Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Goodbye Hornet - scumbags nicked it :( - update - now found!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Goodbye Hornet - scumbags nicked it :( - update - now found! Reply with quote

I thought my bikes weren't particularly desirable, turns out someone nicked one of them last night anyway - Honda Hornet, I'm guessing the slags lifted it into a van Sad (off the driveway)

RV12 WSY on the offchance anyone sees it in Essex. I've got the keys, so I'm guessing it's destined for being stripped, the HISS2 system makes it pretty useless unless someone is using it as a donor for a written off bike.
I hope the thieves die horribly. Now the insurance fun begins, they asked me how much it was worth straight off the bat - how does this usually work, get average prices on Auto Trader?

Last edited by goto10 on 10:59 - 11 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Hornet - scumbags nicked it :( Reply with quote

sorry for your loss, looks in mint condition so I'd be arguing dealer prices since you'd be looking to go out and get with the piece of mind of dealer back up (yeh, I know it can count for little if the dealer is crap) since that's kind of what you had from knowing and looking after your bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:41 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fucking pieces of shit. Sad

To get an accurate figure for how much it was worth, find some similar Hairnets on Bike Trader so you can do some haggling with your insurance company.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:43 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question, why did you get it MOT'd three times in 2015? Laughing

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Stupid question, why did you get it MOT'd three times in 2015? Laughing

I bought it September 2015 (collected 1st October IIRC) - so they stuck a year's ticket on it for me - no idea about the earlier ones!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastards Thumbs Down

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you finding an alternative location for the other one for a while?

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about my bike whenever it's not locked to a solid object and it's a battered 97 cbr600f Shocked I certainly desire yours, sorry for you loss.

I'll keep an eye out for any of the parts on the internet.

I expect you haven't ground anchored because it's a lovely drive and you live in a nice area? I'd say it's worth keeping the other one there hoping they come back and you have a shot at catching the scum.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they lifted it there's more than one. And they'll be expecting resistance.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:42 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
If they lifted it there's more than one. And they'll be expecting resistance.

What they wont be expecting is a flamethrower though Twisted Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMmXninm7Ew

The only way the bike thieves stop is when we kill them all, they all have to die.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a national search on Autotrader, there are two 2012 Hornets for sale. Mine had 25k so cant find like for like (from a pool of two bikes!), Any other places that'd be good to search?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:33 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets work backwards. Mr. Green

How much do you want it to be worth?

2012 CB600 Hornet with 25k miles, pristine condition... main dealer service history?

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Lets work backwards. Mr. Green

How much do you want it to be worth?

2012 CB600 Hornet with 25k miles, pristine condition... main dealer service history?

Dunno really, I'll never get what it's worth, so I need as much ammo as possible to not get violated with a dry stick. Got £175 excess too.
Yup, full Honda history,. It's the last Hornet (with the discreet clocks), would be quite nice to replace with like for like, but not looking likely.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Are you finding an alternative location for the other one for a while?

Yup, moved it down the side of the house, alarmed, 2 disk locks and padlocked gate. I doubt (hope) anyone wants an NC700 that much!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:29 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-61-HONDA-CB600F-HORNET/173307204556

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-Honda-CB600F-CB600-CB-600-F-FA-FA-A-ABS-Hornet-Motorcycle/162988310280?

Vaguely roughly the value of yours is somewhere between the two but neither make any mention of service history so that could be used to argue yours is worth closer to £3,995.00 than to £3,299.

What did you say when they asked what it was worth?

There are several on MCN used bikes but they're all lower mileage than yours. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/cb600f-hornet/?_qs=Uk4oQWdlLDAuMCwxMC4wKQ--

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-61-HONDA-CB600F-HORNET/173307204556

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-Honda-CB600F-CB600-CB-600-F-FA-FA-A-ABS-Hornet-Motorcycle/162988310280?

Vaguely roughly the value of yours is somewhere between the two but neither make any mention of service history so that could be used to argue yours is worth closer to £3,995.00 than to £3,299.

What did you say when they asked what it was worth?

There are several on MCN used bikes but they're all lower mileage than yours. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/cb600f-hornet/?_qs=Uk4oQWdlLDAuMCwxMC4wKQ--

Ta, they're all the penultimate models as far as I can tell, the very last one had much smaller clocks (less of a carbuncle when looking at it side on), so that can also be used to argue I guess.
I'm more gutted about it the more I look online knowing I can't replace it that easily. Fuckers.
I'll PDF that lot though, ta Thumbs Up

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: I’ll keep an eye open for it Reply with quote

Whereabouts in Essex are you ?

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Re: I’ll keep an eye open for it Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Whereabouts in Essex are you ?

