Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rowing machine or Exercise bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Rowing machine or Exercise bike Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a piece of exercise equiptment for the spare room however I'm unsure which to go for. I want it for the long run but I will be spending about £200 on whichever I end up with.

Trying to sort out food and exercise to get in better shape whilst working nights. I've used both before but a long time ago. Has anyone got any input or experience on both Question

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need a good exercise bike to be able to spend any time on it. The cheaper ones are friction resistance so the cycles are very jerky. Also to really get into your fat burning zone you need to be doing 45 mins+ at a time. Most bikes don't have the adjustability of a real bike so you can get very sore/uncomfortable very quickly if it's not set up right.

Rowing machines are better for core strength and arguably give more or your muscles groups a workout if you employ the correct technique. But again it'll take time for your arse to stop being sore.

Have you considered a treadmill or cross-trainer? The good treadmills have more give in the surface so are better on your feet and joints. You can also raise the incline a bit if it's too easy.

Cross trainer is also good, more variability, so if you're getting tired you can put on more of an arms bias to rest your legs, and vice versa.

I would get a used one and see how you go. It's a popular time for house moving/clearance/spring cleaning and I've seen loads come up on Gumtree etc.

Whatever you get, you'll get the best results if you persevere. With most indoor cardio equipment, the limiting factor I've always found is boredom and motivation. 90mins every night on a shit piece of equipment will still burn more calories than 30 mins on a top of the range spanker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
You'd need a good exercise bike to be able to spend any time on it. The cheaper ones are friction resistance so the cycles are very jerky. Also to really get into your fat burning zone you need to be doing 45 mins+ at a time. Most bikes don't have the adjustability of a real bike so you can get very sore/uncomfortable very quickly if it's not set up right.

Rowing machines are better for core strength and arguably give more or your muscles groups a workout if you employ the correct technique. But again it'll take time for your arse to stop being sore.

Have you considered a treadmill or cross-trainer? The good treadmills have more give in the surface so are better on your feet and joints. You can also raise the incline a bit if it's too easy.

Cross trainer is also good, more variability, so if you're getting tired you can put on more of an arms bias to rest your legs, and vice versa.

I would get a used one and see how you go. It's a popular time for house moving/clearance/spring cleaning and I've seen loads come up on Gumtree etc.

Whatever you get, you'll get the best results if you persevere. With most indoor cardio equipment, the limiting factor I've always found is boredom and motivation. 90mins every night on a shit piece of equipment will still burn more calories than 30 mins on a top of the range spanker.

Can't do treadmills as I've had a dodgy lung since birth always hurt when I run and tasted blood hence why I hated exercise at school I'm currently doing about 20k steps at work; so it's not like I'm doing no exercise at the moment. In total last month I did 300k steps so actually getting up and walking doesn't bother me. I'm also doing push ups every day and sit ups just to get some extra exercise in at the moment.

Though saying all that having a bad diet and not planning meals before hand is probably just ruining that. Along with sugary junk food from work vending machines when I feel peckish.

Haven't actually considered a cross trainer; wanted to give as much muscle groups as possible a work out at the same time. Finding time to do the exercise would be easy really; I'm getting about 8hrs sleep and sitting in front of the tv or reading a book before I go work.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my cross trainer. Half an hour most days, plus a few sit-ups and push-ups seems to keep just about everything in decent shape - I can keep up with the youngsters at karate just fine Wink

I was a 38" waist, rapidly heading for 40"... after about 9 months of regular use, I had to go out and buy 36s.... last time I was in 36" trousers, I was at uni, and that's a lot of years ago...

I bought an ebay one to start with and when it started to go wrong (the electronic adjustment on the resistance kept randomly changing) after a year or so, I knew that I was using it enough to spend proper money (£500 in my case) on a replacement.

Cheaper crosstrainers (and especially the ones that can also be sorta used as bikes) have the same problems as cheap exercise bikes - jerky etc. Also, if you're tall, watch out for stride length - much less than 18" and you'll feel like you're mincing, not walking Wink Try before you buy, if possible.

