Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DAS or doing mod1 and mod2 separately....?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:30 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: DAS or doing mod1 and mod2 separately....? Reply with quote

Afternoon all Smile just wondering what the pros and cons of doing it either way are. My theory is on Tuesday and will be looking to book test straight after.

Thanks Smile

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:56 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike would you be using? I did mod 1 and 2 on my CG125 back in the day.

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:02 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends whether I do das or book mod1 and mod 2 through the guy I've been training with so far. If I book separately l be using one of my instructors er6-n if I do das it'll be on whatever bikes they have , I haven't looked into das much yet

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still do them separately

das is just the name of the course the instructors use

direct access scheme meaning go from no licence to full rather then a2 to full

mod one and two are the tests

mod one being the playground bit and two the real road
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:16 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for reply. Yes I'm aware of still do them separately, however it would appear in getting a bit confused lol.

I can book mod1 and mod 1 through my instructor, but das is a (usually) 3/4 day course which is a bit more expensive but quicker than booking mod1 through my instructor, then booking mod2 and waiting another month or however long it takes...?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:22 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I booked my tests direct with the dvla and did them on my CG125 but then suffered the 33kw restriction for 2 years. I could be wrong in saying this but I think if you book DAS then the instructors have slots with the test centres ready so you may get through quicker. I think it will depend on which test centres you use, In Stoke I had to do the theory at the assylum and immigration centre in Hanley but Mod 1 was at Chester and Mod 2 was done at my local Newcastle-under-Lyme test centre but that centre could not do Mod 1.

I see from your other posts that you have the bike ready so maybe direct access because you really need to practise with the weight and manoeuvring of the full size bike.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that the Module one and two are the same for people going through to a full license (over 24s) and those who will end up with an A2.

So doing Module one/two through a school your best bet is to use the biggest bike possible and just get the FL as soon as possible?

Iv been looking into this quite a bit but I dont want to rock the boat with any bad advice.

Is there a time frame you have to do the Module two in once you have done one and what is your reason for doing DA over separating them?

Last edited by Dabuke on 15:32 - 01 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:32 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little confudled by the question to-be-honest...

DAS is the "Direct-Access-Scheme"... it is, no more and no less than the 'Rules' for taking tests, Mod 1 and Mod 2, on a bike larger than 125cc, that say you can.. and even have to, if you want a licence for anything bigger than a 125.

DAS Courses... are psalmist ANYTHING that a school wants to make them.. a course of training for you to be 'ready' to take tests under DAS.

They may include the tests in the course fees... tyhey do get 'block-bookings' of test apointments if they want... and its easy for the school to include the tests, they book, on your behalf, in the 'course' and make the bike you have been riding on the course available for you to do tests on... but check the small prinmt of what's in the course.. they dont HAVE to include the tests in the course, or loan you bike for them.

Self booking....... any-one can do this.... and the test fees are only something like £30 for the Theory, £15 for the Mod 1 and £75 for the Mod 1..... as said school dont have to include the tests in whatever course they offer... they can take you out and train you up, then say, "Yeahg, go book your tests... you are ready.. let us know how you get on" And NOT even help you by making a bike available for you to use on test.....

Usually more awkward to do tests self-booked, without a school involved... possible... buty awkward... you need a bike to do tests on for starters, and one that meets requirements for A2 or unrestricted 'A' catagory tests as published by DSA...... where many insurers wont give you a policy on one unless you have a licence first, and even if you get round that one, you cannot ride it on the road ahead of tests unless accompanied by card carrying qualified and approved instructor.... or on test, examiner....

Hence, usually a convenience to use a school, and school bike to get tests done... B-U-T... how you and the school arrange that between you, and who actually phones the DSA or uses DSA webby to make test apointments, is up to you to sort out..

Which is what we come down to... disembling the question; you have taken training with an instructopr, and have been using the instructors ER6.... which sounds AWFULLY like, you have done a DAS course..... just not one that includes tests or hire-bike for tests, or mother-ducks you to tests on that school bike......

And what you seem to be asking is having done a DAS training course to get up to test standard.... you self book tests and arrange bike borrow/hire and transport to and from test on it with teh chapo you have already done DAS course with...... OR go to a school that advertise all in one DAS courses, that include tests and test booking in the one-stop package?!?!?

Go back to chap you trained with!!!!!

He should know what the score is, and whether its more useful for him to call DSA and make apointments or you.... and whether you can use his bike......

But, tests are done by DSA, courses given by independent schools.... and DAS is just the rules for test, NOT a course...

Get it straight in your head and eliminate the confusion, 'cos if you is confused on this... what else you need know straight for a licence have you got muddled?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a lot here Tef which I haven't read yet but wanted to chip in on the insurance part.

