Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ground anchors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:36 - 12 May 2018    Post subject: Ground anchors Reply with quote

Finally got my own place with garage so in a position now to stick a ground anchor in. Was thinking of the new almax series 5 1.6m chain with the defiant anchor unless anyone would recommend something better?

Cheers Thumbs Up

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:21 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Anchor. It sits flush with the ground and you'd have to drill the concrete out unless you go through the chain.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got it covered except for telling everyone on a public forum exactly what your security is going to be.

Lots of ground anchors, locks, chains and alarms is my favorite mix of security and how I'd lock my bikes up..

A good thought is first line defence though. The last thing any nice bike owner wants is some theives getting silently into your garage to work on your security hidden from passers-by.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:04 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The last thing any nice bike owner wants is some theives getting silently into your garage to work on your security hidden from passers-by.

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/barking-dog-gif-6.gif

Wink Mine goes mental if there's so much as a cat in the garden. THE tool for the job, particularly a Doberman or derivative.

Quote:
Doberman pinscher – If you have a large piece of property that you are trying to protect, a Doberman pinscher is a great guard dog for you. This breed is incredibly fast and is able to reach an intruder in a short amount of time. Known as the fifth-smartest dog breed in the world, Dobermans are fearless, alert, and loyal dogs.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on beefing up the building security.
They'll get in the easiest softest way.
Think how you would get in if you lost the key.

She'd and garage locks are shite. Buy proper notice locks.
£100 for a lock is nothing when compared to hassle claiming for a lost bike.

Speak to the police. They have advisors. They may even visit. Just hide you hooky stuff. 😊

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ground anchor is going to be good, however it would be a lot better if you use it along with other deterrents .
For example a disc lock and the steering lock on.

So one wheel or frame locked to the ground anchor + disc lock on the other wheel + steering lock on = a bloody difficult bike to steal.

Determined/professional thieves will get it no matter how much you lock it up .

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start from the outside road and work in. Gate to the drive / garden etc, at least 5 foot high, preferably 6 foot or a bit taller. Solid wood or metal, decent hinges can't be lifted off the hinges and LOCKS shut with a good lock. And fecking make sure it is locked.

Wall / fence or my favorite the evergreen thorny bastard spiky firethorn hedge round the perimeter. Planted mine at my new house yesterday to compliment the existing non evergreen less thorny bastard not quite so spiky hawthorn hedge. Blackthorn is also a decent alternative.

Am going to plant firethorn round the garage as well Thumbs Up Considering leaving the existing garage door as it is and making a second hidden folding door behind it out of some scrap metal from work. Nothing imho screams there be pikey treasure inside quite like an obviously beefed up garage door. Well maybe a lwb van plastered with motocross stickers does Crying or Very sad

CCTV, Alarm mines, ground anchors, chains, padlocks, disc locks and all that jazz.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above really, Mr Grrr does definitely have the best and most awesome security deterrent I've gotta say! Thumbs Up

If practical, you want to keep bikes locked in a building at the rear of your property and between that locked building and the pavement you want as many walls, barriers fences and gates as possible or practicable.

A good example is a house with a side passage between two brick walls/houses, with big tall and sharp gates at both ends locked with plenty of big locks. If you've got PIR lighting, and CCTV in your passage then your probably half way there to not making it worthwhile while there's any chance of the property owners being at home.

If said gates and fences are made as sharp spikey and lethal as possible then that's better still. You basically want to make it a difficult and painful bloody DNA dropping experience for said thief to even get to the building where your bikes are stored. Even if that means it's a 10-15min bastard of a job to get your bike out each time without scratching or scraping it or coming a cropper from all your sharp unfriendly gating etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:47 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You basically want to make it a difficult and painful bloody DNA dropping experience for said thief to even get to the building where your bikes are stored. Even if that means it's a 10-15min bastard of a job to get your bike out each time without scratching or scraping it or coming a cropper from all your sharp unfriendly gating etc.

I'd rather take the chance of it getting nicked than have it take 10 minutes to get it out on the road!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always sell the bike. No one would could steal it off you then. Shocked

Very Happy

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You could always sell the bike. No one would could steal it off you then. Shocked

Very Happy

After people kept targeting my bikes over a short period, it was definitely something that made me rethink having 3.

At least now there's just 1 to steal.

As for anchors, the Y anchor does seem to be one of the best for security, just make sure that you get the right one that will support your chain size.