There are days when I'd like a rowing machine for a bit of a change, but I can only fit one massive lump of gym equipment in the bedroom at a time, so turn up the Planet Rock and keep grinding out the steps Very Happy

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a simple barbel weight strength training programme? Google 5x5 and you'll find plenty of info. You don't need a lot to get started, a standard weight bar, some weight plates, a bench and some posts. I find it more rewarding than sitting on a stationery bike.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:18 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the two, get a rowing machine.

Stationary bikes are crap. If you want to ride indoors, just get some rollers for your normal bike, or ride outside.

TheSmiler wrote:
wanted to give as much muscle groups as possible a work out at the same time

Based on this, I'd also go for some second-hand strength equipment - £200 should go a fair way towards a bar, a rack, some plates, and a bench. You don't need much more than that to get a decent 5-rep strength programme on the go.

Go for a brisk walk if you want to do cardio!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:49 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got bad lungs and bad knees I'd do neither. Just do some bodyweight work, squats, lunges, planks, a few light weights. Body twists, sit ups if you can manage it.

Exercise equipment is pretty much a waste of time. If you get bored of your current workout you change it, but you can't really change a bike or rower. A rower will give you a better workout I think but neither is as good as a decent bunch of core excercises you can do on a matt. The matt will be cheaper than the rower or bike too. If you don't use it it'll just take up space and gather dust.

If you are serious about getting fitter, then you should get a personal trainer to write you a programme, then stick with it. You need to not neglect your diet as well as actually training. Once I got going, I started to add excercises and train myself which means now I train for about 2-3 hrs 3 times a week. The last time I saw a trainer was back in 2010 before I got married and I still train. As long as you're in a habit you'll do it. I have a yoga mat, a set of dumbells and a bar and thats all I've ever needed.

Another option is to get wrist and ankle weights and wear them continuously. You'll find after three weeks of wearing them all day every day you'll see and feel the difference. You'll be able to move better, walk faster, jump higher etc. Much cheaper than a rower or a bike that will never get used IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, i get more use out of the bike, though i am into cycling anyway.
Mine has magnetic resistance.

If you want overall fitness rower might be better, also easier to do high intensity training in short time on a rower.

p.s as it's Smiler asking, get a rower, you won't fall off of it Very Happy Thumbs Up

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Rowing machine or Exercise bike Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
I'm looking at getting a piece of exercise equiptment for the spare room however I'm unsure which to go for. I want it for the long run but I will be spending about £200 on whichever I end up with.

Trying to sort out food and exercise to get in better shape whilst working nights. I've used both before but a long time ago. Has anyone got any input or experience on both Question

I’d always go for free weights, a bench and some weights over something cardio based any day of the week.

I did Tough Mudder last year and focussed my training on cardio, doing lots of runs. Although I lost plenty of fat, I also lost plenty of muscle in the process. I’ve now gone back to the gym as it’s better for keeping the fat off but keeping muscle and strength up.

So yeah, free weights. Heavy, compound movements. Bench press, squat, deadlift. You’ll burn fat AND build muscle.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above. Starting strength program or one of the 5x5 variants are a good place to start. You do need to lift heavy for it to be effective (once you have good form down). Combined with the right diet (and that doesnt mean starve yourself type of diet) it's effective.

Only really 5 excercises you need - squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and barbell rows. Pull ups are another good one to add in.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:59 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
As above. Starting strength program or one of the 5x5 variants are a good place to start. You do need to lift heavy for it to be effective (once you have good form down). Combined with the right diet (and that doesnt mean starve yourself type of diet) it's effective.

Only really 5 excercises you need - squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and barbell rows. Pull ups are another good one to add in.

Negative. It doesn't matter how heavy a weight you lift as long as you do it to failure. If you do three sets of a light weight to failure or three sets of a heavy weight to failure you get the same benefit. It's just that lighter weights need more reps and therefore take longer. However lighter weights are less likely to result in a strain or pull, especially for someone who hasn't trained before. I can just imagine Smiler ordering some 16kg dumbells on Ebay and then spending the rest of the month off work recovering from a strain.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
You'd need a good exercise bike to be able to spend any time on it. The cheaper ones are friction resistance so the cycles are very jerky.

