Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Holding style charge on petrol pump cards

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Holding style charge on petrol pump cards Reply with quote

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/petrol-stations-introduce-99-charge-171925706.html

Nutshell : The charge that many bikers experience touring has come to he UK.
Quote:
The "pre-authorization charge" is being introduced to ensure drivers have enough money to cover the amount of fuel they put in their cars if they choose to pay at the pump instead of at a kiosk.

So you might have to get your Burka ready to go to the kiosk to pay Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:34 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Holding style charge on petrol pump cards Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/petrol-stations-introduce-99-charge-171925706.html

Nutshell : The charge that many bikers experience touring has come to he UK.
Quote:
The "pre-authorization charge" is being introduced to ensure drivers have enough money to cover the amount of fuel they put in their cars if they choose to pay at the pump instead of at a kiosk.

So you might have to get your Burka ready to go to the kiosk to pay Very Happy

It looks like they'll have to start paying for more cashiers then....

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you have less than £99 in your bank account?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a story about some bimbo who complained about this on facebook which was picked up by the daily mail..

I personally use CREDIT CARDS so no problem.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

Well here's hoping you have £99 of available credit then..... Otherwise it's no fuel.. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
One customer claimed the £99 charge was deducted from her bank balance and not returned for two days. Although the money is deducted from the customer's bank balance or credit card limit it is held in limbo but never actually leaves their account.

Funny how they never complained when it was £1 or £2 that were ring fenced... Laughing
Bet the above person, the amount had not debited anyway.
It's not even like they would be incurring charges if they were over their limit..

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there weren't petrol thieving scummers a-plenty, it wouldn't be necessary. Blame them.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:

Quote:
If customers don’t have the required funds in their bank account, a further step is available to petrol stations which allows them to check what available funds a customer has, enabling a lower value of fuel to be dispensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Well here's hoping you have £99 of available credit then..... Otherwise it's no fuel.. Rolling Eyes

I think my Platinum Card with 15K limit can handle it. **mega extreme sarcasm**

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:15 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good heavens, look at the amount of other people's money you get to spend. How proud you must be to not be able to afford to purchase things yourself.

iooi wrote:
Quote:
One customer claimed the £99 charge was deducted from her bank balance and not returned for two days. Although the money is deducted from the customer's bank balance or credit card limit it is held in limbo but never actually leaves their account.

Funny how they never complained when it was £1 or £2 that were ring fenced... Laughing
Bet the above person, the amount had not debited anyway.
It's not even like they would be incurring charges if they were over their limit..

Laughing But it does reduce the funds available until its cancelled Laughing which I've seen take up to 3 days for a £1 charge Laughing so imagine if they went into a shop to try and buy some kitteh food for their kitteh Laughing and they got knocked back because of the pending £99 charge Laughing and their kitteh starved Laughing how funny would that be Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'ma start contesting the £1 charge now. Folded arms

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:15 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fell for this one on a trip to Blois a few years ago. I had a low credit limit card (Thank you,my ex) and the fourth or fifth time I went to fill up the transaction was refused.

I had no idea what it was about at the time and when I managed to check the account it looked like four or five 99 Euro transactions.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I go into the shop to pay even if it is by card. I leave my lid on too unless I want to take it off. If they have a go at me for wearing a lid I have made an attempt to pay, so no theft occurred if I just walk away.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you pay at the pump you're prepaying £99. If you select pay in store you prepay £0, can fill up and then find out you have no money.
I'm currently filling up every other day on the bike, so I could have £300 constantly tied up in their holding fees. Fck that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:17 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:
I fell for this one on a trip to Blois a few years ago.

Exactly. For some kitteh murdering diesel land yacht that does 600 miles to a tank, this isn't an issue. Scootay McDeliveroo is likely to get pumped, figuratively, and pump-blocked, literally.

You know how I'm always on the side of the poors.

The bit that winds me up is that as long as filling stations are primarily operating as shops, they're going to retain a pay-at-the-till option, which makes this pointless, because poors and pikies can hit "not pay at the till" and work around it.

It makes sense only for entirely robo-pump stations. Is that where it's being used?

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:39 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being 'tested' by Asda most of their pumps are unmanned so no pay kiosk. Yes, put in £10.00 worth of fuel (my normal bike fillup) and they will charge the £99.00. They then some days later refund the £89.00.

This can't be right as they 'thieve' £89.00. They could in theory (or practice) play the overnight money markets to also profit from this theft before refunding.

Bastards Twisted Evil

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:35 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
This can't be right as they 'thieve' £89.00. They could in theory (or practice) play the overnight money markets to also profit from this theft before refunding.

But our banks would never do that, would they? Laughing Laughing

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised 'borg didn't pick up on this one:

Yahoo 'news' wrote:
Supermarket petrol pumps, including Asda, are starting to charge drivers a £99 fee to pay at the pump under a new European-style rule change by Visa and Mastercard.

fee

noun
1. a payment made to a professional person or to a professional or public body in exchange for advice or services.

Them's more what you call a deposit.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:

Bastards Twisted Evil

That's not quite right. There's no refund as the money isn't actually taken from your account.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
t121anf wrote:

Quote:
If customers don’t have the required funds in their bank account, a further step is available to petrol stations which allows them to check what available funds a customer has, enabling a lower value of fuel to be dispensed.

Thanks.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:00 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This means I'm actually going to have to interact with people now.

I used a Gulf self service pay at pump in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, and that allowed you to pre-pay up to a determined amount. In my case I put 40 quid in my car. I don't mind this, I'd prefer it to pre-authorising 99 quid for putting fifteen quids worth in my Street Triple.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:27 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's not quite right. There's no refund as the money isn't actually taken from your account.

Not so as I read it

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/09/woman-charged-99-deposit-asda-petrol-station-filling-7532089/

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Quote:

Not so as I read it

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/09/woman-charged-99-deposit-asda-petrol-station-filling-7532089/

A quote from your article

Quote:
This amount is “ring-fenced” by banks but immediately made available again to customers

In this case, ASDA would have never taken the £99 from Pouty McDuckface's account

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:32 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I used a Gulf self service pay at pump in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, and that allowed you to pre-pay up to a determined amount. In my case I put 40 quid in my car.

Shocked

How logical and sensible is that!!

It'll never catch on. Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:55 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sure, who doesn't know beforehand exactly how much fuel they need to put in their vehicle?

A thought occurs in my brain.

A poor has £100 in its account.
Asda obtains a £99 pre-authorisation. £99 is locked down until that is cancelled.
Asda tries to charge £5 for the fuel.
The £5 charge is rejected because the £99 is locked.
Wut do?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I used a Gulf self service pay at pump in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, and that allowed you to pre-pay up to a determined amount. In my case I put 40 quid in my car.

They're all like that in Cyprus. You decide how much you want, pay your €10, €20, €30 etc and the pump dispenses that amount.

The inconvenience occurs when you over estimate how much you need and can't get it all in (stop sniggering at the back). Then you have to keep your receipt and go back when there is an human attendant and get a refund.

Which is a pain if you've used a petrol station far from home. So you don't bother, which means extra cash for Demetrios.........kerchinnnnng, loadsamoney Wink

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:58 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few number withheld calls the last month or two -ignored- and a few weeks ago I answered it in order to shout at someone Laughing
It was the police asking If I was still the registered owner of my van. someone had taken fuel and not paid. Having checked the date and time I found it was me!
I told them Id be down and pay it next day, they told me they don't bother if It's less than £20 and thanks for answering the phone.
it was 6-7 weeks previously and I use the same petrol station every week!
Take from that what you will.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2