If you see yourself moving house at some point, then pragmasis does one that is easily removable.

The torc ground anchor also has pretty good reviews, but it's not easily removable, but also perhaps not as secure as the y anchor.

That said, I think in the days of cheaply available battery angle grinders, the thieves are probably going to attack your chain first, rather than a semi decent anchor, especially if the chain is preventing them from pushing the bike away.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:50 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest isn't always best.
On the Bennetts chain test the absolute best chain is an almax 5. Surviving 41 seconds with an angle grinder, and costing £311.
At the other end of the scale, the Oxford HD chain lasted 16 seconds and costs £50.
So, 3x Oxford chains for £150 gives you the same angle grinder time as an almax for double the cost...
Of course the almax is uncroppable and the Oxford is anything but, but still.
Not saying I'd recommend that option of course, but food for thought perhaps.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:35 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Only reason i was thinking of ground anchor as its one more deterrent and stops a quick pick up and back of van, im doubting anyone would attack an anchor? The chain would be much easier to attack, reason was thinking the almax 5 was i am hoping it would be making alot of noise to cut through it and combined with alarmed bike and alarmed disc locks hopefully the local curtain twitchers would hear and hopefully call police (maybe wishful thinking). What advantage would a y anchor have over a defiant anchor for example in terms of security?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:

I'd rather take the chance of it getting nicked than have it take 10 minutes to get it out on the road!

Thing is you might well feel like that if your bike is a nearly new ER6 or MT07 all standard and popular.

Now imagine your only bike is say a 20 year old Spondon framed GSXR 1260 turbo Street fighter, with a ton one off custom fabricated parts, and covered in Ohlins, AP-racing and Maxton componentry. That's a bike you can't just get a simple loss adjustment calculator for and pop out to the dealer with a bag full of cash to buy another one.

In this instance you might be a bit more protective and vigilant and prepared to go much further to secure and keep your ride safe. Add to the fact that with such specials you can say spend £20k on a bike build/parts and it be worth or insurance agreed value for half that at best. Your going to be a bit bloody protective over such a classic special build in that case.

10-15min to get your security undone and your bike out is nothing in the above case compared to the losses you'll have if it gets stolen because of sloppy let the insurance sort it out security.

My own bikes arent simple to replace, so I'd do all I can to keep them personally.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Only reason i was thinking of ground anchor as its one more deterrent and stops a quick pick up and back of van, im doubting anyone would attack an anchor? The chain would be much easier to attack, reason was thinking the almax 5 was i am hoping it would be making alot of noise to cut through it and combined with alarmed bike and alarmed disc locks hopefully the local curtain twitchers would hear and hopefully call police (maybe wishful thinking). What advantage would a y anchor have over a defiant anchor for example in terms of security?

The two biggest advantages of the Y anchor is that:

1. it's completely flush (unless fitted outside, you put it slightly raised to reduce how much water drains into it)

2. It's concreted in rather than being set into drilled holes with epoxy. As it sticks out more, then I guess in theory this gives more potential for attack.

The reality though is that they're going to cut your chain as that's the weak point. I have seen photos in the past where anchors have been successfully attacked, but these have been oxford shitters and the 1 centre bolt kind. If I remember correctly, this was back when battery angle grinders didn't seem so readily available to scummies.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't tried fitting a Y anchor, but having recent smashed a section of concrete up (10m x 3m x 30cm) with nought but a big FOFF hammer, it was very time consuming and hard work.
You need to ask yourself how you are going to make a hole big enough to set a 'decent' Y anchor in without smashing/cracking the rest of the concrete floor in side the garage.

i have one of these fitting in the garage, drilled and set into the concrete floor. IMO nobody is going to try and get through it.. the chain is always going to be the first to get targeted.

I thought it would be a trip hazard whilst i was fitting it but tbh it has never been an issue.

https://securityforbikes.com/torc-ground-anchor.php

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
pragmasis does one that is easily removable.

Surely that defeats the object somewhat?

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
bluezedd wrote:
pragmasis does one that is easily removable.

Surely that defeats the object somewhat?

Sounds like it, but it's one of the more substantial ground anchors on the market. The anchor can't be removed when it's chained up.

See how it works here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCCD9w0ab0

The only issue would be fitting it outside, where someone could remove it/weaken it while you're away, asssuming you've not put your chain back through it to stop them tampering.

Seems better suited for inside a garage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1