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Usually more awkward to do tests self-booked, without a school involved... possible... buty awkward... you need a bike to do tests on for starters, and one that meets requirements for A2 or unrestricted 'A' catagory tests as published by DSA...... where many insurers wont give you a policy on one unless you have a licence first, and even if you get round that one, you cannot ride it on the road ahead of tests unless accompanied by card carrying qualified and approved instructor.... or on test, examiner....

You are totally right most insurances will flat out just say NO, I read a thread which directed someone in 2013 to Bennetts insurance who would insure you without a licence for a big bike, but when I called they said they stopped doing that now.

I did however find a place which gave you 90 days to get the licence.

In terms of riding the bike, yeah you would have to get it to the test center by either getting someone with a full licence to drive it down, or putting it in a van or on a trailer.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: DAS or doing mod1 and mod2 separately....? Reply with quote

The_west wrote:
Afternoon all Smile just wondering what the pros and cons of doing it either way are. My theory is on Tuesday and will be looking to book test straight after.

Ill just state what I feel the pros and cons are but Im really new to this so take it at face value.

School pros:

Instructor
Equipment
insurance
lessons
perpetration for what is in the tests
feedback
ease of access

Cons:
Cost
Cost
COST

Doing the Module one and two on your own, and on your own bike (which is what it sounds like you are wanting to do)

Pros:
Cost
Cost

Cons:
Time consuming
no lessons
organising insurance
organising transport to the DVLA
you're on your own through the whole thing
cant train on your big boy bike

(I know I have missed heaps, but considering this is the path I want to take these are the hurdles I have faced)

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:50 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps, thank you for all replies so far. I think I've worked out the problem/what I was getting confused. I thought the das was essentially like the intensive driving course, you know walk away with license in a few days, as opposed to booking mod 1 with instructor, taking another lesson then booking mod 2 with the weeks and weeks waits in between.

I'm not too fussed about doing it on my own bike I just want my license asap lol.

My instructor fees including hire of bike and training before each module is about £300 for mod1 and about £200 for mod2. Money isn't really an issue like I say I just want my license nowwwwwww lol

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:56 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the DAS option especially as "money isn't an option" and you want it now. Going with a school is certainly not a guarantee of a pass but consistant training on the same bike will give you confidence on the day which is worth more than trying to save a few quid and having the hassle of insurance, gear, getting the big bike to the centre and if you don't pass mod 2 getting it away again.

I would still practice on the CG and where possible on the big bike on private land doing the u turn and emergancy stops and figure of 8 as practice on these gives confidence which will aid the transition to the test bike.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:59 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing things now which will become second nature by the time of any test will be lifesavers both ways (don't underestimate the importance of these on the test), road position and correct speed for the limit and road conditions and obs at junctions. Do them now - every single time you will feel like a nagging parrot is in your head but come the training and test you don't want to waste your well earned cash on "do half an hour round this council estate doing obs"

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_west wrote:
My instructor fees including hire of bike and training before each module is about £300 for mod1 and about £200 for mod2. Money isn't really an issue like I say I just want my license nowwwwwww lol

yeah that was the same with me, I wanted my license SOOO bad, but that was from having no bike and no CBT, so words of wisdom from my old manager was" just do your CBT, get a 125 and enjoy summer dickhead." I spent so many months looking into how to make DA work in the cheapest and quickest way possible.

So that what iv done instead.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:25 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_west wrote:
Money isn't really an issue like I say I just want my license nowwwwwww lol

Err, yeah..... like I said, DAS is the rules for taking lic ences for larger capacity bikes, you cant ride unsupervised on your own... its NOT a course, and there's no need for that to be an 'intensive' course over a week or so, that we used to call "Crash-Courses" cos they got you a licence, pandering to your inmpatience.... so you could.. go crash in a hurry, 'cos that, the licence, the obscession of objective, was pretty much all any-one who had such an attitude would take from the lessons...

Little pause for thought; Lessons is for LEARNING, tests is for licences... do you want one or tother or both?

And hint... rushin' be quick way to hurt on two wheels....

Its said time over, but the 'real' learning dont start until you have passed tests, and if you have gone straight to a full licence via DAS with little more saddle hours than the twenty or so you might get on a week-long crash-course, you REALLY have a LOT to learn..

Even what you might have been taught on a crash course, in what is essentially an artificial envoroment of "Bike World" and awful lot of what you might have been told wont have gone in, more still wont make sense, and even more will be forgotten the moment you are out, on your own, without the voice of a guiding angel... ok bearded old duffer on another motorbike, wispering in your ear over a radio head-set.....

