Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Incompatible RAM?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Incompatible RAM? Reply with quote

I decided to double the memory in my ancient (7 year old) vaio, (from 2x2gb to 2x4gb), so I could improve the frame rate on my POLite server.... both lots of memory are 1600mhz, (but both brands I've never heard of), with the 2x2gb I get an average of 35fps, but with the 2x4gb I get an average of 20fps Confused

I've tried mixing and switching slots, checked in CPU-Z and the only difference is the cycle time on the 8gb is 1 lower.... I thought maybe I could tweak something in the BIOS, but the Advanced settings have been locked by Sony.... I even checked how much memory could be installed, but that said up to 8gb.

Could it be dodgy memory, is there such a thing as incompatible memory?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

CAS latency, ECC, buffered/non-buffered, speed all could upset a system.

crucial.com has a tool that will scan your pc and tell you which memory you need.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:56 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some suspiciously cheap ram from ebay for my Acer Aspire Revo, and it prevented the machine from booting altogether. I got it replaced pretty quickly, and the machine was fine.

I assume if one chip on the module is not performing to full spec then all the ram gets clocked back to the performance of that, which could mean that bad RAM trashes system performance. Best to do a memory test to be sure I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I got some suspiciously cheap ram from ebay for my Acer Aspire Revo, and it prevented the machine from booting altogether. I got it replaced pretty quickly, and the machine was fine.

I assume if one chip on the module is not performing to full spec then all the ram gets clocked back to the performance of that, which could mean that bad RAM trashes system performance. Best to do a memory test to be sure I guess.

Also, to save you searching, if you are checking for a bad stick, the only software that could identify my bad stick was memtest 86+

easiest to download UBCD, burn to CD and run it on that. I would run 1 stick at a time. It takes a long time but it's thorough.

the windows tool and others couldn't identify my bad ram stick that was repeatedly giving my bsod.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1