Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do bikers queue at border control,tolls etc?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Do bikers queue at border control,tolls etc? Reply with quote

Hi,

I will be travelling abroad on the bike for the first time and was wondering if bikers are expected to queue in front of the Euro tunnel if it's busy, border controls, tolls, etc? The reason I am asking is because sitting on the bike in the queue for let's say one hour is not the same as being in the car.

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolls and such-like you just pick a queue and go through like the cars. On the tunnel & ferries it's more or less the same when you check in, but they'll stick you in a bike lane and on the ferries usually load you first and on the tunnel they will put you on one side until they load you all last. On the border control I often turn the engine off and paddle forward Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Do bikers queue at border control,tolls etc? Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
I will be travelling abroad on the bike for the first time and was wondering if bikers are expected to queue in front of the Euro tunnel if it's busy, border controls, tolls, etc?
Well I went through Eurotunnel on the bike myself last week and the degree of filtering/queue-jumping was pretty much what you'd expect anywhere else; ie what people reckoned they could get away with. Plenty of grumpy tutting car drivers in the queue who didn't like being carved up by nasty noisy Power Rangers.

Mind you, neither did I Folded arms

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be travelling to Serbia, at their border control waiting time is around 2 hours so I think filtering is a must. What's the worst thing that can happen?

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I went on eutotunnel in March a group of hogriders tried to jump the queue but this little woman ran out from the check point and told them to move all the way to the back. they argued for a few mins until she got on the radio and a load of men with guns turned up.

then they went to the back.

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurotunnel don’t seem to like filtering, plus your held back and the last on the train anyway.
On the ferry’s you tend to get your own lane and are boarded first and it’s cheaper! It is longer but my groin appreciates the extra break.

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aky208 wrote:
On the ferry’s you tend to get your own lane and are boarded first and it’s cheaper! It is longer but my groin appreciates the extra break.

I honestly think the ferry is a better start to a break. It always relaxes me quicker than the tunnel.

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aky208 wrote:

I honestly think the ferry is a better start to a break. It always relaxes me quicker than the tunnel.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat in the pissing rain for about 45 minutes to get on the Eurotunnel train in France. Nobody filtered, me included.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:
Aky208 wrote:

I'm a ferry fan as well. I like going down to Spain on the ferry and starting from there. It's warmer and you get a night on the pop watching absolutely terrible cabaret. It's a brilliant way to start a holiday. (unless you are going to Scandinavia of course Wink )

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:23 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crossing from Bulgaria to Turkey we did a few years back wasn't particularly busy but it took a long time to get through. Lots of checks and then lots more. Trying to leave Montenegro for Croatia involved big queues. I don't remember any notable delays entering or leaving Serbia. EU borders are mostly seamless.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:

since its 20 mins from home and i wake-up in holland i`m inclined to agree .... Laughing

Sweaty_Doughnut
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 21 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
The crossing from Bulgaria to Turkey we did a few years back wasn't particularly busy but it took a long time to get through. Lots of checks and then lots more. Trying to leave Montenegro for Croatia involved big queues. I don't remember any notable delays entering or leaving Serbia. EU borders are mostly seamless.

Did you have to pay the insurance at Serbian border or your bike insurance was accepted?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:04 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
Enduro Numpty wrote:

Did you have to pay the insurance at Serbian border or your bike insurance was accepted?

As far as I remember my bike insurance wasn't a problem. Needed a green card for Turkey and got stung for visas there. Both these crossings were 2012 so things could have changed. I think the regulations at the time said that a green card wasn't required but I arranged one before we left UK based on advice from a motoring organisation. Border officials repeatedly asked to see ALL documentation including green card.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:04 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
Enduro Numpty wrote:

As far as I remember my bike insurance wasn't a problem. Needed a green card for Turkey and got stung for visas there. Both these crossings were 2012 so things could have changed. I think the regulations at the time said that a green card wasn't required but I arranged one before we left UK based on advice from a motoring organisation. Border officials repeatedly asked to see ALL documentation including green card.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 09 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:
I will be travelling to Serbia, at their border control waiting time is around 2 hours so I think filtering is a must. What's the worst thing that can happen?

friend was detained for about 6 hours for trying to enter belarus on a bicycle last year. she'd gone round a queue at the border thinking there was an easier, pedestrian way through.

money saw them freed and on their way... but by all accounts it was not a pleasant experience. not sure how alike serbia and belarus are, but i suspect not much different.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:17 - 15 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
Sweaty_Doughnut wrote:

friend was detained for about 6 hours for trying to enter belarus on a bicycle last year. she'd gone round a queue at the border thinking there was an easier, pedestrian way through.

money saw them freed and on their way... but by all accounts it was not a pleasant experience. not sure how alike serbia and belarus are, but i suspect not much different.

That's what happens when you try to enter corrupt nations like that. Sad, but to be expected. I have a mate who is particularly huge and looks like a bond villain. It's not his fault and he is polite and respectable. He's a businessman, but he is six foot eight and has one of those hyper macho faces. In Moscow he was taken by the police for nothing and they stole all his money.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1