Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

A thought occurs in my brain.

A poor has £100 in its account.
Asda obtains a £99 pre-authorisation. £99 is locked down until that is cancelled.
Asda tries to charge £5 for the fuel.
The £5 charge is rejected because the £99 is locked.
Wut do?

An interesting one! You would expect £99 to be ring fenced, and the £5 comes out of that, with £94 being released...

But looking at it, that's not how they're doing it. The £99 and the £5 are (seemingly) done on 2 separate transactions

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:11 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
But looking at it, that's not how they're doing it. The £99 and the £5 are (seemingly) done on 2 separate transactions

That's my understanding. I've seen both amounts (£1 + actual fuel) showing on my account as pending at once, before the £1 was cancelled.

On the face of it, you'll now need to have £99 plus your actual fuel cost available, or else... wut do?

Also: 5 million poors can't pay at £1 pumps at all, even if they've got the funds. They can only pay at the £99 + fuel pumps, which they won't be able to do because they POOR, they family is POOR.

That's bare racist.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy more or less everything on a credit card too. But settle the bill in full each month. Mainly because of the extra layer
of buyer protection and harvesting Avios points. My two nearest petrol stations are Esso, and I go there for convenience,
the premium fuels they sell and the clubcard points. I rarely darken Asdas door for any reason tbh. The nearest one is HUGE
and I can't be arsed to trawl through 80% of the stuff they sell that I wouldn't buy anyway, including their fuel.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

only problem I can see is if I stick a tenner in a few days before payday to tide me over til payday then I will be fucked if they try taking 99 quid out (or ring fenced)

back to using a cash point and then holding up people while i wait behind donald who is doing his weekly shopping in the petrol station again then to pay cash at the til
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read the £99 is ringfenced, the fuel cost is taken then the £99 ringfence disappears.

The article also said that if people didn't have £99 in their bank then they could only spend what they had in the bank (fuel would cut off at the once that's reached).

I do like how it's mostly the poor and stupid complaining.

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5710581/Asda-axes-controversial-new-99-deposit-fuel.html

Seems to have been shit canned now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it as a probe to see if you have the maximum funds available.
If not, it lets you have whatever you have in your account.
Not entirely sure what all the fuss is about tbh.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishayKillie wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5710581/Asda-axes-controversial-new-99-deposit-fuel.html

So I've just read, Jade got her 15 minutes,,,

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was just trying to get her eyebrows discovered. Also who puts a fivers worth in a car this side of 1985?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
She was just trying to get her eyebrows discovered. Also who puts a fivers worth in a car this side of 1985?

A fiver used to fill my old Chevette to be fair.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:52 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Not entirely sure what all the fuss is about tbh.

That's OK, I can copy and paste for you.

Asda obtains a £99 pre-authorisation. £99 is locked down until that is cancelled.
Asda tries to charge £5 for the fuel.
The £5 charge is rejected because the £99 is locked.
Wut do?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Ah.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using pay at the pump pre authorisation £99 for years in my car for business and on the bike, never had 1 problem ever ever, and I do check my accounts every week.
So has someone really had a problem with it or is it just noticing suddenly that this is what happens now. I
If you don't have £99 in your account and you pole up to a pay at the pump for petrol and express outrage when it wont give you any then you are a fuckwit.
It is usual abroad, will become the norm here because if you have the misfortune to have to go in the place to pay, weave your way round the slalom of chocolates, crisps, chewing gum etc get in the queue behind 10 other people and finally get to the geriatric cashier you will see loads of photocopied CCTV pics of chavs cars who have done runners. That's why we have it.

OGR

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I did think it was probably an eyebrow tax. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:05 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling eyebrow paint and rollers is big business, someone is making a lot of money!

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps I'm being to simple...

Couldn't you pre-charge an amount determined by you, the customer, which will allow you to dispense up to that amount. If you can't fill the remaining it auto refunds the difference. Maybe I just live in a world where things makes sense and politics and money grabbing scams don't run the world....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:58 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why £99? When fuel prices were high, the fuel gauge had to be pretty low for me to fill up the work van with £100 worth of diesel (it was a game I played...), I've not got near that amount in years though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:09 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand it's gone....

Asda has suspended a controversial £99 petrol pump deposit trial after an outcry from customers.

Those using pay-at-the-pump facilities at certain petrol stations were debited £99 on top of their fuel purchase.

Asda said the deposit was a holding charge to ensure customers had enough money to pay for their fuel.

But following the backlash, Asda said it would "suspend" the scheme pending review because "we always want to do the right thing for our customers".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44062476

Still, eyebrow lady got her fifteen minutes of fame. Whilst we're on the subject of eyebrows, have some monobrows: https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/8xkwma/in-celebration-of-the-female-monobrow

(and before you ask, We Found 0 Clips With "Monobrow" Crying or Very sad)

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:08 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:

Buying only £5 of fuel?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:33 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

And the fact that you'd probably have to explain what a Chevette even is to half this forum demonstrates my point nicely.
During about the same era I knocked over the paraffin heater at the top of my parents stairs and set fire to the hall carpet.
Again, because it was when it was I also got a bloody good hiding for my trouble. We had a foot square burnt and melted bit
of carpet up there for about the next 6 years until we could afford a new bit of carpet which my folks (badly) fitted themselves
because only rich people could afford carpet fitters. Good times! Laughing I laugh when I see 'generation snowflake' complaining
about adversity and hardship, as they post their tales of woe and poverty on the internet using their £800 smartphone.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:10 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Asda has suspended a controversial £99 petrol pump deposit trial after an outcry from customers.

You Redundant Piece Of Ste. Mad

Wait... I did rate that Redundant. Where did it go? Why am I suddenly out of rating points for the day?

Is... is Ste Mod? Shocked

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishayKillie wrote:

For now. It will be back soon.

Still this is small fry compared to the 30 days that hotels & car hire co are now leaving the authorisation for, even after it has debited Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
recman wrote:

And the fact that you'd probably have to explain what a Chevette even is to half this forum demonstrates my point nicely.
During about the same era I knocked over the paraffin heater at the top of my parents stairs and set fire to the hall carpet.
Again, because it was when it was I also got a bloody good hiding for my trouble. We had a foot square burnt and melted bit
of carpet up there for about the next 6 years until we could afford a new bit of carpet which my folks (badly) fitted themselves
because only rich people could afford carpet fitters. Good times! Laughing I laugh when I see 'generation snowflake' complaining
about adversity and hardship, as they post their tales of woe and poverty on the internet using their £800 smartphone.

Was that cos all their money went on the mortgage? Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:24 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
[For now. It will be back soon.

Yup. That was just the tip going in. The card companies haven't changed their demands. Try not to be poor, is all I can say.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2