Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

new car Q

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Dear Auntie BCF... by G (30 May 2018 - 09:46)
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:23 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: new car Q Reply with quote

probably not the place to ask but I am only a member of this forum and you all seem like knowledgeable chaps most of the time Laughing

have been driving my old 1.8 petrol astra to death and in the market for a new car. either looking at a 2010+ 3 series or 4 series, now the Q - petrol or diesel? most of my journeys are 5-10min jobs, perhaps once a fortnight i will get a 30-60min city run, sometimes venture out onto the A13/M25 but not regularly. is the dreaded DPF still an issue on newer diesels? i would like to get a bmw 420 but 90% of these popping up are the diesel versions

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:09 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short Journeys = Petrol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:13 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a 4 pot BMW, sorted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I wouldn't buy a diesel at all (unless so stupidly cheap it was almost giving it away) anymore.

Certainly if you live in any of the larger cities at sometime there is going to be an 'eco charge' Rolling Eyes read tax for diesels and I expect car tax to leap for them. Councils need their finances topping up and charging horrible nasty shit emitting diesels is a good earner.

I think only people who do huge mileages can justify the cost and complexity of a modern car diesel.

Get a decent petrol or be a snottie greenie and buy a hybrid. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:11 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I expect car tax to leap for them.

New cars, yes. Used, clean petrols still get pumped compared to death diesels because CO2 and emissions fiddling.

DPF can get forked, I wouldn't touch one after first hand horror anecdotes from short trippers.

Skoda Octavia 1.4 turbo petrol, find (rational) reasons not to get one, other than badge snobbery.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:15 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, I would avoid diesels completely even if i did relatively high mileage, not because of emissions or taxes but because of DPFs which seem to have a tendency to require excessive levels of maintenance and/or replacement no matter the brand.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Skoda Octavia 1.4 turbo petrol, find (rational) reasons not to get one, other than badge snobbery.

Nice and cheap when they go wrong Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit rich telling OP to buy a 6pot BMW or gtfo IMO, especially as most of BMW's current petrol range is 3 and 4pot dull lumps.

As for avoiding new diesels, well I'm not 100% anti if say I did 25k a year, never drove in town or on short cold journey's etc. If my job was thrashing all over Europe or towing a caravan to SOF several times a year I'd be more inclined towards a good Diesel.

Can anyone say 100% that if you drive a diesel hard and fast all the time keeping it really hot and under load, never doing short journey's and you halved your Oil&filter change intervals, and only used the best oil and the ultimate diesel fuels that you'd fuck up the DPF by XX'000 miles? I get how they work and that by nature they should block up and die trapping all that soot, but could a DPF in theory live long enough to outlast a turbo?

Anyway if you want a diesel get a pre Euro4 old one and stay away from the cities. There's much more scope to have fun and tinkering with Diesels that you can delete DPF's and EGR systems on.

Get one with a mechanical pump and it's even more fun IMO!

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a half dead Astra and have been looking at cars.
Newer Astra 1.6T seems the best balance of power/toys over money.
New shape Focus ST if the budget is pushed over £10k, purely because they seem to be barely depreciating.
And finally, for about £14k, Mercedes C250. They had just about abandoned petrol engines but then magically revived them around three years ago.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:50 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Bit rich telling OP to buy a 6pot BMW or gtfo IMO, especially as most of BMW's current petrol range is 3 and 4pot dull lumps.

Not really, BMW 4 pot petrols suck absolute wang. You might as well not buy one, its only for the badge when you buy the low end models.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diesel car is currently on 126k miles and is on its original DPF.

A replacement DPF is around £300 so not really a big deal in the scheme of things.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

A replacement DPF is around £300 so not really a big deal in the scheme of things.

I presume that is the cost of the filter, you fitting it because that is increadibly cheap if it includes fitting.

A typical DPF replacement can start at £900 and depending on vehicle maybe in the order of £1800.

https://advancedmotorcare.co.uk/vehicle-servicing/dpf-servicing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:57 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

I presume that is the cost of the filter, you fitting it because that is increadibly cheap if it includes fitting.

