Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Duel sport - WR450F (will it be cr@p on tarmac?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 20 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil D wrote:
So what would ou guys class as high mileage for a DRz?

And is it really worth holding out for an E model over an s model? Plenty of SM and off road wheels available for whatever I end up with

quick answer is over 3000 miles per year .. however
its not so much the mileage... people will adjust the millage anyway ...as the condition.. many have been super motarded and ragged to buggery around the goat tracks ..
ostensibly they look fine... but underneath lurks a money pit ..

off roaders are just abused and there is no ostensibly about them.... find a genuine example and the price is sky high ..

Phil D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Phil D wrote:
So what would ou guys class as high mileage for a DRz?

And is it really worth holding out for an E model over an s model? Plenty of SM and off road wheels available for whatever I end up with

quick answer is over 3000 miles per year .. however
its not so much the mileage... people will adjust the millage anyway ...as the condition.. many have been super motarded and ragged to buggery around the goat tracks ..
ostensibly they look fine... but underneath lurks a money pit ..

off roaders are just abused and there is no ostensibly about them.... find a genuine example and the price is sky high ..

30k seems a lot, the highest I’ve seen floating about is 25k although no doubt there are some with mega miles on them out there. I guess I was trying to ask at what sort of mileage is major engine work likely to be needed (splitting the cases). I’m not adverse to stripping engines but for once it would be nice to have a bike that isn’t spread out all over my garage floor!

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 20 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering a drz for my trip but they all seemed stupid money. Ended up with an xt600e. Can get a decent one for 1750, I paid a grand for a rough one but was fully aware that I'd strip anything I bought.

Considering the bulk of the thing I was pleasantly surprised how it coped greenlaning.

Not ideal, but not bad.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 20 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil D wrote:

You need to bear in mind that the DRZ400 'E' has no cooling fans for the radiators., so if you're going to use it on the road don't get stuck in traffic, because the engine does run, fairly, hot on the 'E'!

There's loads of info on Thumpertalk.com, there's a huge sub forum dedicated to the DRZ.

If you ever see a Kawasaki KLX400R for sale, (highly unlikely), but as a point of interest it's a DRZ400 with Kwacka badges, it even says on the frame "Made for Kawasaki by Suzuki".

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ's are powerful enough after a few mods, FCR, exhaust and E cams make a world of difference and get you around 42bhp, that's a 25% gain in power without effecting reliability or fuel economy Thumbs Up High mileage for me would be 16k+, I managed to find on with 700 miles on it, now closing in on 10k so I know the full history of the bike which is nice to know. My mate has 44k on his, well the frame, it's had a few engine rebuilds but he rides like a lunatic and is always tinkering on, currently is running a 462cc big bore/stroker kit, putting out something like 55bhp at our last dyno day, semi reliable I'd say at this stage of tune, frequent oil changes are important when you're nearly doubling the stock BHP, as the gearbox starts to become a weak point on these, can't really complain. I got rid of my 690 to keep the DRZ, the simplicity and reliability makes a world of difference to me. I've got a set of off road wheels but had yet to use them, I've used me supercorsa tyres off road loads of times, long as it's reasonably dry you can potter about ok Thumbs Up

Phil D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
DRZ's are powerful enough after a few mods, FCR, exhaust and E cams make a world of difference and get you around 42bhp, that's a 25% gain in power without effecting reliability or fuel economy Thumbs Up High mileage for me would be 16k+, I managed to find on with 700 miles on it, now closing in on 10k so I know the full history of the bike which is nice to know. My mate has 44k on his, well the frame, it's had a few engine rebuilds but he rides like a lunatic and is always tinkering on, currently is running a 462cc big bore/stroker kit, putting out something like 55bhp at our last dyno day, semi reliable I'd say at this stage of tune, frequent oil changes are important when you're nearly doubling the stock BHP, as the gearbox starts to become a weak point on these, can't really complain. I got rid of my 690 to keep the DRZ, the simplicity and reliability makes a world of difference to me. I've got a set of off road wheels but had yet to use them, I've used me supercorsa tyres off road loads of times, long as it's reasonably dry you can potter about ok Thumbs Up

Good to hear! You talking about an S model with those power increases I take it?

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the same engine, it's the E model that comes with the FCR39MX and aggressive cams so I've just made mine the same, same can be done with S model. I think the E was off road only, plastic tank, kick start etc. Mines an SM which is the same as an S power wise.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil D wrote:

30k seems a lot, the highest I’ve seen floating about is 25k although no doubt there are some with mega miles on them out there. I guess I was trying to ask at what sort of mileage is major engine work likely to be needed (splitting the cases). I’m not adverse to stripping engines but for once it would be nice to have a bike that isn’t spread out all over my garage floor!

an un molested regular serviced example .. should not need touchin ever .. until it dies and in any case double that sort of millage ...

