Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just taken up the motorbike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Howdy everyone,

So I have just bought my first motorcycle, its a Sinnis Cafe 125; I got it second hand and like most things I plan to maintain and run the bike my self.

I still have to do my CBT and get all my gear but have been riding around my driveway (which is quite long).

Iv been a cyclist for years now and I was told from a few people that its kind of the same, but I really dont think it is, its a weird feeling but im hoping that once I can get out on the proper road and get up to speed it wont be so awkward or twitchy.

So I just wanted to say hi and I think thats it.

Cheers.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass the popcorn

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'maintain' do you mean full servicing or just the basics like tire pressure and chain lubing etc? Despite having a passionate interest and a basic qualification in engineering I haven't done the whole 'reassemble your bike from scratch' thing yet; partially because I just don't have the space and also because I want to know that I can do it right rather than riding on something that I've bodged.

I do wonder what your insurance company thinks of insuring a non-licenced road bike. You told them that you'll do 0 miles on it?

Quote:

Iv been a cyclist for years now and I was told from a few people that its kind of the same, but I really dont think it is, its a weird feeling but im hoping that once I can get out on the proper road and get up to speed it wont be so awkward or twitchy.

Yeah I started biking for a similar reason. I've been on push-bikes nearly all my life so I guessed (at least in my case, rightly) that it would be a more natural progression to buy a motorbike. That and despite having a car licence I've never felt comfortable or in any way enthusiastic about car driving.

Of course there are differences, but it feels a lot safer being a fully-fledged motorist rather than hugging the curb all the time. Unless you live near cycle lanes bicycles feel like they've got no natural habitat; they're too fast for pathways and too slow for roads.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 11:47 - 01 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SD

Yeah to start with it would be basics, such as tire pressure, chain tension, air filter, oil and radiator levels and doing my own disk brakes and pad replacements. To be honest I'll see what has to be done and how its done then make the call as to whether I'll do it my self or get it done for me.

I am the same I dont really have the space to store tools and equipment inside where the dust and cold wont ruin them.

So when I first thought riding a motorcycle would be easy, what a fool I know, and I was going to do DA on my own bike I called around insurance companies till I found one that would insure me for a 900cc Bonneville (Thats what I wanted to buy). They give you 90 days to get your full licence and just insure you as a fully licensed driver off the bat.

I completely agree with you about being safer actually being able to be in the middle of the road going the speed limit rather than a slowpoke to the side.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:49 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:
Iv been a cyclist for years now and I was told from a few people that its kind of the same, but I really dont think it is

In terms of road use, there are some shared aspects: assume you're invisible; trust no-one; plan an escape route; watch out for potholes and ropey surfaces.

Dabuke wrote:
ts a weird feeling but im hoping that once I can get out on the proper road and get up to speed it wont be so awkward or twitchy.

As soon as you get some speed up, it gets easier. 125s are actually twitchier than bigger bikes, so unless you're under 19 I wouldn't spend any more time on one than necessary.

The Sinnis Cafe might turn out all right for you - we had a chap here that put 44,000 kilo-miles on one before ripping the sump out on a rock. Regular oil changes, keep the moving bits moving and the bolty bits bolted on and enjoy it.

Dabuke wrote:
I was going to do DA on my own bike

To be clear, you can't ride around using your provisional entitlement on anything bigger than a 125 unless you're accompanied by and in radio contact with a certified bike instructor. It's very tough to DIY it yourself legally.

Dabuke wrote:
I called around insurance companies till I found one that would insure me for a 900cc Bonneville

Bikesure?

If you haven't got insurance on the Sinnis yet, be sure to get it SORNed or DVLA will be sending you nastygrams.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
As soon as you get some speed up, it gets easier. 125s are actually twitchier than bigger bikes, so unless you're under 19 I wouldn't spend any more time on one than necessary.

I'm really glad to hear that, I have felt that the bike is quite twitch, that's the perfect word for it, I was surprised that I couldn't just release the clutch till it started taking off like you could in cars. I felt that along with the fact that its a different type of acceleration (using your hand instead of foot) made it more jumpy, but that was the same when I started driving, it was always slightly to much accelerator until you get use to the fine movements.