A typical DPF replacement can start at £900 and depending on vehicle maybe in the order of £1800.

Its a piece of cake to replace... thats a massive figure. Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:12 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Because it's being driven. It's short trips that murderkill them because they don't get hot enough to belch the death-dust out.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

Just the part (aftermarket, not OEM).
Should it cost more to do the replacement than any other exhaust bit?

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

Because it's being driven. It's short trips that murderkill them because they don't get hot enough to belch the death-dust out.

Yes.
I have a diagnostic tool that can put the car in regen mode if required. Should be good for annoying the neighbours on a Sunday afternoon Smile

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:39 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I do prefer a petrol to a diesel (have driven both) but was just wondering on the diesel as for some unknown reason Rolling Eyes it seems that german cars are all diesel these days, especially the newer models.

WRT the DPF, I have heard these can be removed/bypassed in some way Twisted Evil Razz although I guess this would need to be put right come MOT time. but i guess there are valves etc in diesels and turbos which can go wrong too at anytime

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing I don't have a DPF on my boat engine, I hardly ever go over 2000 revs and at that speed the smoke would make the cows choke Laughing (till it properly warms up)

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I do prefer a petrol to a diesel (have driven both) but was just wondering on the diesel as for some unknown reason Rolling Eyes it seems that german cars are all diesel these days, especially the newer models...

Because company car tax.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:
I do prefer a petrol to a diesel (have driven both) but was just wondering on the diesel as for some unknown reason Rolling Eyes it seems that german cars are all diesel these days, especially the newer models...

Because company car tax.

What? Diesels are better than petrols for company car tax purposes? That flies in the face of present government policy does it not?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:08 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The policy lags the propaganda by several years, and has only the most tenuous connection with reality.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
What? Diesels are better than petrols for company car tax purposes? That flies in the face of present government policy does it not?

Well, it's changed now, so loads of folk when into the hybrid tech for much savings of tax. The gov. has just realised they're missing out on fat tax and fuel duty thanks to providing incentives to switch, but since realising that the states fuel efficiency is far off the mark due to the unreliable standard method, so currently the company car market is stressing about supplying hybrids worrying they may be left with a huge tax liability if and when the gov increase the tax bands.

It was only 2 years ago when buying a diesel was the most tax efficient in these cases, regardless of actual economy vs. petrol.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I do prefer a petrol to a diesel (have driven both) but was just wondering on the diesel as for some unknown reason Rolling Eyes it seems that german cars are all diesel these days, especially the newer models.

Everyone is trying to offload diesels now, while they still have some value; in a couple of years, you won't be able to give them away.

The new MOT regs that just came in are geared towards taking diesel cars off the road, the emission test is ridiculous - buy a diseasal at your peril, you would be better off spending your spare time setting fire to £20 notes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:22 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
diseasal

Sound dangerouse.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't drive in city centre congestion charge zones, then apart from all the electronics hassles and fragile pumps, then I thought pre 2007 Diesels were still good used buys?

You can still remove DPF's and decat them and pass an MOT at that age or older I thought? It's the newer cars that must be presented for MOT untampered with I thought?

There'll be a buoyant market for these older diesels for many years, and as they get less common people will seek them out as desirable tow cars etc.

I still don't get how anyone can afford to tow a caravan with a V8 petrol Range Rover, X5, Porsche etc? There's still not that many petrol cars that are as good as some diesels for towing, and my experience of downsized petrol engines fails to live up their claims of good mpg.

Turbo petrols drink very heavily when driven hard, which you will do more so in a big car with a small engine. Seeing as turbos arnt good in the real world for economy, then these silly little eco engines should stop using them for emissions reduction.

If you must have a snail on your car, it's better to make it a big one and use it for performance only. You can't have all your cakes and eat them.

All cars soon will be 0.8-1.4L 3cylinder turbo petrols with a 48v mild hybrid electric motor assist as a minimum. Sounds boring to me having only one type of engine choice in any given type of car.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2