Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Company Car problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Company Car problems Reply with quote

So I have had my company car for a little under 2 years now. The lease finishes at the 3 year point but I’m wondering if I can hand it back in exchange for a van early? Basically the BIK payments are now getting ridiculous and a change of personal circumstances would mean the money would be rather handy.

A colleague recently chose a van at the end of his lease and told me about the savings he was now making. As an added benefit the company pay him an extra £100 a month as an incentive to take a van over a car, which basically means he is £50 up each month after his bik payments.

I approached my management previously about handing the car back early and they consultated with the lease company about the penalty fee for early release. No decision was made but they seemed keen on the idea since the company would also save money (reduced lease payments and tax).

But now a reshuffle has happened and I have a new manager, I approached them about the possibility and they have flatly refused to entertain it. I have even suggested to pay towards the release fee and pass taking the extra £100 a month.

So BCF, do I have to just suck it up and swallow the costs until the lease is up?
or do I have any say in the matter?

TLDR: don’t want my company car anymore, want to give it back!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIK is still a BIK coz the company pay running costs.

It is a no brainer.

Run your own car for a year and compare the 'personal' expeniture on servicing/tyres/wear and tear on the mechanicals/depreciation/insurance/road tax....

Or are you doing it wrong?

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIK is much cheaper for a van than it is for an estate car though. Hence much savings of the green stuff.

The company just lease the vehicles with maintenance included in the contract, so their only expenditure is the monthly lease fee plus the companies side of my BIK. (Can’t remember what it’s called). Both of which are cheaper with a van over a car.

My issue is that won’t let me switch to a van early.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next choice will be a pick up for tax reasons.

Same flat BIK rate as a van.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Company Car problems Reply with quote

Aky208 wrote:
So I have had my company car for a little under 2 years now. The lease finishes at the 3 year point but I’m wondering if I can hand it back in exchange for a van early?

So BCF, do I have to just suck it up and swallow the costs until the lease is up?
or do I have any say in the matter?

TLDR: don’t want my company car anymore, want to give it back!

The short answer is suck it up.
However, you could find out who the fleet manager for the company is and ask very nicely if it's possible to end the lease early and move to a van. Bear in mind that this will create work for the fleet manager that they don't need to be doing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1