Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

76 in 60 - Insurance update

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:06 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed traps/cameras/b*st*rd camera vans are just luck tbh..

I drove for 10+ years and got 0 tickets. Never close to crashing, but never really sticking to the speed limit. Then one summer they decide to put up traps in random places around Lytham (quietest place on earth) on empty open roads HIDDEN round the corners and behind bushes and boom I have 3 NIPs in 2 months.

It all just depends on whether your local constabulary are short on a bit of cash and know they can sneakily generate a few thousand £'s before people clock on to it that day, then move to a different location. Theres the usual bullshit about accident prone areas but in the locations I've been tagged there had been 0 crashes since I've lived here (25+years).

As for the static cameras well I guess you get no sympathy from me.. (well a little). If I'm going somewhere new i will take it easy or be scanning the road/side of the road ahead of me like a guy on crack if im speeding..

TL:DR

Mobile Cameras can fuck off and die.
Static cameras can and should be easy to avoid

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:00 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Then one summer they decide to put up traps in random places around Lytham (quietest place on earth) on empty open roads HIDDEN round the corners and behind bushes

MOTOR CAR LEGISLATION. HL Deb 16 July 1907 vol 178 cc483-90

Earl Russell wrote:
The home counties have been specially disgraced by the manner in which the Motor-car Act has been administered. Attention is not directed to that which I think your Lordships all agree is of importance—the safety of the public. Policemen are not stationed in the villages where there are people about who might be in danger, but are hidden in hedges or ditches by the side of the most open roads in the country.

Lord Montagu of Beaulieu wrote:
I am entirely in sympathy with what the noble Earl said with regard to police traps. In my opinion they are manifestly absurd as a protection to the public, and they are used in many counties merely as a means of extracting money from the passing traveller in a way which reminds one of the highwaymen of the Middle Ages.

Plus ça change.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:24 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuinely intriguing to see people arguing the same exact facts more than 100 years ago, yet the people in charge of road traffic refuse to change...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Genuinely intriguing to see people arguing the same exact facts more than 100 years ago, yet the people in charge of road traffic refuse to change...

Well, they did pick up on one idea:

Viscount Castlereagh, Marquess of Londonderry wrote:
With regard to the use of the roads by motorcars, I should like to see adopted the suggestion which was made by a friend of mine in the other House, who advocated a tariff on motor-cars of £1 or 10s. per horse-power.

Oh, they picked up on that one all right.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

Well, they did pick up on one idea:

Viscount Castlereagh, Marquess of Londonderry wrote:
With regard to the use of the roads by motorcars, I should like to see adopted the suggestion which was made by a friend of mine in the other House, who advocated a tariff on motor-cars of £1 or 10s. per horse-power.

Oh, they picked up on that one all right.

Incidentally £1 per horsepower is pretty much what I pay to tax the F800GS. The more things change, the more things stay the same I guess...

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 1mph over the threshold thing makes no sense to me.
Are they saying that you have gone too fast to be made safe again following the contents of the course and so need to pay more monies and spend more time off the road to learn how to slow down?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Are they saying that you have gone too fast to be made safe again following the contents of the course and so need to pay more monies and spend more time off the road to learn how to slow down?

So where would you draw the line then, as where ever you draw it, there is always the chance to got 1mph over it

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:34 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

The peculiar part that he'll be done for the 76 since he's too #BakLayf to learn to slow down, and offered a Kitten Kourse for the 68 since he's not.

But... it's the same rider. Shhh!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pjay wrote:

The peculiar part that he'll be done for the 76 since he's too #BakLayf to learn to slow down, and offered a Kitten Kourse for the 68 since he's not.

But... it's the same rider. Shhh!

It's like Schrödinger's cat, he both is an isn't eligible at the same time

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:39 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

They're saying that you don't meet their criteria for doing a speed awareness course.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:47 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
So where would you draw the line then

Did anyone die through your speeding, no, drop it.
Yes, 20 years in prison, fuck you.
Injured, insurance pay mad dollar, you get 6 points and £1500 fine or 3 months in prison with Bubba.

3 easy responses to speeding. Unfortunately they'd never get approved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
So where would you draw the line then, as where ever you draw it, there is always the chance to got 1mph over it

I would allow people to opt in to the course upto the threshold, and then force them onto the course over it, plus fine/ban.

If the point of the course is to save lives, why would there be a speed where the course isn't going to help?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

I would allow people to opt in to the course upto the threshold, and then force them onto the course over it, plus fine/ban.

