Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB900F exaust pipes temperature difference. Why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

flexgrip
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:27 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: CB900F exaust pipes temperature difference. Why? Reply with quote

Ok, guys, the motorcycle is CB900F 2002. This is not my bike, I am choosing which to buy. And this is the second CB900F (each from different people) which demonstates the same situation exactly with the fourth cylinder: fourth cylinder seems to produce two times lower gas temperature comparing to other cylinders - https://youtu.be/GIhHovQIkyM

Video was shooted 10 minutes after engine start.
So may be it is normal? You can hear the running engine sound, for me it does not produce any suspicious noises. What is your opinion about sound?
Pyrometer was tested on CB400 after this video was shooted and all cylinders indicate approx. the same temperature.

So the questions arise:
1. Is temp diff normal?
2. Is engine sound ok?
3. If not - which problems could indicate this situation?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a carb / fuel injection / water cooled model???
Hotter pipes are a weaker mixture or cooler pipes too rich.

flexgrip
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:05 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Is it a carb / fuel injection / water cooled model???
Hotter pipes are a weaker mixture or cooler pipes too rich.

Fuel injection and water cooled engine, but it still needs for throttle syncronization.
I uploaded vid with tachometer indication with idle running engine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFeR-nxgv4A
Arrow is moving quite a lot. Do I understand correctly that this non-stability is strictly points to synchronization issues?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that the injectors and fuel rail need cleaning & testing first before any other adjustment.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be to do with differences in the the surface areas of the measurement spot. The laser pointer only indicates the centre, and the measured area will be larger the further you are from the surface. I'm not sure if that would over- or under-estimate the temperature, but your data suggests further away (larger measurement circle) biases it upwards. Take readings from the other side of the bike and I reckon the story might be reversed.

Edit: cylinder 1 first pass = 227C, ten seconds later it's 150C. Suggests measurement error.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I think it might be to do with differences in the the surface areas of the measurement spot. The laser pointer only indicates the centre, and the measured area will be larger the further you are from the surface. I'm not sure if that would over- or under-estimate the temperature, but your data suggests further away (larger measurement circle) biases it upwards. Take readings from the other side of the bike and I reckon the story might be reversed.

Edit: cylinder 1 first pass = 227C, ten seconds later it's 150C. Suggests measurement error.

^^This.

I've used one of these to check temperatures on my M900 and it's very dependent on where you place the pointer.

Also, balance the throttles first - don't faff with the injectors. You'll need vacuum gauges or similar - there are DIY options for these online if you need them. Balancing often provides an immediate improvement in response and running. Thumbs Up

Octapode
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be a result of the surface of the exhaust pipes too. Shiny surfaces reflect IR from the surroundings and have emission characteristics the thermometer probably isn't set up to work with, which can cause all kinds of weird readings. It can make for cool pictures with a thermal camera though.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day the spark plugs colours will tell all about the fuel mixtures.
Carbs or fuel injectors/pipes need cleaning before any further adjustment.
16 years old and all.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Also, balance the throttles first - don't faff with the injectors. You'll need vacuum gauges or similar - there are DIY options for these online if you need them. Balancing often provides an immediate improvement in response and running. Thumbs Up

This. I made up a set (they were extortionate 20 years ago, no cheap ebay to compete with). 6mm aquarium airline and 50ml syringes.

Cheapest/Easiest way to smooth out a new-to-you IL4 with issues.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 240 days between these two posts...

CChapin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:46 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Cb900F engine difference between the 81 and 82 years? Reply with quote

I have an 82 Cb900f and have the opportunity to buy an 81 engine that appears to not be burning oil like mine does. Is there a difference between the 82 and 81 models engines?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:47 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Cb900F engine difference between the 81 and 82 years? Reply with quote

CChapin wrote:
I have an 82 Cb900f and have the opportunity to buy an 81 engine that appears to not be burning oil like mine does. Is there a difference between the 82 and 81 models engines?

The lump will be the same.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1