Rogerborg wrote:
The Sinnis Cafe might turn out all right for you - we had a chap here that put 44,000 kilo-miles on one before ripping the sump out on a rock. Regular oil changes, keep the moving bits moving and the bolty bits bolted on and enjoy it.

I did read about that, I done some lurking on BCF before joining up, that's ultimately what made me purchase the bike.

Rogerborg wrote:
To be clear, you can't ride around using your provisional entitlement on anything bigger than a 125 unless you're accompanied by and in radio contact with a certified bike instructor. It's very tough to DIY it yourself legally.

So the plan was to buy the Bonnie, get it insured as I could with a company that started with M, i cant remember the name. And on the days of the Module one and two I was going to drive the bike down in the back of a van.

Rogerborg wrote:
If you haven't got insurance on the Sinnis yet, be sure to get it SORNed or DVLA will be sending you nastygrams.

I wonderd about this, because it looks like it will be a month till I get CBT done, my coworker was saying something about me needing to apply for a provisional license? How do the DVLA update the back of your license to show you can ride a 125 after you do your CBT?

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:
Hey SD

Yeah to start with it would be basics, such as tire pressure, chain tension, air filter, oil and radiator levels and doing my own disk brakes and pad replacements. To be honest I'll see what has to be done and how its done then make the call as to whether I'll do it my self or get it done for me.

Be prepared for the sniggering predictions of "you'll be busy then, as Sinnis is Chinese..." but I've heard that Sinnis has gotten better than what its reputation suggests. Then again...the person who told me that is a Sinnis owner..
Even my Taiwanese Sym Wolf received a few derisive side-glances at garages despite it being very reliable (It's 6 years old, I've had it for over 1 year and all I've needed fixed on it is a new battery and break pads. There was an issue with the speedometer but that fixed itself..somehow.)

Quote:
So when I first thought riding a motorcycle would be easy, what a fool I know, and I was going to do DA on my own bike I called around insurance companies till I found one that would insure me for a 900cc Bonneville (Thats what I wanted to buy). They give you 90 days to get your full licence and just insure you as a fully licensed driver off the bat.

Interesting. Do you just phone them up after the 90 days? As completing a DAS with no CBT can take longer than that. For example, especialy in summer it can easily take a month to re-book a failed Mod2 (no idea how I know that....¬¬)

Quote:
I completely agree with you about being safer actually being able to be in the middle of the road going the speed limit rather than a slowpoke to the side.

While that's true, do make sure to get some proper gear. Cheap helmets are for cheap heads Wink
By 'proper' it doesn't have to be the high-end £1000 ones, but I wouldn't get one for less than £100. The same goes for jackets etc.

Last edited by SDFarsight on 12:32 - 01 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dabuke wrote:
Iv been a cyclist for years now and I was told from a few people that its kind of the same, but I really dont think it is

assume you're invisible; trust no-one; plan an escape route

"Be polite, be efficient, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I.. I'm not a biker, Dad I'm a motorcyclist.. What would the difference be!?! One's a job, and the other's mental sickness!"

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SDFarsight"] Be prepared for the sniggering predictions of "you'll be busy then, as Sinnis is Chinese..." but I've heard that Sinnis has gotten better than what the reputation suggests. Then again...the person who told me that is a Sinnis owner..
Even my Taiwanese Sym Wolf recived a few derisive side-glances at garages despite it being very reliable (It's 6 years old, I've had it for over 1 year and all I've needed fixed on it is a new battery and break pads.)/quote]

Let them snigger all they like, I dont really care its a cool looking bike and it does its job, you get the same in cycling and I know guys on beat up pieces of crap who have ridden for Australia.

SDFarsight wrote:
There was an issue with the spedometer but that fixed itself..somehow.)

I love it when issues fix themselves!!

SDFarsight wrote:
Interesting. Do you just phone them up after the 90 days? As completing a DAS with no CBT can take longer than that. For example, especialy in summer it can easily take a month to re-book a failed Mod2 (no idea how I know that....¬¬)

They just assume you have passed your test in those days, if you fail you would have to call them, I have no idea what happens after that.
I know that because the quote was 1k a year and I was like "does it go down to £200-300 after I pass and let them know" and I was told no it doesn't and you don't have to call.

