...

Get off-Get safe, start over....

Get off... clear and obvious to any-one looking that this bike has a 'problem' and ISN'T going anywhere in a hurry, and instead of trying to guage thier gap.. and get it wrong and T-bone him... they STOP for him... more.... completely changes thier attitude, he's no longer a 'wally in my way' to but some-one obviousely having problems, in trouble, and they likely will even get out the truck and offer to help push him onto the pavement! Hazard immediately averted... and TIME to sort things out, without the danger looming and getting bigger...

Get-Safe... from the pavement.. no danger.... no truck bearing down, no SMIDY man wondering what the heck is happening.. and rider can, at leisure, NOT try and find the problem.... but CALM DOWN... have a fag, chew some gum, check smurf-phone or whatever and get his temperature down... THEN, look at bike.... probably something dumb like hitting the kill-switch, or the choke still being on, opr or or, the side-stands half way down or 'something'... but darn site easier to look at the bike on the pavement than in the middle of a T-Junction and find whatever that problem may be.....

Start-Over... from the top... CBT pore-ride checks! If nowt else, its more time to go through 'something' where you do know what you are doing and what to expect in which to calm down and get composure back... more... pre-ride checks put the bike into the start settings; stand down, lights work, tyres have tread, mirrors point back-wards.. Oh-Kay,. should start... yup, just like in the garden... Oh-Kay, back onto the road... find 'safe' place to pull away... wheel bike there.. get on.... observations, signals, and low... no pressure, no problems.... your moving again.

THAT is how you start, by STOPPING, getting safe, then re-starting.... rather than making problems trying to salvage the situation, under pressure, in danger, in the middle of the road....

Allegory translates...

And as by-stander, are you actually helping them, not just standing on the side lines, shouting "have you checked the side-stand?" but diving into the middle of the road with them getting tangled in his boots trying to check the side-stand is up, and that the kill-switch is in 'run', whilst you are about it... Ie making yourself part of the problem, when you think you are offering solution.....

End of the day, its a problem, and its more than a bike with the wrong brake hose..... but its NOT your problem, and I think that trying to pander to the Father-In-Laws hopes and aspirations, ideas and likely fantacies trying to 'salvage' something from it all, IS just likely making a rod for your own... I really do.

Three problems...
a/ this POS Lemmon XR is one.
b/ Dads high Blitzen Bimmer running costs are another
c/ Next Lad in line's aspirations to become a motorised road-user yet another.

Trying to bag them up and make something that satisfies all three, is just compounding the problem, not solving it.

Stop! Get Safe! Start Over.....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:34 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistically, there's approximately 0% chance of a dealer taking it in part exchange.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the reply Tef and agree with a lot of it but I'm going to try to help and that's that. I can afford the time,
the bike isn't in my way at the moment and if I can't help, and they know I will do what I can and not any more
than that, then it can go to a mechanic to look at it, none of which will be on my dime. I don't think the 19 year old will
ever swing his leg over it again tbh. but if we could leave the ethics side of things to one side for now and concentrate on
the things in the OP, once we're past that then we can decide what happens to the bike. Thanks again for taking the
time to reply. I know you mean well. Thumbs Up

Looking at the Fowlers parts website, the OEM hose definitely looks different to the one on the bike. The one on the
bike is flexible all the way down and goes through a black plastic tube on the forkleg. I'm wondering if another one like
it but shorter might be the answer. The last owner definitely had a tame MOT guy, that's for sure.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/main/img/assemblies/large/f4d7b18a66f30284eb13f053a0f71a40.png?6

The OEM part is over £60, so if I could go aftermarket then that's certainly more budget friendly.
I'm not sure where to look for a part like that, googling the part number reveals nothing 45125KRE921

I agree Ste, it's unlikely anyone will take it in part exchange, but it's still more sell on able with a ticket if I can find
a place where Stevie Wonder is the tester. It certainly can't be ridden as it is so fixing the brakes is a bare minimum,
even if it ends up being a pit bike ultimately.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also just fuck it onto eBay and see what happens.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree and were that my decision to make, I'd probably do the same or SORN it permanently. Strip it and pit it.
There's a track near me and I'd get some lulz out of it before wrapping it round a tree probably. It will fit in my van if
I drop the front seat down and I have ramps so it's do able. But the fact remains it's not mine, I'm just trying to make
it slightly less of a shitter than it is already. If it fails the MOT again, and it probably will, then the family can decide it's
fate then. But at least I tried to help my wifes little bro, I've know the kid since he was two and despite his ginger hair,
he's quite dear to me, he's not a bad kid and if I can help then I want to at least have a go.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5