Irn-Bru wrote:
My mate has 44k on his, well the frame, it's had a few engine rebuilds but he rides like a lunatic and is always tinkering on, currently is running a 462cc big bore/stroker kit, putting out something like 55bhp at our last dyno day, semi reliable I'd say at this stage of tune, frequent oil changes are important when you're nearly doubling the stock BHP, as the gearbox starts to become a weak point on these, can't really complain.

Yep ... Thumbs Up

just depends on who had had it .. what they have done to it .. and
what they have done with it..
there are no absolute rules .. but there are not many good examples out there ....

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:51 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I think the E was off road only, plastic tank, kick start etc. Mines an SM which is the same as an S power wise.

K is kickstart only - E is electric start.
Pretty much all came with a V5 and a numberplate - it's not an obvious choice for an enduro bike, although they are often used by people that are also looking for green laning and other more general use.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I ride a Honda XR400-SM it is not ideal for big distances.I would suggest a Honda XR650-SM.A friend rode his flat out all the way from Croydon to Assen for the World SuperBikes and back without any problems Thumbs Up

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My%20bikes/20160224_161354_zps5oai3qni.jpg~original

I found this one while searching on the net

https://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii92/whysub01/XRRHS.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Although I ride a Honda XR400-SM it is not ideal for big distances.I would suggest a Honda XR650-SM.A friend rode his flat out all the way from Croydon to Assen for the World SuperBikes and back without any problems Thumbs Up

but what problems did he have along the way ... hemorrhoids .. Legs and gluteals ... compression of the discs in spine ..

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Fizzer Thou wrote:

but what problems did he have along the way ... hemorrhoids .. Legs and gluteals ... compression of the discs in spine ..

His biggest problem was the size of the standard fuel tank.He could do about 65 miles before switching to reserve,then he would stop and empty the spare fuel can he carried.This would give him about 85 miles in total,before having to find a fuel station.
As for comfort,he sat on some extra foam.Otherwise,he was down behind the bars with the throttle pinned,maxing out at about 110mph.The engine is bulletproof Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

Phil D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
All the same engine, it's the E model that comes with the FCR39MX and aggressive cams so I've just made mine the same, same can be done with S model. I think the E was off road only, plastic tank, kick start etc. Mines an SM which is the same as an S power wise.

Seems a pretty cheap way to get more power. Is the suspension on the S worth upgrading? I think I read somewhere that after 2007 it got the same suspension as the E, but I’ll probably end up with an older one than that.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:40 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rear suspension is the same, front is different to my SM. The rear will be set up for a 60KG Japanese man, so in my case a much, much stiffer spring was required, and jack up links Laughing Suzuki have been making them from 2000ish to now (2008 in Europe) and changed very little other than stickers and colours, it's hilarious actually but I do appreciate the fact they're still made in Japan, still very well built but the hardcore fans would really like an FI version with 6 gears and a bit more power but they are not remotely interested anymore me thinks, they make enough ticking over selling to the US and Australia.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

His biggest problem was the size of the standard fuel tank.

well i went to the lakes on my 701 a week ago 200 miles or so and that was far enough ... Neutral

needs must i suppose .. Pale

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 270 miles on the drz few weeks back, I was a broken man the next day. That was a mix of goat tracks, b roads, off roading etc. Long motorways would be horrible.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being old skool I love my TTR250, Im about 85KG so a little lighter, but I have no issues with it dragging me threw mud, I carry tools etc, so I bet with my gear and stuff its lugging a good 100Kgs,
Its got a 6 speed box, which is a god send on road section, and depending on model most come with electric start and a kick start,
Electric again is a god send in crappy mud, when kicking it would be a PITA,
Very cheap and simple to maintain, air cooled so no rads to pop on branches, or if you have an off,

I know most will laugh and point, but its a solid work horse, that does a job and puts a smile on ya face, and is nimble,
If you dont trash it they hold decent resale money, so its a easy way to try, no gamble.

Dont expect anymore than 70 mph on the road(standard sprockets).

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I did 270 miles on the drz few weeks back, I was a broken man the next day. That was a mix of goat tracks, b roads, off roading etc. Long motorways would be horrible.

Motorway /dual carriageway i tend to sit @ indicated 70mph.. overtake @ 80 mph .. otherwise its a pain .. not a long distance tool..

PS.. goat tracks ... Hmmm..yes.. dig out some old maps me thinks ...

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:

I know most will laugh and point, but its a solid work horse, that does a job and puts a smile on ya face, and is nimble,
If you dont trash it they hold decent resale money, so its a easy way to try, no gamble.

Dont expect anymore than 70 mph on the road(standard sprockets).

Horses for courses ....intended use is what is important .. but there are those who spend a lot less time off road than on .. Idea
less than 70mph on road would do my head in .. Confused
as would gettin up-to my eyeballs in sheep shit mud ... Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2