This. I got one from the laminated book of dreams without properly researching it, on anything but the weakest resistance it's incredibly jerky and I can't imagine is very good for your knees. A bicycle and a turbo trainer's a better alternative, particularly as you can go for a ride in the sunshine when you want.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay,

I’ve done the 5x5 before and it was pretty good.

You start with just the bar and add 2.5kg per workout, so there’s minimal chance of injury. KGM meant you need to lift heavy on that workout as obviously squatting 20kg 5 reps for 5 sets won’t work your muscles the same as doing 100kg 5 reps for 5 sets.

I ended up squatting over 100kg 5x5 which, I thought pretty good for someone not much more than 11st.

Plus, psychologically, you’re always going to feel better squatting 100kg for 5 reps than doing 40 reps of the bar!

You are, of course correct though. Muscles do not know heavy, or light, fast or slow; just the effort required to move “Y” weight “X” amount of distance.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy. wrote:
MarJay,

I’ve done the 5x5 before and it was pretty good.

You start with just the bar and add 2.5kg per workout, so there’s minimal chance of injury. KGM meant you need to lift heavy on that workout as obviously squatting 20kg 5 reps for 5 sets won’t work your muscles the same as doing 100kg 5 reps for 5 sets.

I ended up squatting over 100kg 5x5 which, I thought pretty good for someone not much more than 11st.

Plus, psychologically, you’re always going to feel better squatting 100kg for 5 reps than doing 40 reps of the bar!

You are, of course correct though. Muscles do not know heavy, or light, fast or slow; just the effort required to move “Y” weight “X” amount of distance.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say, but I am urging you to consider your audience. This kind of flight of fancy is quite a regular thing for Smiler, and he either doesn't bother, doesn't listen or goes very big. I could imagine him damaging himself with too much weight very quickly.

You also have to bear in mind he tells us on a regular basis he has some sort of lung issue, as well as weak knees which can't ride any bike other than a cruiser or scooter. Heavy weights aren't the kind of strain he needs on them.

Weights work, yes, but they aren't for everybody and it is perfectly possible to train using only bodyweight especially for someone who has pre existing conditions and has never trained before.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
he has some sort of lung issue, as well as weak knees which can't ride any bike other than a cruiser or scooter.

If thats the case I'm not sure how either a rowing machine or static bike will help as both require using your knees and lungs, to get any benefit.

smiler, Is it an actual medically diagnosed lung condition or do you just feel a bit shit when you do cardio.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used kettle bells myself, but the wife wanted to give them a so she got some for mother's Day. She's just following a 10 minute YouTube work out, and is finding it easier to pick up the kids as the weeks have gone by. I'm quite tempted to give them a go as a more cardio type workout with a light weight to supplement strength training.
A mate did 20 minutes a day High Intensity Training by following a YouTube video and dropped a stone in a month, and felt a lot fitter. Cost nothing.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
smiler, Is it an actual medically diagnosed lung condition or do you just feel a bit shit when you do cardio.

If it was something serious I'd like to think he'd have the common sense to speak to his GP first, but as Marjay says, this is Smiler we're talking about.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thank you for the replies. Sorry it's taken so long to reply.

MarJay wrote:

I can just imagine Smiler ordering some 16kg dumbells on Ebay and then spending the rest of the month off work recovering from a strain.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say, but I am urging you to consider your audience. This kind of flight of fancy is quite a regular thing for Smiler, and he either doesn't bother, doesn't listen or goes very big. I could imagine him damaging himself with too much weight very quickly.

You also have to bear in mind he tells us on a regular basis he has some sort of lung issue, as well as weak knees which can't ride any bike other than a cruiser or scooter. Heavy weights aren't the kind of strain he needs on them.

Weights work, yes, but they aren't for everybody and it is perfectly possible to train using only bodyweight especially for someone who has pre existing conditions and has never trained before.

Marjay you forget I used to work with wooden pallets hand sorting 2000 of the buggers a day at 45kg each. When I was down south I was using 15kg dumbells every day as an extra exercise.

I've never mentioned the lung issue before as I don't talk about health on that side of things often the knee yes. The lung issue has been there since birth however when running is where it crops its ugly head. It's a problem with breathing when running; apparently not taking in enough oxygen which causes the winded or burning lung feeling.

