Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance - Claims Help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Djaniero
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Insurance - Claims Help Reply with quote

Hi,

I have finally convinced my other half to come over to the wonderful world of 2 wheels.

We're just going through the process`of getting some insurance quotes etc, and I just wanted some clarification on declaring previous claims.

My other half has had 2 previous not fault accidents in the past 5 years in their car. Would this need to be declared on a new bike policy even though the accident occurred in a car?

To my knowledge, we would have to declare everything, but some of my other biker friends seem to think otherwise?

Thanks for any info

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Insurance - Claims Help Reply with quote

Djaniero wrote:
Would this need to be declared on a new bike policy even though the accident occurred in a car?

Yes. Probably. What does the question say on the form?

Djaniero wrote:
some of my other biker friends seem to think otherwise?

Wishful thinking.

On the other hand, try to use a car NCB on a bike (or vice versa) and your insurance co will tell you you can't because they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Go figure.

Djaniero
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats the thing.

Some comparison websites word it as if you need to declare all regardless of the vehicle involved -car or bike.

While other word their claims section specifically pertaining to previous bike claims only Confused

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should hope your other bike friends never have to make a claim then Laughing

The question is usually "any claims in the past 5 years?" and doesn't make any mention of whether car or bike, in which case, you declare any claim

From Bennets online quote system

Quote:
Have you had or caused any accidents, claims, losses, incidents or damage in any vehicle during the past 3 years whether or not a claim was made and regardless of blame?

This question relates not just to your motorcycle but also any other vehicle you may have used regardless of whether you made a claim on your insurance at the time.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djaniero wrote:
Well thats the thing.
Some comparison websites word it as if you need to declare all regardless of the vehicle involved -car or bike.

No! Here's the thing...

The wording on comparison sites is irrelevant... before taking out any policy via one of those you need to look at the wording of the actual policy on the website of the company you'll be insured with, because that's the only thing that counts. The comparison sites often fudge the wording (as you have discovered), and they have no bearing on the contract you'll have with your insurer.

I have several times discovered, after being directed from the comparison site to the insurer, that there are fundamental errors in what's been transferred over - you always need to check it over on the insurer's site.

That said, I would be very surprised if there's anywhere that you can legitimately not declare car accidents when applying for bike insurance!

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:10 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my bike claim down on my car insurance, they obviously checked up as they sent me a shitty letter saying I was involved in insurance fraud as I had put it down as a non fault and their records showed other wise.

Then ensued 3 months of toing and froing between insurance companies to actually get it sorted. It was non fault and I had 9 months before got the injury claim paid in full and a letter form my insurers saying it was 100% in my favor and would be recorded as a non fault.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djaniero wrote:
others word their claims section specifically pertaining to previous bike claims only Confused

Such as?

I've seen "bike" mentioned in the claim / accident / loss descriptions, but that's essentially meaningless as I've only ever seen "vehicle" in the question itself.

Still, if you've found one that says "bike", then you can only give the information that you've been asked for. Complaint -> Ombudsman if the underwriter calls foul. British justice shall prevail. Folded arms

Or, whatever arry says, now that he's back from strangling Thai ladyboys.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I have several times discovered, after being directed from the comparison site to the insurer, that there are fundamental errors in what's been transferred over - you always need to check it over on the insurer's site.

Assuming they let you. Admiral don't seem to like you reviewing your policy before purchasing it, but as I use Confused (which they own) it seems to transfer over ok based on the documents they spat out.

natefz6 wrote:
I put my bike claim down on my car insurance, they obviously checked up as they sent me a shitty letter saying I was involved in insurance fraud as I had put it down as a non fault and their records showed other wise.

Then ensued 3 months of toing and froing between insurance companies to actually get it sorted. It was non fault and I had 9 months before got the injury claim paid in full and a letter form my insurers saying it was 100% in my favor and would be recorded as a non fault.

Was that before the claim was settled? It was a few years ago but I declared an open case as non-fault, which ended up going split liability Shifty They seem to getting hotter on previous claims now.

Djaniero
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies. Would rather be safe than sorry so, I'll advise them to take the advice I initially gave them and declare everything Cool

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Insurance - Claims Help Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

On the other hand, try to use a car NCB on a bike (or vice versa) and your insurance co will tell you you can't because they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Go figure.

Not used car on a bike. But have used bike on a car Smile Axa or Swift cover used to do it.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:29 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Assuming they let you. Admiral don't seem to like you reviewing your policy before purchasing it, but as I use Confused (which they own) it seems to transfer over ok based on the documents they spat out.

natefz6 wrote:

Was that before the claim was settled? It was a few years ago but I declared an open case as non-fault, which ended up going split liability Shifty They seem to getting hotter on previous claims now.

I had no issues reviewing all of my details on the Admiral site after going through Confused.com when buying my car insurance the other month.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm maybe they changed it or maybe it's an issue with the mobile site.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1