BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda Vfr1200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vili
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:05 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Honda Vfr1200 Reply with quote

Hi all! As a newbie on this site, I have a few questions I’d like to ask Honda VFR1200 riders. I have a Honda CBF1000 now and I am looking to upgrade to a VFR1200. I am 6’2 and weigh about 198 pounds, I wanted to ask all fellow riders with similar measurements if the VFR is comfortable to ride? During a long journey, have you experienced any pain in the wrist or back area? And just in general, how reliable is the bike? Please share your experience!
Thanks

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:49 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if many people on here have them. I have a mate who does who doesn't come on here. He's as tall as you are but a bit lighter. He rates it as all day comfortable and it hasn't put a foot wrong in terms of reliability. It's probably getting away from what an amateur mechanic can effectively service for themselves in terms of complexity.

He also says it's creep-up-on-you stupid fast. You think you're cruising and look down to see instaban speeds on the clock.

Tricky to find a decent looking and sounding exhaust for one.

Vili
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:57 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply! Very helpful review!

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about your age?
We all like to start with head down arse up and end up head up arse down at 40 plus.

I had a Blackbird with arm/wrist ache and fitted heli-bars but after bought an X11, FJR1300,CB1000,Fazer 1000,1200 Bandit but now a GSX 1400. Just backache now with a degenerative spine.

I keep looking on e-bay for a new body!

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR1200 was something of a commercial flop. Sales were disappointing and subsequently Honda dropped the model (also Euro4 killed it off)

The 1200 was something of an oddity in so much as it has a smaller tank capacity than the 800 (and not particularly better fuel consumption to compensate with, in fact its famously thirsty around town) meaning it loses out on the 'tourer' identity. It also has physically smaller OEM luggage, making it less versatile than its older brethren. Which kind of had everyone scratching their head asking just what is it then? It's not a sports bike, it's not a (proper) tourer, it's not fabulously exciting or powerful, it's big and heavy.....

That and the fact that it's fuck ugly. Oh, and HILARIOUSLY expensive for what it is. There are far better bikes that tick way more boxes for way less money out there.

What Honda needed to do was release a 1000cc V4 VFR with the same sort of profiling as the 800 but lose some weight and improve the handling whilst keeping all the touring capability. Some day Honda...some day.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test rode one and found it bland. OK fast bland but still bland. Plus the fact it is fucking ugly. It is so ugly it made my busa look pretty.

But it's a Honda.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It is so ugly it made my busa look pretty.

Not possible - 'Busa's are congealed. Puch Maxi's look better than them. Tomos 'peds look better. Shit, fully dressed and tarted up Harleys look better... and the latter is really saying something. Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the above notwithstanding. If you're looking for a slightly comfier, more modern version of the CBF1000, you're probably on the right track.

One suggestion though. See if you can get a test ride on a big Triumph Tiger. Adventure styling but with modern sportsbike tyres on, they are no slouch.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, I'd have a Tiger 1050 Sport over a VFR1200 any day. In fact I'd trade my 800 in for one if the right opportunity came up.

Vili
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:46 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies! I’m 28 years old, looking for a sporty, modern bike that can be used for touring occasionally. I’m split between the honda VFR and the BMW k1300s, but still prefer the look of the honda as the k1300s looks like the k1200 from 2005. I will be test riding them soon but wanted to hear some opinions beforehand. Thanks very much!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:44 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, do try the Triumph. It looks a bit like an adventure bike but certainly doesn't ride like one.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one, loved it.

Did a big post about it here Thumbs Up

Trackday'd it at Mallory too. Ground through half a footpeg and a fairing panel. Good handling, if a bit heavy.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/1-small.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 36 days between these two posts...

marky99925
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I realise it's an olde message but did you buy it in the end? i'm in exactly the same position, i love the cbf1000, bought it to keep for a year or so after a blackbird and i had it 6 years, maxton forks and shock, hel brake lines, its fantastic, perfectly comfortable on five trips round spain two up. The VFR looks great value these days as i understand Honda couldnt give them away at the time. Still a great bike that never caught on with virtually no mechanical issues. Nervous about the change after 6 great years with the CBF, most underrated bike i ever owned

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a loaner VFR1200 for about a month and did a few "long" trips (weekends away, covering about 4-500 miles a day) on it. Absolutely no problem on the highways or twisties with it. The DCT version was a lot of fun as well (in manual mode), it's amazing how well that engine picks up (and that's coming from someone who rode a K5 thou at the time ...). Only downside was it was 100% stock, so the exhaust killed a lot of the sound.

Really comfortable for all day riding as well, no issues at all.

marky99925
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for that, at the used prices they are going for they must be one of the top bargains for build quality etc, i don't care about the looks, it's all subjective anyway, looks more and more likely that i'll do it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1