Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying YZF R125 with no logbook...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

KubaaaaPL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:57 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Buying YZF R125 with no logbook... Reply with quote

Hello. I have paid a deposit to a private seller because I would like to purchase a YZF R125 CAT C SALVAGE which is fixed but has no log book... The sellers story is that he bought the bike from a recycling shop, he fixed the bike with genuine yamaha parts but then something happend with his leg therefore he cant ride for a year so he decided not to apply for a new log book so that he wont add an extra number towards the 'number of owners'. The seller has the original reciept from the recycling store. I also did a HPI Check and the bike is a 'CAT C Total Loss - Insurer decided not to fix' write off and its not tagged as stolen. Therefore my question is should I proceed with the payment? and also which options should I select on the V62 form??? Are there chances that I wont recieve the log book?

***Any Advice Helpful*** ***Bike is from 2015 and 1200 miles***

Last edited by KubaaaaPL on 20:05 - 17 May 2018; edited 2 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:36 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who IS the registered keeper? Does he even know?

If it was me, I'd get my deposit back and walk away. If it doesn't come with a logbook, it's not legit.

You could tell him if he wants you to buy it, you have a V5c new keepers slip in your hand or a confirmation email from the DVLA that the bike has been transferred into your name BEFORE you hand over the money.

Frankly, it's too much effort to me, there are plenty of fucked 125s out there.

KubaaaaPL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:00 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So who IS the registered keeper? Does he even know?

If it was me, I'd get my deposit back and walk away. If it doesn't come with a logbook, it's not legit.

You could tell him if he wants you to buy it, you have a V5c new keepers slip in your hand or a confirmation email from the DVLA that the bike has been transferred into your name BEFORE you hand over the money.

Frankly, it's too much effort to me, there are plenty of fucked 125s out there.

I dont even know if he knows who the keeper is. He just said 'u get what u see', showed the reciept from the store and thats about it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run away!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you think really affects the price most? An extra owner, or no proof at all of how many owners it has had?

The guy is a liar. Walk away.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:58 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Buying YZF R125 with no logbook... Reply with quote

Do not buy that bike as there is something dodgy / questionable about it.

Get your deposit back then go and buy one that does have the V5, there's no shortage of them to choose from so there's no reason to buy this dodgy one.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy as fuck, bet you can't even get your deposit back.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:19 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be some reasons to 'think' of buying this 125. like its cheap, like its close enough to get to, like there aren't that many about easy to get to and cheap enough to buy...

B-U-T... one has to ask... if the thing IS legit, and if it IS a cheap... and now sun is showing in the shy and every dick-and-his-dog are getting exited about riding a bike for summer..... why would the seller take a deposit on it, when there would be a queue of folk eager to part with the full ask price? If not.... why?

AFAIK if a bike is catted by it's insurance co, then Log-book should be returned to DVLA, and they suspend the registration, and wont issue a new one, until the bike has been presented for, and passed an MOT inspection... even if its new enough to have MOT exemption.....

This begs the idea, that the seller '"wot-u-c-is-wot-u-get" (sold as seen) isn't selling either a road vehicle or even a motorcycle, but a pile of scrap..... If he HAS fixed it, AND fixed it properly, it should be MOT-able.... that costs just £30..... and with MOT should be eligible for a V5..... if it dont have V5 why not? Presumption would be that it HASN'T been fixed to standard that would win it and MOT and hence regain log-book.... and IF it hasn't been fixed.... its still a heap of scrap, not a road-vehicle.... either which way,. how much 'cheap' do you need to make it worth while, probably having to do the repairs the seller hasn't to get it through an MOT, and get new V5 issued for it? How much work would that take, how much cost would that take, and is it cheap enough that after all that you still save anything over buying a road-ready road vehicle, with V5, with MOT, you dont have to lift a spanner to?

As has been said, it all screams walk-away, and call the deposit the cost of learning.... its probably a cheaper hit to bear in the long run, than potential costs of fixing the heap of scrap to standard to make it a viable road-vehicle, and jumping through red-tape hoops along the way......

B-U-T ultimately not our call, your money, fella, your choice...... you reckon you is clued up enough to handle this, and make a road-vehicle from the heap of scrap, and smart enough you some-how profit from the deal..... one does wonder what you are doing asking our advice here, you should know the answers better than we.... if not.. you probably dont, and old addage, "if you have to ask you cant afford", likely applies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking at £25 and 6 weeks to receive a new V5C, if you get one. Given its history, I can't see why you wouldn't, but you can't be 100% sure.

Whether you can buy VED for it before then is a lottery. You won't know until you try. Are you really prepared to wait until July before riding it?

Is it cheap enough to warrant that gamble? Bearing in mind that it's been down the road to begin with and (I assume) hasn't been so much as MOTd yet.

Don't pay a deposit on bikes being sold online. Not even to a dealer. But I guess you've learned that.

If you want advice on that bike, post a link or at least tell us the registration.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a rare bike and the guy is clearly iffy. His reasoning for not applying for the v5 is stupid. That in itself would make me question everything else about the bike. Way too much hassle for a common 125 IMO
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1