BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So I confiscated an XR125 yesterday....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:13 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a torque wrench and wanting to know the settings just gives the impression of being a professional. Razz

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:50 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't normally have bothered, but since a bought a couple of torque wrenches....

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do gooders quoting torque specs for every fastener on OP's bike could easily be doing more harm than good IMO.

Im frankly amazed that anyone would work to a torque value on pretty small bolts and fitted into thin alloy castings like the oil sump drain plug and brake banjo bolts. Common sense is all you need.

Save the torque wrench for serious do up bloody tight applications like clutch hubs, and primary drive gears IMO.

Im not being a cock, I've just seen too many noobs with torque wrenches doing damage to bikes that could easily be avoided.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a noob snap a caliper bolt with one. He reckons he got oil on it, I reckon he's a daft git and mis-read the number/set it incorrectly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You do gooders quoting torque specs for every fastener on OP's bike could easily be doing more harm than good IMO.

Im frankly amazed that anyone would work to a torque value on pretty small bolts and fitted into thin alloy castings like the oil sump drain plug and brake banjo bolts. Common sense is all you need.

Save the torque wrench for serious do up bloody tight applications like clutch hubs, and primary drive gears IMO.

Im not being a cock, I've just seen too many noobs with torque wrenches doing damage to bikes that could easily be avoided.

Actually, you are more likely to overtighten (and strip the threads of) the small weak stuff than the big tough stuff.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:56 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, the outcome of todays activities is that I fitted the new pipe with the assistance of my, erm, lovely. erm, assistant....

Got it bleed nicely (most of it through the master cylinder) after sucking on the bottom banjo to get the brake fluid through.

Checked that all the movement was at the top (it was) and then decided that I didn't like the path the pipe was taking. All the movement was rubbing against the handlebars. So I decided to redo it.

Fucker didn't want to bleed afterwards. then I reailsed that the run was creating a natural air lock (pipe was higher than the master cylinder.) Once the bike was repositioned suitably, it bleed back through the master cylinder with no problems.

Grrr told me about a problem that he's identified with the back brake that he'd found when riding it. It's sticking on when you give it some welly and will only unstick once it's rolled back slightly.

Told him that it's likely the shoes are so worn that the cam is almost flipping over and is sticking at the top end of the movement so a new pair of shoes are in order.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was getting at tbh!

It takes one misadjusted torque wrench or a faulty or non calibrated one to do all the damage, especially as they are a long handle tool like a big breaker bar.

My mate stripped a sump plug thread on his CG using a torque wrench changing his oil for the first time. I told him after if your going to use a torque wrench for anything, always set it to half the specified value first and then re-torque it after in a second stage. Its easy then to see if you fucked up as trying to do up a tight fastener should ring alarm bells.

I also told him to use a 3/8 or even 1/2'' socket on stuff like sump bolts, spark plugs and do it up by hand as tight as you can just holding the socket. Then 1/4-1/2 a turn with a short handle bar is all most bolts need. I've been doing stuff up this way for 20years, and I'd only consult book torque specs for critical fasteners that if they fail would cause carnage.

An example would be car engine flywheels, crankshaft pulleys, subframe bolts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:10 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two torque wrenches, one about a foot long for up to about 60nm and one about 3 feet long for the big stuff...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
...so a new pair of shoes are in order.

And a new pair of shoes are on order. Along with a fork leg L plate. Tidied up numberplate and rear mudflap L plate,
Fitted the pair of indicators Nobby brought along, and took headlamp off for a bulb change.
Old lamp was discoloured and sooty looking but both filaments were still ok. Swapped 30/35w for 40/45w. Rubber
boot over connections wasn't fitted properly but is now. Not super bright but an improvement over what was in there.

https://i.imgur.com/89GFcge.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WTSpFfp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bwT4ZmF.jpg

Used a bit of old numberplate to keep the rear L plate off the tyre, it was rubbing before.

https://i.imgur.com/vGZsK80.jpg

Oil change tomorrow, do I check the level with the bike on the side stand or held upright? On its side stand
the oil level doesn't show on the dipstick at all, held upright it's about halfway between the two marks.
I know I have to put 900ml in so will pour that into a measuring jug before refiling the thing. Can give the front
brakes a road test while I'm getting the oil warm. It's just that and the brake shoes to do and it's off for test.

