Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dan Kneen Killed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:59 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Dan Kneen Killed Reply with quote

Shocked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/44311030

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so tragic.

Dan Kneen was such a popular and talented rider. We all know the riders do it because they love it but sometimes the price they are forced to pay is unfairly high

What is unfathomable is what was going on last night with both the Dan Kneen crash and the other incident in which Steve Mercer (allegedly) hit a course car. He's been airlifted off the island for treatment to his, as yet, unspecified injuries.

No doubt an inquiry is underway but how a car and bike can meet on the course means something, somewhere, went badly wrong.

Speculation is futile but surely a big, big cloud will now hang over this years TT.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

No doubt an inquiry is underway but how a car and bike can meet on the course means something, somewhere, went badly wrong.

Steve Mercer from Kent was travelling backwards on the course towards the TT grandstand after an earlier incident in which Manx racer Dan Kneen died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-44314204

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local chatter is that all the riders had been turned round to return to the paddock (which is not unusual when there is a red flag) because of the Dan Kneen incident.

In any case, there should not have been a course car on the course if riders were still out there.

No doubt the full facts will be known eventually, until then none of us know.

Steve Mercer is critical, but stable.

The car driver must be feeling pretty terrible, injured or not.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation is futile but surely a big, big cloud will now hang over this years TT.

Probably more so with Dan being a local lad. Sad

I can't understand what happened with Mercer and the safety car though. Seems a really strange one does that.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:48 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, there should not have been a course car on the course if riders were still out there.

No doubt the full facts will be known eventually, until then none of us know.

I’m not sure we will know. Billy Redmayne was killed after a cock up at Oliver’s Mount and no one knows about that apart from a few present. Basically Lee Johnston crashed badly, they re-started but shouldn’t have as an ambulance was in the wrong place. So they quickly red flagged it and either Dave Hewson or Redmayne didn’t see the flag, they collided on the back straight then Billy went off the Mount.

I’m sure similar mistakes have happened elsewhere, my point is it’s not necessarily in the organiser’s best interests to publicly state what happened. Hopefully as the TT is under more scrutiny than Scarborough, Skerries etc, it is made public. Mercer actually ‘retired’ last year as he didn’t want this to happen when he has a family, I guess the buzz of the IOM and roads lured him back: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-road-races/2017/july/roads-steve-mercer-hangs-up-road-racing-leathers/

Regarding Kneen, it’s a real sickener. Top guy by all accounts and was definitely on for podiums this year plus I fancy a win or two at Ulster. It was rare to see him not smiling.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: A statement issued by Clerk of the Course Gary Thompson reads:

Following the collision which involved the Course Inspection Car and a rider during Wednesday evening’s Superbike Qualifying session, the following procedure will now take place with immediate effect:

A Red Flag instruction will apply to the entire TT Mountain Course irrespective of where that incident has occurred. There will be no movement on the TT Mountain Course by any rider until the incident has been cleared, regardless of how long that incident may take to clear.

The riders will only be permitted to move in Course direction under the control of Travelling Marshals at the front and rear. There will no longer be any movement of riders in the wrong Course direction.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:42 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

but surely a big, big cloud will now hang over this years TT.

Not really.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to say I've never felt good about the "course cars".

Anyone who's been to the TT in the last few years can't have failed to notice the convey of six Imprezas, hooning round the course, all with two or more passengers. What exactly do they claim to be doing that the, bike mounted, travelling marshals aren't?
The cynic in me thinks it's a nice little earner, where anyone with enough dosh can book a fast lap of the course on closed roads!
I know for a fact Stavros has been round in one, I'd like to know what his excuse was, he's raced there, it's not like he doesn't know the course, so he can hardly claim it was for research.
If they're simply course cars why are they hooning round at such high speeds, prior to the racing, surely they should be inspecting the course, which in itself is pointless as the travelling marshals are doing that already!

Sooner or later at least one of those cars is going crash, with catastrophic consequences. The fact they are travelling so fast in such a close convoy, if one of 'em bins it I can't believe there wouldn't be a massive pile up!

As for the, fake, car lap, you know the one where it gets a flying start on new slicks, AV gas, (things that the bikes never get), and claims to be nearly as fast as a Superstock bike, I hope they tell them to stick their money and remove the car from the island, pronto.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:29 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Got to say I've never felt good about the "course cars".

Anyone who's been to the TT in the last few years can't have failed to notice the convey of six Imprezas, hooning round the course, all with two or more passengers. What exactly do they claim to be doing that the, bike mounted, travelling marshals aren't?
The cynic in me thinks it's a nice little earner, where anyone with enough dosh can book a fast lap of the course on closed roads!
I know for a fact Stavros has been round in one, I'd like to know what his excuse was, he's raced there, it's not like he doesn't know the course, so he can hardly claim it was for research.

https://shop.iomtt.com/prdTT2018VIPP/TT-2018-Platinum-VIP-Experience

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:49 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isle of Man TT rider Steve Mercer's condition has been described as "stable" as he continues his recovery from injuries sustained in a collision with a course car on Wednesday evening.

https://www.autosport.com/tt/news/136487/tt-rider-mercer-table-after-surgery

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Pretty much, grumble had a ride in one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPwPAefXhKM
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1