Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The clever ones in BCF

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: The clever ones in BCF Reply with quote

I want to spend about £600.00 on a laptop for work. Only spreadsheets and the normal stuff no gaming. Ideally a touch screen and 15 - 17 inch. Lots of web work website updating etc so fast in that area. Seen this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-YOGA-720-13IKB-13-3-FHD-Touch-2in1-i5-8250U-8GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows-10/263702680769?epid=19017002525&hash=item3d65e794c1:g:-4EAAOSwsBda8Nhz

but only 13 inch screen, apart from that how does the spec look? Only dive into the computer buying pond every so often so looking for someone to recommend a unit they have brought......very pleased good value, futureproof stripes etc.

Thanks for any help Cool

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:37 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any laptop will do spreadsheets and internet.

IMHO

17" is too big for a machine you want to be portable.
Touchscreens are naff, you just end up with fingerprints on the screen and the trackpad is better to use anyway.

Things that matter are the resolution/screen and processor, pretty much anything else you can change. Look for an i5 and 1080p screen IPS is a plus too. You also want an SSD and 8gb of ram, don't worry if it doesn't come with them. You can upgrade it for cheap (~£100 for 4gb RAM +240gb SSD)

Before upgrading to a SATA SSD though check to see if it has m.2/NVME capabilities, as it would be a better option.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:33 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, 17 inch cos' eyes, still want touch screen, pads too small. In the minefield of makers any pointers to the best bet at this price range? reliability foremost?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:06 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, 17 inch cos' eyes, still want touch screen, pads too small. In the minefield of makers any pointers to the best bet at this price range? reliability foremost?

Much of a muchness these days I think, at that price all the brands will be reasonable I like Lenovo personally.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:

Do you mean the pad is physically too small for you to use, or the mouse doesn't move enough? You can increase the sensitivity if needed.

Tbh though I don't like the pads, and tend to use a small wireless mouse instead. Maybe that could be an option for you too?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look used.

In December I picked up a Dell on eBay, i5 (6xxx cant remember exact), 256GB SSD, 500GB HDD, 8GB RAM, some dedicated radeon GPU with 2GB VRAM, 1080p screen. Mint condition £300, if I went new I couldn't get near the spec for the money.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-XPS-L702X-17-3-Core-i7-2630QM-2-0Ghz-12GB-500GB-GT555m-3GB-Win10-Gaming/202306641826?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52343%26meid%3De1fed56b70a149e4b2c75853b1ae33b9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D163031211214%26itm%3D202306641826&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

These - or the 15" version. As long as they have had the thermal paste replaced they are brilliant for the money.

Proper GFX. Proper illuminated keyboard. Decent performance etc etc. Had 3 of them, would have another.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good thing thing to consider when buying a laptop is screen resolution.
A 15" monitor with 1900*1200 or 1920*1080 or better is desirable.
These are commonplace these days, but you can find lower res screens out there still.

I would just look for decent battery life, keyboard and screen, as everything else is going to be good enough for your needs and the keyboard and screen are your points of contact. The battery life goes without saying. It's really off putting when you cant use a laptop away from a charge point.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:28 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the replies BCF guru's Smile

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh just incase you didn't know, Dell have an outlet store https://www.dell.com/uk/dfh/p/

They sell two types of computer here, refurbed units that have been sent back under warranty and repaired (don't worry they replace the faulty parts not repair) and also cancelled orders.

I know of someone that used to order high end servers to spec on the main site, then cancel the order a couple of days in (once it's into production) and then buy it once it hits the outlet store, saving a nice chunk of monies. Now I'm not saying this is an ethical thing to do, but it's an insight to how the outlet store works.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:38 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy refurb business spec machines as it tends to get you a decent screen, processor and chassis and avoids the floppy netbook feel and they're cheap enough I dont worry about them

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch a notebook over 13", it's just too big to carry around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I wouldn't touch a notebook over 13", it's just too big to carry around.

poor little snowflake Twisted Evil
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1