Quote:
While that's true, do make sure to get some proper gear. Cheap helmets are for cheap heads Wink
By 'proper' it doesn't have to be the high-end £1000 ones, but I wouldn't get one for less than £100.

I have my eye on a Moto helmet for £150, I dont intend to cheap out on my boots helmet gloves or jacket.

Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:

I wonderd about this, because it looks like it will be a month till I get CBT done, my coworker was saying something about me needing to apply for a provisional license? How do the DVLA update the back of your license to show you can ride a 125 after you do your CBT?

If you already have a car licence, you almost certainly already have the provisional you need.

They don't update it for the CBT, they just give you a certificate. And nobody ever wants to see it (except my wife's insurance company, they asked for a copy)

But as Rogers says, the law is that if the bike isn't sorned you must insure it.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
There was an issue with the spedometer but that fixed itself..somehow.)

I love it when issues fix themselves!!

I think the guy at the garage inadvertantly fixed it when he was fiddling with the wiring when installing my GPS. If/when I uninstall the GPS for my next bike I wonder if the problem will come back, like how it's better to keep shrapnel in a wound rather than pulling it out.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:
Howdy everyone,

So I have just bought my first motorcycle, its a Sinnis Cafe 125; I got it second hand and like most things I plan to maintain and run the bike my self.

I still have to do my CBT and get all my gear but have been riding around my driveway (which is quite long).

So I just wanted to say hi and I think thats it.

Cheers.

Well obviously you'll have a better sense of balance having been a cyclist, and cycling on the road can be good practice as long as you remember stuff happens a lot quicker on a motorbike (so make those shoulder checks snappier).

Yes it's easier at higher speeds on a motorbike, that's the tricky thing about the CBT, you have to manage low speed control first when ideally you'd probably be better off being let loose on an airfield to get a feel for the bike.

Sinnis seem to be one one of the more highly rated Chinese manufacturers. I do like some of their retro designs Embarassed

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:50 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, firstly gear, Helmets - £150 is to me the max you need to spend but look for function and fit before price. look for replaceable visors cos of scratches, air vents, and a pop down sunvisor for those days when you are riding into the sun. get a tight fit on your head because after a bit of use the padding will slacken - for bonus points get a bluetooth earpiece inside for use with your mobile for music, radio or calls etc. Jackets - buy a couple for the occassions one gets soaked through and if your going textile get removable inners for summer and winter - leathers are not rain proof. so be prepared for an additional over jacket in rain. buy something which makes you visable because you will be delighted at the ability of car drivers to miss seeing you - read all the posts on smidsy's. Trousers have one function if your brave and 2 if you like your limbs keep you dry and protect you in an off - and buy decent boots, shoes or trainers will be trashed and also wont give you correct control. also buy summer and winter gloves.

If you have a full or prov car licence then you should have prov 125 entitlement which is validated by the cbt certificate. No cbt cert on a L Plate bike = at the very least driving without a licence. Also any insurance policy will be void without a valid "pass" cert for the category whether that be cbt or direct access.

I got a 125, did CBT then did Mod 1 and Mod 2 on the 125 meaning I had a 33kw restriction for 2 years. Age makes a difference to the licence route and I will let someone more knowlegeable than me talk to you about that but I do know that you will not be able to rock up at a test centre on a +13kw machine on L Plates without being in the presence of an instructor so you need to consider self teaching and test on the 125 vs paying for lessons and direct access.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

stuff happens a lot quicker on a motorbike (so make those shoulder checks snappier).

That is a firm piece of advice MC.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:04 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
But as Rogers says, the law is that if the bike isn't sorned you must insure it.

Tru dat.

Don't delay, get it SORNed online today:

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

DVLA used to wait about a month before sending nastygrams then blackmail demands, but they don't have to wait at all. The moment you're registered as the keeper of a vehicle that's neither insured nor SORNed, you might as well head for the Ecuadorian embassy and see if Julian Assange will double-bunk.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt quote your whole message but thats some firm advice on the kit so i thank you. I want to get a open face helmet so I am not sure on the ability to have a Bluetooth in them.

