Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker is looking for advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

gst91
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:02 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: New biker is looking for advice Reply with quote

Dear all,

I just got my license and I'm on the hunt for my first bike. Since I cannot afford a new one, I'm looking for a second-hand bike. I'm in love with the fazer600, year of production 2005 onwards. However, the thing is that I don't really know what to focus on. For instance, shall I check mileage? And if so, what would be an acceptable mileage for this particular bike? Also, what about prices in terms of mileage and year of production or service history provided, etc.

I live in The Netherlands and I have found a couple of advertisements so far. If someone is willing to devote a bit more time, please let me know so I can give you these advertisements for a more "thorough" input/advice let's say.

Safe rides to you all! Wink

Cheers,
George.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes check the mileage, the lower the better until you start getting into bikes which have been unused for a long period of time (never a good thing). The newer the bike, the less miles its covered, and the more history it has (in theory) the more you'll pay.

Personally I don't really care about service history but be mindful of the big service intervals (often 12k*). For bikes I always see 30k* as being equivalent to 100k* for cars, sure they might do double, even triple that but it seems to be the mileage where they're getting a bit tired and you start getting issues.

*miles so you'll have to convert to euros Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:27 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post links to the adverts and we'll tell you whether you should buy them or not. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:01 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New biker is looking for advice Reply with quote

gst91 wrote:
I'm in love with the fazer600, year of production 2005 onwards.

What did you like about the one that you test rode?

Or are we talking more like... infatuation?

gst91
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New biker is looking for advice Reply with quote

First of all, thank you all for your interest.

Quote:
What did you like about the one that you test rode?

Or are we talking more like... infatuation?

And yes, perhaps you could say so! I don't know why, I just am!

Here are the links of the adverts:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/motoren-yamaha/m1284345409-yamaha-fz6-fazer-600cc-2006.html?c=9b26ed2a557deff636f4f8b9c5b7a618
https://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/motoren-en-scooters/f_bouwjaar_motor-na%202004/page/9/yamaha-faser-fz600s-2005-175105011.html?sr_ab=1&query=yamaha&local-postcode=6224+ED&local-distance_value=0&min_prijs=1500&max_prijs=3000
https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/yamaha-fz-6-abs-2008-gasoline-black-b7e2506c-4f99-8172-e053-e250040a243f?cldtidx=16
https://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/motoren-en-scooters/f_bouwjaar_motor-na%202004/page/3/yamaha-fz6-s-fazer-bj-2006-175210083.html?sr_ab=0&query=yamaha&local-postcode=6224+ED&local-distance_value=0&min_prijs=1500&max_prijs=3000

Any extra info whatsoever is more than welcome. Smile

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:51 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New biker is looking for advice Reply with quote

gst91 wrote:

Purely from a history of buying things online, I can say (with implications) that I like the colour red, I suppose silver is a fairly nice colour too, I don't like yellowey-orange stripes, and I'm ambivalent about buying from dealers.

HTH. Smile

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:31 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: New biker is looking for advice Reply with quote

gst91 wrote:
Dear all,

I just got my license and I'm on the hunt for my first bike. Since I cannot afford a new one, I'm looking for a second-hand bike. I'm in love with the fazer600, year of production 2005 onwards. However, the thing is that I don't really know what to focus on. For instance, shall I check mileage? And if so, what would be an acceptable mileage for this particular bike? Also, what about prices in terms of mileage and year of production or service history provided, etc.

I live in The Netherlands and I have found a couple of advertisements so far. If someone is willing to devote a bit more time, please let me know so I can give you these advertisements for a more "thorough" input/advice let's say.

Safe rides to you all! Wink

Cheers,
George.

Hello and welcome George!

Long story short the old Fazer is much better bike then the new one. The engine is more powerful and more smooth. The brakes are much better. Means you need to find a old Fazer FZS 600 model so called Foxeye. They have manufactured the Foxeye only 2 years in 2002 and 2003.

The lower the milege the better. Bear in mind 50-60 000 km is nothing for that bike. They easily do over 100 000 km. But as rule of thumb you are looking for the lowest mileage bike that you can find.

FZS600 is great bike, the only thing you need to check is if the front sprocket nut has been upgraded to 12mm: https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,17673.msg204017.html#msg204017

Also stay away from any non-standard modified bikes.

Something like this:

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/yamaha-fzs-600-fazer-gasoline-blue-1945f06c-e361-0112-e053-e250040a7f9c?cldtidx=1

Finally you can visit Fazer owners club for any tips and information
https://foc-u.co.uk/

If your budget allows have a look at Fazer FZS 1000.

Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1