Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Own bike for test - aftermarket exhaust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Own bike for test - aftermarket exhaust Reply with quote

Hi all
Just a quick one, after putting it on hold for a few years i've finally decided on getting my licence upgraded to A.

Do you think they will have something to say if my bike has an aftermarket exhaust? Its not super loud but it is pretty loud (the instructor will probs have to shout on mod1).

I checked on .gov and it doesn't say anywhere that I cannot have one. Just says it needs to be roadworthy etc.

Definitely don't want to take it off and put the stock on so I hope so.

thanks

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:32 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the standard box, why not just stick it on for the tests?

It's not that difficult to do.

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, like I said, I don't want to.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Life EV wrote:

So..., for the sake of a couple of hours or so, all told, you'd rather increase the risk of failing your mod1 or 2, and thus delaying the time before you're able to legally remove your L plates and all the advantages that come with that, well, when I say all, the handful of advantages, but you know what I mean !!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Life EV wrote:

Then on you, and you live with the consequences should worst happen.

I don't think anything will happen. As long as it's road legal.

But if it does that 15 mins spanner work will seem good value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the worst that could happen is I lose my £15.50 and told to go home.

Im only doing the tests to get them out the way as I've been on A2 for some years now, I don't actually 'need' to do them so I'm not too bothered about it.

Also It's easier said than done. My garage was recently broken into and all my tools stolen, which I am yet to replace, so I'd have to sort that out plus source the bolts etc to put the old one back on cause I think they were nicked too for some reason.

Thanks for the reply though

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do what you want as you clearly don't like the answers you're being given on here.

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Just do what you want as you clearly don't like the answers you're being given on here.

That's not true at all, it's sound advice. Although technically my question was If it would be allowed or not. Not if I should put my old one on.

Irrelevant anyway because I've just had a look and the stock exhaust was stolen too Thumbs Down

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure i'll find out when I turn up anyway, I just wanted a heads up wether or not I am likely to even get through the gates Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:04 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put the standard can back on already for doing your tests.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:14 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Life EV wrote:
Well the worst that could happen is I lose my £15.50 and told to go home.

Im only doing the tests to get them out the way as I've been on A2 for some years now, I don't actually 'need' to do them so I'm not too bothered about it.

Also It's easier said than done. My garage was recently broken into and all my tools stolen, which I am yet to replace, so I'd have to sort that out plus source the bolts etc to put the old one back on cause I think they were nicked too for some reason.

Thanks for the reply though

It's gonna turn out that you are the, erm, person who cannot be named again.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Life EV wrote:
My garage was recently broken into and all my tools stolen, which I am yet to replace, so I'd have to sort that out plus source the bolts etc to put the old one back on cause I think they were nicked too for some reason.

I've just had a look and the stick exhaust was stolen too.

And yet they left the bike; how insulting! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's gonna turn out that you are the, erm, person who cannot be named again.

You're being a bit esoteric.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
esoteric.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/oooh-thats.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's a race can/straight through exhaust then.

Not road legal and can easily be too noisy for an MOT. But I don't think it's the examiners job to fine toothcomb your bike for defects. If it's too loud you and he will know straight away before starting the test.

If the bike is an IL4 you might get away with it if it's a well packed exhaust and not a silly shorty can. If the bike was a big V-twin like a VTR or TL you'd have no chance as they can be way too loud.

Might want to re-think your attitude towards your test though, you do need to do it, and want to impress and pass with your riding skills, not turn up and say fuck it I'm only here for a bit of paper and don't really care. That'd be a surefire way to waste your test fee.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:19 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Own bike for test - aftermarket exhaust Reply with quote

Plus Life EV wrote:
Definitely don't want to take it off and put the stock on so I hope so.

I've been on the internets for a while, and I'm pretty sure that's spelled "defiantly".

You're fine, just turn up, there's no attitude test and DVSA Derek can't do nothing about it.

Is what you want to hear.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:36 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had had my garage broken into, and all my tools stolen, and the old exhausts and other junk, only I seem to think worthy of anything but a skip... and I had a bike, and a licence, and could get around....

Spending almost £100 to convert my perfectly adequate for however long A2 licence into a must-have 'A' one.. I HAVE to say PROBABLY wouldn't be right at the top of my 'Must-Do' list...

Worrying whether my, self-confessed "not road-worthy" bike, cos its can's too loud, but MOT man don't moan 'cos he knows its in his 'discretion' and even if he did, I'd just take bike home and swap the can for stock, and bring it back, then swap it back over soon as I had bit of paper in my hand.... would then be a bit of rather redundant consequential worry....

But lets have a think about this...

You bung a bike in for MOT with loud pipe and small plate.... you KNOW before you start MOT man has cause NOT to give you the ticket you want..... He may moan, he may not.....

You turn up for test on a bike with loud-pipe and small plate... NO its not DVSA-Dereck's job to MOT your bike... nor do the cops's job of enforcing RTA..... B-U-T... you still want a bit of paper off him.... and rules say bike must be road-worthy.... and legal... and with a loud pipe.. you KNOW its not.... he may, he may not.... let you take test....

