Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Choices choices.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Simba76
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:43 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Choices choices..... Reply with quote

Top O' the morning to you all..
After riding an Sv650 for my first year of 'proper' biking I had to sell due to family shenanigans.

I now now find myself in a position to make a purchase once more.
Question is which bike?
Obviously it come to personal preference and what I want from it but form the list below what 'issues' might I have or what should i steer away from?

CBR600R
Triumph Sprint
Gsxr600
Bandit600
Zxr600

Cheers for any advice

-Current bike ......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:46 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sprint is almost double the engine capacity of others and it and the bandit doesn't really sit with the sports bikes that are your other choices.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird list.

I only have experience of the Sprint really. I started off liking mine. Ended up hating it. Engine is great but belongs in Speed Triple type package. The Sprint was a land whale. I wouldn't have one again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from my perspective, I can tell you that the ZX6R is a great bike with very few issues.
However I do pamper mine so that’s why it’s never given me any grief yet Confused
Personally I find it makes a better “out in the sticks” bike than a town bike.
Mine will do town all day long, but it gets hot and a bit lumpy with all the stopping and starting.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:38 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

very confusing list. go sit on a few or test ride a few at dealers.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Choices choices..... Reply with quote

Simba76 wrote:

CBR600R
Triumph Sprint
Gsxr600
Bandit600
Zxr600

Interesting list. But you forgot Triumph Rocket, Kawasaki H2 and Honda Supercub.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:40 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I only have experience of the Sprint really. I started off liking mine. Ended up hating it. Engine is great but belongs in Speed Triple type package. The Sprint was a land whale. I wouldn't have one again.

Whereas I love mine. It eats up the 50 mile commute, is incredibly quick, the fairing is big enough to keep the worst of the weather off but its still narrow enough to fit through most gaps.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
arry wrote:

Whereas I love mine. It eats up the 50 mile commute, is incredibly quick, the fairing is big enough to keep the worst of the weather off but its still narrow enough to fit through most gaps.

Which just goes to show how diverse (thankfully) people opinions are.

To the OP. As said, that is one weird grouping, 2 out and out sports bikes, a sports bike (there is a difference), a sports tourer and a budget all rounder. Add in a Stripple and VStrom and you have just about every sort of bike in Christendom covered.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:13 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why aren't you considering a TDM?

Workmate traded his CBR600R for a CBR600F because he reckoned that it was just as quick point to point on public roads, and more comfortable, is all I have to contribute.

So, Fireblade, obviously.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit meaningless without the years of the bikes (there are alot of different GSXR and ZX6R's) and budget.

But I'd say GSXR because they make knicker elastic snap from a further range than the others.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:49 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
A bit meaningless without the years of the bikes (there are alot of different GSXR and ZX6R's) and budget.

But I'd say GSXR because they make knicker elastic snap from a further range than the others.

Agreed.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:17 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You of course mean a GSX-R750, amirite?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned or ridden all of OPs list.

I'd say gsxr, k2 onwards.

But then I'd agree with Roger. Loving my K5 750 - but it's a fucking useless road bike if you ride anything like me. Down gearing has only exacerbated things.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't like the GSXR750 I test rode (admittedly an older one, early 2000s). It's a good bike just not really suited to road use IMO. It was only fun when caning it, the rest of the time it was awkward and the mid range was gutless. Nice top end though, and handles great at higher speeds. Might suit some but not flexible enough for my needs.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:37 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then grab the 1000, full man beans.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Choices choices..... Reply with quote

Simba76 wrote:
what should i steer away from?

CBR600R
Triumph Sprint
Gsxr600
Bandit600
Zxr600

Cheers for any advice

Steer away from all the above and get a Street Triple. It's only weak point is lack of wind protection for motorways. So steer away from motorways, and you'll be reet. It's a good logical progression from an SV too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:19 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
It was only fun when caning it, the rest of the time it was awkward and the mid range was gutless. Nice top end though, and handles great at higher speeds. Might suit some but not flexible enough for my needs.

But you're after 600s?

Honest question, I don't know how the 750s compare to those 600s. But your description of the GSX-R750 is what I'd use to describe the CBR600F that I tried.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Honest question, I don't know how the 750s compare to those 600s. But your description of the GSX-R750 is what I'd use to describe the CBR600F that I tried.

I've never ridden a 600 IL4. The GSXR was a colleague's bike I took for a run so I can't really offer a comparison. My ER6 felt peppier at normal road speeds than the 750, with the 750 of course being much quicker when the opportunity arose to let it sing. I honestly expected more, I was just disappointed with the mid range. It just didn't really suit my riding style, though I can appreciate why some might like it.

On a track it would be great. I just generally prefer twins and triples for the road, although I'm finding the v4 in my vfr is really growing on me. The MT09 powerplant is really my ideal all rounder. The only other IL4 I've ridden was the MT10 which was awesome, totally different with a stonking amount of torque anywhere and a ridiculous pull up top.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:12 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
My ER6 felt peppier at normal road speeds than the 750, with the 750 of course being much quicker when the opportunity arose to let it sing. I honestly expected more, I was just disappointed with the mid range. It just didn't really suit my riding style, though I can appreciate why some might like it.

Pretty much word for word with my impression of a CBR600F. I suspect that you're going to be even more disappoint with a 600 IL4.

Could be wrong, I've only tried a Bandit 650, Fazer 600 and the CBR, but they were all a case of running out of road before the fun really kicked in.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You of course mean a GSX-R750, amirite?

The number on the GSXR's tail refers to the effective range of the bikes knicker elastic snapping powers.... may as well aim high.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Pretty much word for word with my impression of a CBR600F. I suspect that you're going to be even more disappoint with a 600 IL4.

Could be wrong, I've only tried a Bandit 650, Fazer 600 and the CBR, but they were all a case of running out of road before the fun really kicked in.

My thoughts also - I found myself having to run around in a low gear all the time. I can't see me ever buying a 600 IL4 for anything other than a track day toy.

To be honest I bought the crossrunner as a stand in till next year until I had the funds saved for a tracer but I don't think I'm going to bother now. The more I ride it the more I like it, a really under rated bike. Really easy around town, smooth, comfortable and well capable of scratching too. Carries a pillion well too. Tracer would probably be a bit more entertaining but for the money I paid for the CR it's a real bargain that suits my riding and I'm probably going to struggle to justify swapping it.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the difference with opinions.

I didn't enjoy my gsxr1000. Too easy to go fast.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:20 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Too easy to win.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fite me

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I just repeat the advice I was given thought I couldn't take it as I didn' have a licence but it was "test drive as much as you can"

I know you probably are going to and just wanted to spark a conversion but what one are you leaning toward the most at the moment and why?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2