At the moment I'm not overweight but after changing jobs I haven't had the need to use muscles much so they have gained fat over the top.

The sudden change to start living more healthy is because my brother suffered several heart attacks just before christmas and now has a tear through two layers of his heart. Also just been put on a (DNR) Do not resussitate he's 29. Father suffered the same when he had a heart attack and was killed on the A50 by JCB in a car crash. When I was younger I was using a wheelchair for more than half a mile as I suffered from arthritis and dyspraxia. However gave that up when I started cycling every night about half a mile; so my aim is to sort my bad knee in the same way hopefully.

Last edited by TheSmiler on 18:15 - 22 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no need for that.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
There was no need for that.

You were right edited post.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
The lung issue has been there since birth however when running is where it crops its ugly head. It's a problem with breathing when running; apparently not taking in enough oxygen which causes the winded or burning lung feeling.

You've just described oxygen debt which is a normal part of exercise. That will reduce when you get fitter. What is your lung issue? It can help to recommend what type of intensity work out to recommend. If you're not sure what the issue is, I'd strongly recommend speaking to your GP before adopting a new exercise pattern.

As a side note, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:

You've just described oxygen debt which is a normal part of exercise. That will reduce when you get fitter. What is your lung issue? It can help to recommend what type of intensity work out to recommend. If you're not sure what the issue is, I'd strongly recommend speaking to your GP before adopting a new exercise pattern.

As a side note, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.

I'm not fully sure every day I get a strong pain in the left side of the lung area that lasts for about 10mins leaving me short of breath even when sitting still. To be honest I haven't been impressed going to the doctors recently all I get are locoms and they are practically useless. Haven't even been to see if I've got the same heart defect as my brother and father.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re purely looking to shed timber, you just won’t use any exercise equipment you buy. You’ll have two weeks at it then drop it.

What worked for me was just walking and paying attention to calorie intake. Myfitnesspal for intake, Fitbit for output.
Download some audiobooks, find somewhere nice to go for a wander and you’ll shrink.
If you keep on top of the food diary then you can’t go wrong.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
I'm not fully sure every day I get a strong pain in the left side of the lung area that lasts for about 10mins leaving me short of breath even when sitting still. To be honest I haven't been impressed going to the doctors recently all I get are locoms and they are practically useless. Haven't even been to see if I've got the same heart defect as my brother and father.

Firstly nearly all GPs are fucking useless in my experience. They're mostly good for one thing which is referring to a specalist doctor.

Secondly what you describe sounds very alarming and could be cardiac related. Throw in a significant family history of cardiac illness I'd really have to push you to get a doctor to investigate further. Troponin levels will stay in the blood for a long time after a cardiac event if there's damage, so it's worth investigating and ruling out rather more mischievous things.

Next time you get this pain, as soon as the pain starts call 111 and play the game. You should have investigations done very quickly.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:48 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of dubious information here, some good.

With regards to the lung and heart issue definitely go and see a doctor. See if you can get referred to a GP approved gym instructor as well, even if only for a short time.

What kind of 'dodgy knees' do you have? How old are you, have you ever seriously damaged knees, any history of arthritis etc?

With regards to the exercise which is considered best I'd be wary of doing anything to an extreme degree. Lifting weights is good however can place a large sudden strain on the cardiovascular system which can be problematic compared to a steady state of cardio, even during reasonably hard exertion.

Avoid lifting weights to failure, this isn't necessary, particularly for weight loss/control (I'd advise anyone doubting this to look into soviet era Olympic lifting, and even current sports training techniques). Using machines is perfectly fine and correct depending on the requirements.

With regards to cycling Vs rowing machines a rower will utilise more muscles, meaning you will potentially improve fitness/health and weight loss sooner. It however also will require a lot more technique and skill and take longer to learn, potentially leading to a greater chance of injury compared to a cycle ergometer.

I'd like to qualify all of this by saying I'm a biomechanist who works in the medical industry although also with athletes, please take this as mild guidance only though. And find what exercise you are happiest doing as adherence is the best exercise of all. And first off consult a doctor.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2