But it AINT a good start... and IF you turn up for test with that 'known' risk, audibly on display..... what other little infringements did you also take to test, or ride with every day? And Is that going to endear you to DVSA Derick, and make him more of less inclined to check a 'fail' box, when you make a cone wobble as you pass, or whatever?

Your call.... your risk... and you KNOW it to be one......

Meanwhile, you have to save up for some new tools.... wouldn't that, perhaps be better use of the £100 test fees? Would putting a better padlock or whatever on the garage door, be better use of time and money, than chasing tests... on the cheap, on your own bike, you already KNOW is in the margins of the test-spec?

A-N-D... if all goes your way, and you DO get a Ride-What-You-Like 'A' out of it.... what then? You have, I assume been ignoring licence restrictions for however long, riding unrestricted 'A' bike on restricted 'A2' licence...... so what gain the licence? Oh its now legal!!! Well... give or take the 'pull-me' pipework.... otherwise little different... so what's the odds,. you dont merely want to pull the restrictor and let Ins-Co reset your riding history to nil, you want another, fill power bike... one with more power than might be restricted.... I mean you dont go take Ride-What-You-Like 'A' tests to go buy a moped, do you? So, back to the tools and the garage door... how much you pondering paying for this must have more powerful motorcycle... and STILL the tool-box is empty and the garage door swinging ajar..... so how log 'till the chains slacker than lucy-lastics nickers, or you are hopping around wondering how to do an oil change, or fretting that this new bike could be nicked from unsecure garage......

But hey.... its YOUR CALL... you have all the answers and all the reasons to do what you want.. not us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
So it's a race can/straight through exhaust then.

Not road legal and can easily be too noisy for an MOT. But I don't think it's the examiners job to fine toothcomb your bike for defects. If it's too loud you and he will know straight away before starting the test.

Did my advanced appraisal rides with one of those, no baby cats died nor were any fornicates awarded.

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers everyone, and cheers mike that's pretty accurate to the truth.

The Garage Is secure again with locks, CCTV and alarm system etc and I'm slowly getting my tool collection back together again.

You're right I do know its a risk and will probably make me look like a bit of a twat on test day straight away, which to be honest is not what I want to portray to anyone.

As for getting the licence, you're right again. Well, I am only doing it because It needs to be done really, I feel incomplete with only an A2, not to get any new bike or anything. I'm happy with my er6 for the foreseeable.

Maybe ill just wait and see when this new legislation will come through about doing further 'training' to get an upgraded licence.

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, I checked with Scorpion, and the can is road legal, as I have not removed the baffle.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:01 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Life EV wrote:
Maybe ill just wait and see when this new legislation will come through about doing further 'training' to get an upgraded licence.

Why on earth would you wait years for the law to maybe change, then pay hundreds to a Mike while riding around for a day?

It's £15.50 to find out if your can passes the attitude test. You know you can pass these riding tests, you've already done them.

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right. I'll get it booked and report back for anyone interested/ in the same situation

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Own bike for test - aftermarket exhaust Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
DVSA Derek can't do nothing about it.

Nice use of a double negative.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why on earth would you wait years for the law to maybe change, then pay hundreds to a Mike while riding around for a day?

Source on reason for a hold up?; source for the proposal?

From what I remember of my one day of training, not so long ago, they still haven't recovered the money used to create the purpose built test pad. And, at this point in time, continuing to use the current licensing system feels like it only exists to justify the expenditure needed to create the current system.

Feels like a fight between admitting "we got it wrong" and deciding what suit wearing official takes the blame for wasting all that dollar.

Trusting training schools to upgrade people, however, introduces a very interesting level of trust. I'd trust my local one, mind, but not everyone operates on the same level.

Just remove the whole three license thing and have a CBT and a full license, perhaps with an entry age limit of 19-21. Everyone has their own solving theory, suppose; I won't hold out an ounce of hope for logic to apply, though.

Rogerborg wrote:
You know you can pass these riding tests, you've already done them.

Just make sure you weave in and out of lanes to dominate all space on the road during your Module 2 to prevent people from overtaking so that you can pass.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:44 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Source on reason for a hold up?; source for the proposal?

Improving motorcycle training: consultation results by one Mx R. Borg.

NJD wrote:
From what I remember of my one day of training, not so long ago, they still haven't recovered the money used to create the purpose built test pad.

Mike "The Bike" Penning tried to nix the Mod 1 completely when he was Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport) (Roads and Motoring), and go back to a single on-road test.

DVSA Derek (well, Sir Humphrey) called foul because he was so terrorscared of putting down cones and speed measurement things on the road (why need?), plus he has a bad back, you know.

NJD wrote:
And, at this point in time, continuing to use the current licensing system feels like it only exists to justify the expenditure needed to create the current system.

100000000% agree.

NJD wrote:
Trusting training schools to upgrade people, however, introduces a very interesting level of trust. I'd trust my local one, mind, but not everyone operates on the same level.

Well, quite. We keep hearing about 2 hour CBTs, and that's start to finish, not 2 hours on the road.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2