Quote:
If you have a full or prov car licence then you should have prov 125 entitlement which is validated by the cbt certificate. No cbt cert on a L Plate bike = at the very least driving without a licence. Also any insurance policy will be void without a valid "pass" cert for the category whether that be cbt or direct access.

Im 26 so I can do DA, I know i need CBT before I can ride on the road and even once I do it ill need L plates. The DA I was going to wait until I felt comfortable on a Bike and then buy a +590cc bike (probably a Bonnie) and then take the Module one and two on it which I have checked and yes as long as I get my friend to drive it to the test center or I put it in the back of a Van I will be alright to ride that for the duration of the Modules.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Don't delay, get it SORNed online today:

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

DVLA used to wait about a month before sending nastygrams then blackmail demands, but they don't have to wait at all. The moment you're registered as the keeper of a vehicle that's neither insured nor SORNed, you might as well head for the Ecuadorian embassy and see if Julian Assange will double-bunk.

Yeah, I quick chat with my colleague today made it seem that if I dont drive it its ok, but another read on confused.com seems to say otherwise. Thank you for the heads up, does it cost money to SORN it?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:19 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

each to their own helmet style but personally speaking I couldn't have an open face helmet - even with a closed up helmet I have had occassions where flies have got through the tiny gap in the visor, the first time I was going an indicated 85 on the M6 and one went straight into my eye whilst I was wearing hard contact lenses - I had to go straight over 3 lanes to the hard shoulder and spent 15 mins stopping crying. The 2nd time was during the worst ever trip on a motorbike - returning from Macc hospital to home after a theft attempt had meant I had to hot wire the bike and hold the connections together - whilst crawling in traffic with the visor cocked slightly because of misting another fly went in eye again whilst wearing lenses - cue another sit at the side of the road for 10 mins. at the end of the same journey I had a low speed off due to the steering locking again because of the lock damage which resulted in the bike going down and me diving from it to avoid being crushed 230kg bike vs 61kg bloke - fortunately I was fully geared up and was fine - the gear sustaining grass stains only - the bike was later scrapped because of all the damage.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:

Yeah, I quick chat with my colleague today made it seem that if I dont drive it its ok

Your colleague is an idiot. Feel free to tell them that from me Very Happy

Dabuke wrote:

Thank you for the heads up, does it cost money to SORN it?

Nope.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Just taken up the motorbike Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Your colleague is an idiot. Feel free to tell them that from me Very Happy

Ahh thats quite harsh Hans! Razz

In fairness he got his Motorcycle licences well before all the laws came in, he want to the DVLA, and rode around a car park while the instructor watched him and then that was it. Full license (i believe) were talking 40 years ago.

He was also an instructor for quite a few years.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
each to their own helmet style but personally speaking I couldn't have an open face helmet - even with a closed up helmet I have had occassions where flies have got through the tiny gap in the visor, the first time I was going an indicated 85 on the M6 and one went straight into my eye whilst I was wearing hard contact lenses - I had to go straight over 3 lanes to the hard shoulder and spent 15 mins stopping crying. The 2nd time was during the worst ever trip on a motorbike - returning from Macc hospital to home after a theft attempt had meant I had to hot wire the bike and hold the connections together - whilst crawling in traffic with the visor cocked slightly because of misting another fly went in eye again whilst wearing lenses - cue another sit at the side of the road for 10 mins. at the end of the same journey I had a low speed off due to the steering locking again because of the lock damage which resulted in the bike going down and me diving from it to avoid being crushed 230kg bike vs 61kg bloke - fortunately I was fully geared up and was fine - the gear sustaining grass stains only - the bike was later scrapped because of all the damage.

Damn Stephen, thats quite a journey.

Iv had flys in the eye before at about 30mph, I know its not the same at the speed you went and I do know that you can go blind with it, but I just want the open style, maybe if I one day venture onto more sporty bikes I would go full leathers and a full helmet but at this point I see my self doing very very little motor way riding.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

where tef ?????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
where tef ?????

Pardon?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabuke wrote:
andyscooter wrote:
where tef ?????

Pardon?

will make sense soon Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
where tef ?????

Well we're a few posts in, so probably STILL writing out his reply
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2