If the point of the course is to save lives, why would there be a speed where the course isn't going to help?

But without a limit, you could do 100mph in a 30 limit and as a 1st offence opt for zero points and a speed awareness course

There has to be some limit surely

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Pjay wrote:

But without a limit, you could do 100mph in a 30 limit and as a 1st offence opt for zero points and a speed awareness course

There has to be some limit surely

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, but the usual reason for opting for a speed awareness course is to avoid any points/ban

No one will go on a course if they are already going to be banned anyway, there is little incentive to actually take part

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Fair point, but the usual reason for opting for a speed awareness course is to avoid any points/ban

No one will go on a course if they are already going to be banned anyway, there is little incentive to actually take part

Hence the 'force them' part.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is luck. Without exception every time I ride, I speed at some or many points during that ride. Even on the scoot.
If I rode every day I would not have the clean licence I do have. I would have a far greater chance of being unlucky.
Recreational biking ftw.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:57 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my very lucky break I still insist that I'll never take one of those courses. I'd rather spend the next three years sticking to the speed limits or get banned.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:53 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there was no letter today....
So thats like a sort of win.

its not easy sticking to 70mph while every other sod is taking the piss.
Even when some twat cut me up real nasty to make a junction i didn't retaliate.

Kittens are proper safe and well.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It is luck. Without exception every time I ride, I speed at some or many points during that ride. Even on the scoot.
If I rode every day I would not have the clean licence I do have. I would have a far greater chance of being unlucky.
Recreational biking ftw.

Depends if you know the roads you ride. On my 125 I 'tested' the speed cameras on my commute, so I knew which ones went off at 40, and which went off at 50 then slowed down accordingly Cool

Then they replaced them with (I think) digital cameras which seem a lot more accurate, as in they flash you when you're only a little bit over, so now I actually have to slow down to 30 mph Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:52 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have trouble working out the validity of cameras.

If you don't know they are there, they don't slow you down. therefore what use are they to saving lives in that instance and really, is a few miles per hour over going to kill a million kittens.

Sadly it's the way the world is going but I'd rather be pulled over by a copper, bollocked for my speeding or done for driving without care and attention if I was being a cnut.

I have seen someone swerving all over the A5 reading a map (I think) while driving and it isn't an isolated incident. Speed cameras there won't pick that up or mobile phone use.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I still have trouble working out the validity of cameras.

If you don't know they are there, they don't slow you down. therefore what use are they to saving lives in that instance and really, is a few miles per hour over going to kill a million kittens.

But that is precisely the reason, most folk do know they are there and will slow down (in that instance), it's not as though they are hidden, they all have to be sign posted, and all static cameras are painted bright yellow, if that doesn't give the game away then you clearly aren't paying enough attention to the road in the 1st place (probably because playing on phone or reading map)

And then those who do get caught out will have a sharp shock and probably make them slow down/pay more attention whilst driving in the future

I'd much rather have static speed camera in known locations, than more coppers in cars in unknown locations

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been done by a camera once in 40 years of driving.

That was the one they put at the bottom of a long steep hill on the M5 when it goes into Avonmouth. (long since removed as it never passed the criteria for camera location)

Despite the plethora of speed cameras I have done the peak district at speeds including stops just before the the second average speed camera so my average speed is under 50.

I do the A421 at stupid speeds, slowing down for the cameras and speeding up afterwards.

Have these cameras done their job in slowing me down? (I'm not talking cameras in villages etc. as I always slow down to 30 anyway)

I do this in the knowledge the chance of a copper being around is bordering on nil and I haven't been proved anything but right yet.

So I ask again, what is the validity of cameras.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The validity is that most folk will slow down for said cameras, especially average speed cameras

And yes, there will always be some cameras out there that don't make much sense in them being where they are, but the vast majority are located in accident hot spots

And i too have only ever been caught speeding once in 22 years of driving, and that was a mobile speed camera van in a location i had not been before, and i certainly don't stick to the strict speed limit, but i'm also no nutter either

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
And yes, there will always be some cameras out there that don't make much sense in them being where they are, but the vast majority are located in accident hot spots

That's what doesn't make sense to me, you have an accident black spot, normally caused by a dodgy junction so they stick up a camera causing people to take their eyes off the road and check their speed? Eh?

Combined with the recent addition of average speed cameras, which on motorways (already our safest roads) introduces people randomly braking for them, and red light speed cameras it's hard to see the safety angle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5