Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When Bike Debt Kills

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:17 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: When Bike Debt Kills Reply with quote

Jerome thought he'd get rich quick as a bike courier, doing hospital gigs, stealing work from honest Blood Bikers.

Jerome was wrong.

CBF125 - the most lethalest bike.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:41 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fucking state of affairs.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:47 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

schadenfreude
ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə,German ˈʃɑːdənˌfrɔydə/
noun
noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
What a fucking state of affairs.

I did the same job years ago, but in a van for Lewis Day.

Can't remember the exact amounts but I had to earn about £300 a week before I was earning anything.
There was van rental, PDA rental, deposits on uniform, obviously my own fuel, the only thing the firm paid for was the
congestion tax. I also had typically about 4 parking tickets a week although I managed to successfully appeal
about half of them. Doing van jobs meant parking near the pick up and would often involve a few trips back and forth
with the sack barrow to get my load on. Typically this was when I'd return to find a ticket on my windscreen.
I was working 14 hours plus a day, with no paid holidays, no sick pay. If you were reluctant to take a job at the end
of the work day because it took you miles further away from home, and sometimes that would be hundreds of miles
then you had marked your card with the controller and you'd get a load of crap for the next few days.
It was during my employ here that I broke my ankle (not at work, I tripped over my mates dog. Embarassed )
Cue three months of no pay while I was in plaster, and a further 3 months of crap small job work because I was
hobbling still and couldn't leg it back to the van sharpish to get away before the parking vultures got me.

Whilst away from the van you were in a constant state of stress as you were worried about the parking wardens.
The bellends in the mail rooms didn't seem to get this and often you'd come out after their faffing about to find
a ticket which more than cancelled out the job you were about to do. A W1 to W1 paid a fiver. It was just cack.
It was during the infancy of sat nav technology with a nav machine having a very cost prohibitive price.
So I did the job using maps and the A-Z. I was constantly buying local maps in other areas from petrol stations
when I was out of the capital which of course was more expense fro me. Often I'd not get to use those maps twice.

Anyhoo, the episode with my ankle was the last straw and I left for pastures new and never looked back.
The firm stitched me up in my final pay packet and kept a load of money back because somewhere along the
line I'd lost a ratchet strap, I ended up about another 300 quid down. It's only a good job if you can work in a pair
and keep the van running 24/7 like the polish lads did. One sleeping in the cab while the other drove. It also helped
with the parking vultures because the backup driver could go round the block if the African parking mafia appeared
out of the blue and the van was never left unattended. The worst one was when you had to go up to the 20th floor of
some massive building to find you had 40 boxes of copier paper or a huge print job to get down to to the street.
I was smoking 40 a day back in those days just to keep sane and often had to go find my mrs who was working
in Grays inn Road at the time to scrounge some diesel money just so I could do an unexpected long distance job.

I don't remember anybody asking to do a documentary about how much my work life sucked at the time.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They clamped his bike? It was on finance though, so technically not his anyway

And what's criminal, Honda's offer of £400!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:07 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

CBF125 according to the emo-documentary that they're shilling, it was probably completely fluxxed by then.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
They clamped his bike? It was on finance though, so technically not his anyway

Finance doesn't pay fines.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nehmind eh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard something about this a couple of days ago but I missed a bit,
I was going to watch it on the iplayer but as it's been posted here I
have had a look...

He should of stuck to food delivery.....

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have stayed out of bus lanes.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 31 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Should have stayed out of bus lanes.

And that illegal right hand turn.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:41 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
I heard something about this a couple of days ago but I missed a bit,
I was going to watch it on the iplayer but as it's been posted here I
have had a look...

He should of stuck to food delivery.....

Did you mean he should have?

Razz

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
schadenfreude
ˈʃɑːd(ə)nˌfrɔɪdə,German ˈʃɑːdənˌfrɔydə/
noun
noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

I think you mean epicaricacy.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn...

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of that is new. As per Grrrs post, self employed courier work has always been a shitty job unless you're best mates with the controllers and getting fed all the good jobs. Even then you'll get screwed over at some point.
From skim reading that article the lad did everything wrong. Maybe there's a need for a basic life skills course in schools. Something along the lines of: Do stupid = you get fck'd.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely found this story sad. It's not really a tale of misfortune though, but for me just highlighted the lack of support structure within the family, particularly the number of poor financial decisions made, both by the poor lad and by his brother.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Whilst away from the van you were in a constant state of stress as you were worried about the parking wardens.

I used to be this way then stopped caring Smile I get why people get so pissed off at traffic nazi's as one ticket wipes out your days earnings (at least in London), but I think I've had 3 in 5 years or something.

If mums partner was willing to pay off £500 off the debt surely he should have gone to him straight away with the tickets? Eh? I do feel for the guy, he was an employee of the company and not self-employed Rolling Eyes

It's strange (or maybe not) that the BBC went with the BAME angle, in my experience it's all different backgrounds in these types of jobs, obviously that's going to affect ethnic minority communities more (given the amount in poor areas) but I don't think it's an exploitation/race issue, more the usual getting proles to do the shit jobs and not paying them properly.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's strange (or maybe not) that the BBC went with the BAME angle,

I was thinking the same about certain contributors here.

Poor naïve kid trying to make an honest living, makes some mistakes, the situation escalates, he can't/doesn't get help and it ends tragically.

It also highlights how and why official UK unemployment figures are so low. "Technically self-employed" Shocked

(I'm not sure whether this is a true story or made up though. "Factual drama"? )

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:44 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's strange (or maybe not) that the BBC went with the BAME angle

Really? Really?

You can't go a day without AlBeeb/news front-paging "Being transexual / #BLM / mahometan / EUian / remoaner in the UK".

They're the Culture of Victimhood Enablers in Chief.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a great traffic warden, until I got fired for doing my job properly, like you know, making sure cars weren't causing obstructions, and moving people along, rather than hiding and then ticketing them.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Oh come on. Do you think his ethnicity didn't go some way in encouraging Al Beeb to make a story on it?

Actually I do think the BBC imagines he is the average working class Briton. I've said on another thread that the routine portrayal of British faces by the media is skewed away from reality.

Still, in this case his ethnicity is irrelevant to the story itself.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell mpd the bike was black Shhh!

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/cbf11.jpg

I didn't really get the bailiff/seizing the bike thing either, on can't pay/take it away they don't touch a vehicle if it's on finance. The £400 was probably how much Honda would pay for the bike, they gave a pal £350 for his CBR125 (f**k knows why he accepted it) and sold it for 2k.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

now seen the program on the iplayer.....

This kid reckoned he would be earning £1500 a month, yeah right, a kid
on L plates with no real experience? it would take a few months for him
to be earning that kind of money.

As for the fines, well he's a kid and doesn't understand there are grillions
of cameras that can catch him breaking the laws of the road.

As for the fines he just buried his head in the sand.

Back in the day courier companies wouldn't take him on because of his
age and L plates. Now courier companies take on ANYONE, even if they
don't speak English.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3