Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Driving Licence Postage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Driving Licence Postage Reply with quote

Edit: The DVLA must be watching this forum as my licence arrived just the morning after posting this thread. Very Happy

So I've passed my Mod 2 DAS a couple of weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my updated driving licence to come through the post. Is it normal for it to be 2-3 weeks?
The examiner did mention about it taking X amount of working days for it to arrive, but I was too happy/relieved to be fully listening to him.

If it makes any difference it's a car licence to a car/bike licence, rather than only having the CBT certificate.

That aside, I'm now looking for which bike to buy next. I'm thinking of a Yamaha 600 Fazer or a Suzuki Bandit; partially because I done my lessons on a Fazer and also because I like their style. I might just get the 250 version of my current bike (Sym Wolf 125) but they're so hard to find unless I buy it new, which is also part of its appeal.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 09:43 - 01 Jun 2018; edited 5 times in total

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:09 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Driving Licence Postage Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
So I've passed my Mod 2 DAS a couple of weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my updated driving licence to come through the post. Is it normal for it to be 2-3 weeks?
The examiner did mention about it taking X amount of working days for it to arrive, but I was too happy/relieved to be fully listening to him.

If it makes any difference it's a car licence to a car/bike licence, rather than only having the CBT certificate.

I passed last year, and mine did take a few weeks, can't remember exactly though

But as long as you know you passed, does it really matter, if you still haven't heard in a weeks time, i'd chase them up

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine took about a month when I passed my bike test, a friend got his replacement provisional within a week.... mind you it took them 11 1/2 months to return my license after a disqualification.

Phone them.... it sometimes helps to nag them... a lot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received mine in around two weeks.

I hope you've got your pass certificate in a safe place?

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my updated license last week. Took just over 3 weeks to arrive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVLA must be watching this forum as my licence arrived just this morning. Very Happy

Quote:
I hope you've got your pass certificate in a safe place?

Yes, though the DVLA can sometimes be a law unto themselves when it comes to evidence, which is one reason why I was getting concerned.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:56 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the pass. After a few years on a heavy old unreliable GPZ500 from passing my test I have changed to a YBR250 which suits me far better, is easy to manage, easier to maintain and in better condition. It was expensive especially comparing to 500-600cc but a big issue for me is the weight of the bike manouvering it around at home because I am only 65kg and the GPZ was over 200 meaning I could barely shift it and when I dropped it, 3 people were needed to pick it up.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
Well done on the pass. After a few years on a heavy old unreliable GPZ500 from passing my test I have changed to a YBR250 which suits me far better, is easy to manage, easier to maintain and in better condition. It was expensive especially comparing to 500-600cc but a big issue for me is the weight of the bike manouvering it around at home because I am only 65kg and the GPZ was over 200 meaning I could barely shift it and when I dropped it, 3 people were needed to pick it up.

Thanks.
I know it's often said on here that "you'll get bored of the 'X'cc and soon you'll be wanting a Triumph Rocket III.." but I think I'll be happy with something smaller than a 600; partially because it's still bigger than a 125 but also for the reasons you mentioned. My current Sym Wolf 125 is fine; it's reliable, it's not as wobbly as other 125s and IMO it looks great while not pretending to be a TT racer. The main problem is exactly what you'd expect from a 125; it can't go onto motorways and the 70mph A roads without the revs almost going into red and getting overtaken by everything.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:18 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking to replace the GPZ with the YBR 250 I was also looking at a CRF250 which was slightly newer and more expensive, - others on here have described them as "can't pull the skin off a rice pudding" I haven't test ridden one as the dealer I went to (superbike macclesfield) had a no test rides on weekends policy, I also looked at another couple of honda 250 road bikes (can't remember the models) and found them to be too small frame size wise. The big decider between the YBR 250 and the CRF 250 for me was that when using the bike to go work it was going to be parked in a very scroaty area and the CRF screamed steal me so I would have to carry a chain and lock which I didn't want to do. The YBR has proved so far to be excellent, It is the right weight for me to be able to manouvre at home, it is easy to handle on the roads, it is a bit twitchy on poor tarmac and can feel light at 70mph but then it is. It will sit at 70 doing 8.5k revs in 5th all day long.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've heard Yamahas can be more reliable like that. One reason why I'm not sure about getting a Honda is that their visual design department seems to be either working overtime or they've all gone on holiday; they're either covered in sports fairing or they look super generic, the bike that other manufacturers use as a template. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker but it's something to consider.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1