Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

76 in 60 - Insurance update

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:56 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

im interested to know what the threshold is for getting an actual speeding fine?

So 65 in a 60 zone?

The thing is how can one the prosecutor know you are actually doing 65? Or can prove that you wilfully went 65?

We all know that most speedometers are innacurate to a degree... Ive worked out my er6f has a 10% headroom... Some speedometers, mostly mechanical ones can have a understatement, esp in colder weather.

Then theres the traps themselves. They are not perfectly accurate and there accuracy fluctuates with the temperature of the day.

Not only does the temperature affect the electronics directly, making slight shifts in operating frequency, the temperature also changes the refraction index of air, this can throw radar and lidar accuracy off by a few %...

Its realistic to presume that at a medium range, these detectors could estimate your easily doing 65 when youre really doing 58.

Going 10-20 over the limit is obvious, but when the speeding is much more narrow, i would argue that scientifically its hard to prove that speeding did indeed occur... And more harder to prove that wilful speeding did occur.

Now I dont speed... Not intentionally anyway. But there are times Ive noticed that Im cruising at 60. then hit a downward hill not even changing my throttle then peek down at the speedo and realise it says 70... I didnt even feel the speed increase. Now being a good boy i throttled back to be sure. But short blips like that cant be called wilful speeding...

This is where I feel the average speed cameras are a better choice. At least these catch people who are wilfully going faster than they know they should be.... >.>

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threshold is generally considered to be 10% +2 for "most" static speed camera devices AFAIK

But in theory, you could still be prosecuted for doing 1 or 2 mph over the limit, though i'd suspect if that ever got to court, you could get it overturned based on speedo inaccuracies etc

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:32 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
We all know that most speedometers are innacurate to a degree... Ive worked out my er6f has a 10% headroom... Some speedometers, mostly mechanical ones can have a understatement, esp in colder weather.

Which ones? Speedometers are allowed to read over, but not under.

Almost every speedo on every vehicle I've ever driven or ridden has read over, sometimes hugely over, so that they can't be accused of going under even with soft, cold tyres. The sole exception was my Lifan 250 which was bang on according to speed nag signs and GPS.

NutsyUk wrote:
Not only does the temperature affect the electronics directly, making slight shifts in operating frequency, the temperature also changes the refraction index of air, this can throw radar and lidar accuracy off by a few %...

I believe that Sir may be reaching somewhat with that claim.

NutsyUk wrote:
Its realistic to presume that at a medium range, these detectors could estimate your easily doing 65 when youre really doing 58.

The speed of light in air changes by 12% over a 25K temperature range, you say? Do please argue that in court and let us know how it turns out.

NutsyUk wrote:
Now I dont speed...

That queue of traffic constantly building up behind you is a signal of your virtue that can be seen from space.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:09 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol thanks Roger...

Well it's not that the speed of light is changing enough to throw readings. More that the distance light needs to travel changes...

Heat shimmers, mirages and the like.... These throw off readings to a degree... More than enough to lower the accuracy...

Also when hardware is tied to its own clock, the clock frequency changes depending on the heat... The window can be as much as 10% in some cases. If that lidar/radar is basing it's calculation in the clock cycle (it is...) this will also throw the result off...

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you travel at the speed of dark, speed cameras will never be able to catch you as the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light Confused

Last edited by woo on 16:29 - 31 May 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a similar bike that has insurance. Clone plate and laugh away.

TBH I'm amazed its not a much more widespread problem.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:14 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Well it's not that the speed of light is changing enough to throw readings. More that the distance light needs to travel changes...

Heat makes the planet expand by 10%. Fact.

NutsyUk wrote:
Also when hardware is tied to its own clock, the clock frequency changes depending on the heat... The window can be as much as 10% in some cases. If that lidar/radar is basing it's calculation in the clock cycle (it is...) this will also throw the result off...

You should let the camera manufacturers and the Home Office know this surprising information. It sounds like they've not thought of it. Potentially millions (or if hot, billions) of convictions could be overturned if this gets out.

Wait, is this why when you're stuck in the office on a nice day, time seems to pass more slowly? Thinking

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:32 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

Heat makes the planet expand by 10%. Fact.

NutsyUk wrote:

You should let the camera manufacturers and the Home Office know this surprising information. It sounds like they've not thought of it. Potentially millions (or if hot, billions) of convictions could be overturned if this gets out.

Wait, is this why when you're stuck in the office on a nice day, time seems to pass more slowly? Thinking

sighs, your missing my point.

and no i dont mean the earth expands (does it?) I mean the refraction index of air changes in heat. so when the photon of light is moving its not going ---------------- its going \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ it wiggles. it needs to travel more distance. But the main miscalculations will come from not just it having to further but by also hitting pockets of different temperature air... These pockets would have a different refraction index... also the bonnet of a car is hotter... this throws another refraction index... My point is, these things can not be accounted for when you calculate a speed of an object. Im not saying theyre completely wrong but there are margins for error. And those margins change based on a whole ton of factors...

