Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Those who have binned it, did your clothing hold up?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not damaged any gear beyond the odd scuff but still managed to f**k myself up Confused The one I couldn't work out was when I didn't tear my waterproofs, but still managed to graze my knee, I assume on my knee pads but then they must have slid along the ground...

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 19 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Stubbed toe on banister wearing cotton socks. Still have the socks.

You are a very silly man Laughing Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 18 days between these two posts...

Brendan110_0
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A workmate recently lost bottom 1/4 of his leg due to not wearing motorcycle boots, had trainers on (Moped) Crying or Very sad Taxi driver pulled out on him (40mph foot/leg against car). It's an area I no longer skimp on, alpinestars Toucan now, could've made all the difference in this case.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy necro, batman.

40mph, leg between bike and vehicle. Yeah, boots will definitely stop major leg trauma/amputation. Confused

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Holy necro, batman.

40mph, leg between bike and vehicle. Yeah, boots will definitely stop major leg trauma/amputation. Confused

Mate came off in a slow speed spill whilst wearing motocross boots. The boot transferred the twisting break to just below his knee, rather than a clean break further down.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=74281

Whether gear helps depends on the accident you're having at the time, and could be different for the next accident and again for the one after that.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:48 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan110_0 wrote:
A workmate recently lost bottom 1/4 of his leg due to not wearing motorcycle boots, had trainers on (Moped) Crying or Very sad Taxi driver pulled out on him (40mph foot/leg against car). It's an area I no longer skimp on, alpinestars Toucan now, could've made all the difference in this case.

No. Your friend lost 1/4 of a leg due to being run into by a taxi.

I fail to wear boots almost every day and my leg has not yet fallen off. Yet I'd imagine a high percentage of incidences of having my leg run into by a car doing 40mph would result in severe damage.

In all seriousness. Don't rely on gear, it doesn't do as much as most people think it does. For example, nobody has yet invented a taxi-proof boot and I'll garauntee your mate would not have walked away from an accident that caused an amputation regardless of how thick a bit of plastic he was wearing over his shins.

Primary protection. Watch for the taxi. I consider comfort and waterproofness to be a more valuable feature in a motorcycle boot than armour. If you have cold, wet feet, your level of alertness will suffer hugely making you more likely to have an accident in the first place.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 06 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread revival batman.
As it happens since I wrote that, and throughout most of my riding career of 8 years and counting, I usually go with:

- The £60 Ebay textile fully armoured jacket I bought when I first started learning to ride, (winter option)

- JTS leather jacket with the elbow armour removed (summer)

- J&S own brand boots which go half way up the shin

- Ebay leather gloves, £17 (shit tbf, need better ones)

- Australian Bikers Gear kevlar jeans or their padded leather trousers for longer rides.

- Nitro flip front helmet, 4 star crash rated

No idea how any of that would hold up in an off. Total cost for the boots, jeans, jacket, helmet and gloves was around £290, got the jacket secondhand. So its a budget set up, seem to spend my money on maintaining the bike hence the recent brake line, coolant, headlight bulb and fork oil change.

If anyone could recommend some decent long lasting, summer leather gloves at a reasonable price Im all ears. Just plain looking black ones would be fine.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Minty wrote:
Holy necro, batman.

Mate came off in a slow speed spill whilst wearing motocross boots. The boot transferred the twisting break to just below his knee, rather than a clean break further down.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=74281

Whether gear helps depends on the accident you're having at the time, and could be different for the next accident and again for the one after that.

Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick Sick

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

If anyone could recommend some decent long lasting, summer leather gloves at a reasonable price Im all ears. Just plain looking black ones would be fine.

I'm rocking my second pair of Weise Victorys. Got about 4 years out of my first set.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 07 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
EazyDuz wrote:

I'm rocking my second pair of Weise Victorys. Got about 4 years out of my first set.

4 years? Impressive.
How are they for summer riding? Water resistant too?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:23 - 08 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

4 years? Impressive.
How are they for summer riding? Water resistant too?

They are very comfortable. No lining to pull out. They don't even pretend to be waterproof, they are leather with fabric panels. They dry out quickly. You get black hands when it rains the first few times.

I wear them spring to autumn because I have heated grips.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2