Hockley.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insurer called me today - verified my licence online and any security endorsements (fortunately I never declare any security - more trouble than it's worth and it makes practically no difference to the policy premium anyway) - they opened with an offer of £2,400 - I said straight away that's ridiculous, their final offer was £3,067 (weird amount) - he said that can't be changed because they monitor sold prices and that's what they go for (sounds like make believe fairy-tales to me) - I've not agreed anything, I said I'd think about it.
IIRC someone on here was an underwriter, is there usually room for movement if I manage to compile a list of similar bikes for sale?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
The insurer called me today - verified my licence online and any security endorsements (fortunately I never declare any security - more trouble than it's worth and it makes practically no difference to the policy premium anyway) - they opened with an offer of £2,400 - I said straight away that's ridiculous, their final offer was £3,067 (weird amount) - he said that can't be changed because they monitor sold prices and that's what they go for (sounds like make believe fairy-tales to me) - I've not agreed anything, I said I'd think about it.
IIRC someone on here was an underwriter, is there usually room for movement if I manage to compile a list of similar bikes for sale?

I'm not an underwriter, but I do run a bodyshop and, as such, I've dealt with many insurance companies and hundreds, if not thousands of claims.

The first guy on the phone is usually a call centre monkey, who has a script to follow and knows pretty much F all about anything, so there's always room for movement.

As you have said, build up a cast iron case and the claim will get escalated - if you can't find enough ads, use your knowledge of the model to ask searching questions.

In your own mind, you know what your bike would cost to replace, keep fighting until you get close enough to either buy a replacement, or get too tired to be bothered trying anymore
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:25 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them links to ones for sale.

£2,400 to £3,067 is a 28% increase which from what you say, they offered you immediately. Doing the same again would take it to £3,925.76

In my completely non expert opinion based only on the few ads, to get one that in the same condition as yours is going to be £4k

Sold prices are all well and good but your choices are limited to what's currently for sale.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:59 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=used_bikes&no=2&make=Honda&bikeid=1976&yearplate=2012%2F12&x=53&y=8

Retail: £4,000
Private Good: £3,530
Private Average: £3,060
Private Poor: £2,530

Our Bike prices are based on clean bikes with original official UK specification and adequate service history. The values do not apply to grey imports unofficially imported from Japan or USA.

eBay appears to have zero (0) 2012 Hornets sold in the past few months. As you can see, asking prices now are all over the place, but for that mileage I reckon you'd be looking at paying (after haggling) at least £3250.

Best of luck, and ball cancer on the pikies.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Goodbye Hornet - scumbags nicked it :( Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
the HISS2 system makes it pretty useless unless someone is using it as a donor for a written off bike.

Not sure about the newer bikes, but older models you could simply swap a US version of the ECU and swap a couple of wires, as that did not have HISS. Common thing if you lost the keys and did not want to pay 500 for the dealer to sort it..

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and it's been found! Five months later!!!

I was on holiday and received a call at 6am (WTAF?) - it was pitch black in the room as I fumbled around for my phone - I answered it to hear
Popo: "Is that Mr Goto10? It's the Metropolitan Police..."
Me: "Ummm, yes, what's up?"
P: "A bike was involved in a high speed chase in London a couple of hours ago and we believe it's yours"
(Bearing in mind my Hornet was stolen back in May and I was also on holiday - I instantly assumed it was my NC700 which I'd left at home on my driveway - although admittedly the 'high speed' bit was confusing)
M: "Oh, what bike is it?"
P: "CB600 - RV12 WSY"
M: "Oh, wow, is it ok?"
P: "The rider was in the wrong place at the wrong time, the bike was on fake plates and was flagged down by a police car (Apparently the plate was EA10 something something - just in case we get to see it on Police Camera Action!) - he immediately accelerated away and was then involved in a chase at over 100mph through London streets, he dropped it whilst trying to make a right hand turn, sending the bike and rider down the road - he received minor injuries and tried escaping, but was caught - your bike is now at soandso impound"

I then went on to explain that it's not actually my bike any longer, the insurance company settled so it's theirs now (He said the DVLA still list me as the owner, even though paperwork was sent off, so that's another issue)

He said it was an odd one, in that the police went to visit the perp's house and it was very different to what they usually expect to find - apparently it was a large house in Chigwell - his mother was now at the police station in pieces and her son (the perp) was with a solicitor in the interview room - she had no idea her darling son was involved in such shenanigans blablabla. I asked if he was the one who stole it, the police said they weren't sure and were now investigating how he came to be in possession of it.
They now wanted a statement from me about the circumstances of the theft (information I'd already given them back in May, when they didn't really give two shits about it and just wanted to get me off the phone and get on with their day)

Ah well, at least I know its fate - and I get some satisfaction from knowing that she threw him off into the hands of the police Cool - the thieving scumbags must've replaced the ECU/HISS system - IIRC someone said the USA equivalent doesn't have HISS, so they can transplant the ECU to get a working bike.
I did think about asking for a salvage price to buy back from the insurance company, but it's been in the slag's hands for 5 months, so probably ragged to f'king death and had the wiring loom hacked about - so I don't think I particularly want it back anyway.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame he didn't break his back.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2