BIG thanks to Mr the bastard, apologies once again for my doggo loudly telling you to get knotted a few times.
She's in the chair opposite making eye bleedingly smelly farts as I type this. Sick That dog has no manners. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot we were supposed to do the oil change, soz.

Upright, stick it on the bit of wood.

Edit: When are you expecting the shoes?

Edit no 2: She wasn't that bad. I was much more concerned about what your missus thought about letting me in the house...

Octapode
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's when upright on my 125, but that's a sight glass. Upright'd make sense for a consistent measurement.

And grease your cam when you do the shoes, a filthy cam will make them stick regardless of anything.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I forgot we were supposed to do the oil change, soz.

Upright, stick it on the bit of wood.

Edit: When are you expecting the shoes?

Edit no 2: She wasn't that bad. I was much more concerned about what your missus thought about letting me in the house...

Nae bother, I can manage that alright. I don't imagine I'll get the shoes until next Tuesday or thereabouts.
She said you were nice. She's pretty open minded is Mrs grr. She works with a bunch of posh nobs, but every one
of her pals is a rocker, metaller, biker or pole dancer of some description. She's seen it all before mate. She's not
nearly as judgemental as I am. Laughing She's just thankful that you're willing to help her (favourite) brother out. Thumbs Up
I've known him since he was 2 or 3 years old, he's a good kid. She's got a few piercings and tattoos of her own. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
I've got a couple of these XRs so can help out with pics for original routing of cables etc too.

The service manual has it (some helpful member uploaded them):
MC wrote:

Only thing to watch out for when buying parts is that the model was revised in 2004 (so some 2003 bits won't fit). I've probably still got the parts manual somewhere if you need it.

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 19 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The service manual has it (some helpful member uploaded them):
MC wrote:

Only thing to watch out for when buying parts is that the model was revised in 2004 (so some 2003 bits won't fit). I've probably still got the parts manual somewhere if you need it.

My bad. Bit late to the party! Working on mine today if you need anything

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:41 - 19 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt its much of an issue but I did see weird 'burn' marks when I moved from 35w to 45w bulbs on my Varadero.

Is looking good, the bastard is good also. Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for Fisty. Thumbs Up

https://i.imgur.com/cuanJUZ.jpg

Hit a bit of an impass today. I couldn't get the sump plug undone with any of the tools I have here. Embarassed
I have a 24mm ring spanner but the nut really needs a socket, specifically and to avoid any further damage
to the nut, a six sided one. Which I have just ordered. Brake shoes are here now but I'll wait for the socket to arrive and
do both jobs at the same time. Annoyingly I didn't realise I didn't have a socket large enough until I had done a quick 6
miles on the bike to warm the oil ready for changing. But at least had the opportunity to road test the front brakes which are
working fine now. So that's something at least.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:08 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck that adjustable spanner away....

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I never used it on the bike, there wasn't room anyway. But it's very useful when I'm plumbing, which I do far more often
than tinkering with mechanics. I only had them out briefly as I couldn't remember where these were.

https://i.imgur.com/bziYS0K.jpg

But as you can see, I found them. Thumbs Up The nut was already slightly rounded before I had even touched it. Honest!

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a rather large looking thumb detecting nut fucker....

You should never let one of those things near any vehicle really

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a larger one than that, great for doing basin waste nuts. And there's also a smaller one in the same pic
if you look closely. But I never used either in this instance, there wasn't room to get it on the nut and turn it in any
case, the frame was in the way. The 24mm ring spanner felt slightly too big to be honest, but I certainly don't have
a 23mm one. The 24mm hex socket will be here in a day or two hopefully and I can carry on then.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:32 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure the sump is 24?

From my recollection, 17 or 19 sounds right. 24 is large.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going by this video here as I want to make sure the gauze thing is cleaned out.

Just been outside in my pants to get a quick pic. Sick

https://i.imgur.com/IydTyO0.jpg

The 24mm ring spanner slipped off the nut through lack of space causing that shiny bit, as you tried to turn it the frame
sort of guided it off the nut again. A 1/2 inch drive 24mm hex socket. should be safer for the nut.

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sump nuts on these are made of cheese. They always seize themselves in too regardless of how often you change the oil.

There's also a filter you can change on the RHS where you top the oil up. Involves taking the casing off and replacing the gasket after.

Personally haven't done this in over 35k miles Shifty

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sump nut is 24mm on cg125 and they are similar engines. Not unreasonable that this would be 24mm too

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starting to look like a decent bike now! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5