I think it would be fair to say on any given day 5mph +/- is a fair deviation guess...

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence my post above about the 10% +2 (unofficial) rule/guidlines with regards speeding offences

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:46 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

anyone else got a 16 plate 600rr? asking for a friend? Wink

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:49 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Hence my post above about the 10% +2 (unofficial) rule/guidlines with regards speeding offences

Nods, thats probably it Smile

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Or a Romanian/Polish plate

Wonder how often foreign offenders get chased up for speeding?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

I'm mocking your point.

NutsyUk wrote:
I mean the refraction index of air changes in heat.

For a 633nm wavelenth, at 1 Bar.

278.15K, n = 1.000282756
323.15K, n = 1.000271800

Of course, that's using the Ciddor method. You may be an adherent to Modified Edlén, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Check my arithmetic, but I make that a 0.0010953% difference, not 10%.

NutsyUk wrote:
I think it would be fair to say on any given day 5mph +/- is a fair deviation guess...

Sure, for speeds around 4,565mph.

Fireblade, right? Shall we calculate the red-shift at that speed? I bet it's 10%. 10% is always a reasonable guess when you don't have the slightest grasp of science, it's fair to say.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: speeding Reply with quote

Moral of the story, pay more attention dude !!! you cant say you didn't see the speed zone etc. could you.

Its easy for me to say this as I live out in the country, but do from time to time have to go into the "city" or busy race tracks, sorry roads you will have to use.

I stick to the speed limit.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

and no i dont mean the earth expands (does it?) I mean the refraction index of air changes in heat. so when the photon of light is moving its not going ---------------- its going \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ it wiggles. it needs to travel more distance. But the main miscalculations will come from not just it having to further but by also hitting pockets of different temperature air... These pockets would have a different refraction index... also the bonnet of a car is hotter... this throws another refraction index... My point is, these things can not be accounted for when you calculate a speed of an object. Im not saying theyre completely wrong but there are margins for error. And those margins change based on a whole ton of factors...

Can I just interrupt at this point and tell you that my Science Degree keeps nudging me in the ribs and saying "Nutsy is talking absolute bollocks" ... thought I'd better pass it on. Nothing personal.

Also, while I'm at it: you're not your.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:17 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: speeding Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
I stick to the speed limit.

+1 Funny.

Everybody sticks to it sometimes.

Nobody sticks to it all the time.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: speeding Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I tried it once. Massively overrated.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: speeding Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I tried it once. Massively overrated.

lol

aaand *goes back to doing nothing where its safer

Last edited by NutsyUk on 15:22 - 31 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
when the photon of light is moving

At the size of photons, we are getting into the quantum realm, so why not just argue that by observing your speed, they did in fact change it from the other reality, where you were in fact well within the speed limit, until they measured it?

This means that you were forced by the speed measuring equipment to break the speed limit - a mitigating circumstance if ever I heard one Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:31 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
when the photon of light is moving

At the size of photons, we are getting into the quantum realm, so why not just argue that by observing your speed, they did in fact change it from the other reality, where you were in fact well within the speed limit, until they measured it?

This means that you were forced by the speed measuring equipment to break the speed limit - a mitigating circumstance if ever I heard one Thumbs Up

lol, "Why no officer Doctor Schrodinger i did not break the speed limit, it was your cat.... Or was it?" D:

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:07 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Heisenberg Defence: if you know how fast I was going, you can't be sure I was there.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:32 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone interested.

i called my insurance company (MCE)
As my insurance is due in a week.

i explained that i had 2 SP50s pending and they provided me with a quote on the basis of 6 points.

Last years cost was £110.
this years renewal including the 6 points was £144.

i didn't think an increase of £30 was at all bad.

in before
Cool Story bro...
Quoted before post is edited.
Very Happy

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Or a Romanian/Polish plate

Wonder how often foreign offenders get chased up for speeding?

I don't think their system has the same liability as ours, where we accuse the registered keeper, they expect you to summons the driver, or some such?

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/859071/EU-driving-law-fines-speeding-UK

Ignore the bit about the EU Fucking us, it's our UK clowns who are inadequately transferring the laws over.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:39 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one of the NIPs were processed and i attended a morning course for speed awareness.

to be fair to the 2 chaps running the course, they were nice as pie.
not at all narky or anything.

However i have not heard anything about the other NIP which should have gone straight to 3 points and £100.

are there any time limits involved ?
this happened back in may/

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:20 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it; they (police and CPS) have six months to pass the information to the courts.

So, there's both still time for that and I presume for them to request their bribe.

And in some cases it will happen a couple of days before six months (with the courts issuing a summons after).

Hopefully you've been lucky, they got mixed up and someone ticked the 'speed awareness' box for both of them or something.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5