Seriousely; I have on lessons, many years ago actually had a middle aged chap, fired with enthusiasm, absoluitely chomping at the bit to get it DONE, and get out on the road, in 'Bike-World' on the play-ground, doing everything he was told, chivvying to get out on the road... and then, FIRST T-JUNCTION out the school gates... no longer in 'bike-world' but the familkiar comfy enviroment he was used to in his company car... get to the give way... and I actually watrched him look round and look stunned, unable to understand why the bike was toppling when he came to a halt, forgetting to stick his foot down.... 'cos on the real road, with such familiar sights as parked cars, lamp-posts and traffic signs.... instinmct took over and he did what he did 'usually'..... in the car.... and DIDN'T put his fooot down.... what was the most humerouse was he was actually reaching for an invisible hand-brake lever when he was looking over his shoulder wondering why he was toppling!

That's a humorous example, of the surreality of courses, and they only get more surreal with how intensive they are.

B-U-T it is incredibly common, and more so among long standing car drivers, who have engrained car driver habbits, and have never instilled the 'extra' required to deal with a vehicle that topples and tilts, for this sort of thing; actually better and can be something you laugh off on lesson, not so wonderful when car-driver instincts kick in on a test, and then the 'fail' ins instructors fault... but post test, licence in pocket, that radio back on the shelf.... either new rider is full of themselves thinking thats it, and with barely the savvy of an 8hour CBT newby goes out onto the roads on something with umpety more horse-power, and the kind of acceleration you dont get unless you drive a super-car... and accelerates into the back of a truck whilst doing a shoulder check or something of that sort... or they start to jibber and wonder why the chap with a clip-board gave them a licence, cos they dont know a thing, and can remember even less, bereft of the ear-piece wisdom, lkeft top their own devices.

And THAT is where the danger in crash-courses lies.... it can get you a licence, and can get you one in a hurry... B-U-T twenty hours of trundling around with a guiding voice in your hat, does little to teach you all you need know, or prepare you for the roads alone...... and the licence IS just the start, not the end.

DON'T RUSH... rushing be fast way to hurt on a motorbike..... take your time and enjoy the journey, there's no prizes for being first in the morgue!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:48 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbf I thoroughly deserved that teffing, I do agree eagerness can get you hurt. I'm sure you can understand, I have this beautiful machine that I just want to be free on lol. Yet I'm stuck on a 13 year old slightly crusty (that i do believe may be dying slightly- see thread in workshop if you can be arsed) cg125.

Which, by the way has been great. I think it's helped, the instructor I did cbt and lesson on big bike with said he wouldn't recommend getting a 125 and riding around on it as I'll only pick up bad habits. Which again, I do see his point, but I'm 30 now, not a crazy youth, I really have been practicing (tef- L is for learninggggggggg!) Making life savers second nature, road position, I've even been practicing the mod1 maneuvers. I actually think it's made me a better car driver too, I find myself doing blind spot checks I wouldn't have before lol. (Not when changing lanes on motorway and killing a biker I always did then- more like checking over shoulder not just glancing in mirror when making turns in town etc)

Ok guys, thanks for help tbh it seems I was just talking shit (happens frequently- you'll get used to it) I'll stick with instructor. He's pretty good tbf, good pass rate a few people I know have passed first time with him. He reckons I'm good to go for mod 1, wants me to do one more lesson before we book 2 and then hopefully.. Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:12 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. your thirty... if you were in such a rush to get on a big bike... why's it taken you till now?

You could have done it thirteen years back on a 125, and only had to do it once to get a licence, without DAS and sit out 2 years of 33bhp restrict, pre 3DL rules, and have been on this super-dream machine you cant wait to get on a decade ago.....

But... NOW after ten years when you could have, might have, but didn't... you can't wait one minute longer Laughing

Put it in perspective... what's a few more weeks after all this time, eh?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:20 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I found Mod 1 and Mod 2 to be easier than doing the CBT. Providing you do the lifesavers and keep the speed "as expected", the bike under control and do the manouvres on the mod 1 then you should breeze the test. On my old CG the CBT was an all dayer with a 2 hour ride out including a long stretch at 70mph which the bike couldn't manage and I had to stop for petrol lol whereas the test was 30-40 mph roads and steady riding.

I also found that my car driving improved as well because I now do shoulder checks both ways when doing manouvres which I never used to do.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
Tbh I found Mod 1 and Mod 2 to be easier than doing the CBT. Providing you do the lifesavers and keep the speed "as expected", the bike under control and do the manouvres on the mod 1 then you should breeze the test. On my old CG the CBT was an all dayer with a 2 hour ride out including a long stretch at 70mph which the bike couldn't manage and I had to stop for petrol lol whereas the test was 30-40 mph roads and steady riding.

I also found that my car driving improved as well because I now do shoulder checks both ways when doing manouvres which I never used to do.

I found Mod 1 to be easier than Mod 2. With Mod 1 you're asked to do something with a bike and if you hit a cone then you hit a cone. Whereas with Mod 2 there's more nuance involved; not to mention the practice of encouraging Position 1 (or hugging the curb in layman's terms) to turn left into a major-to-minor road despite the fact that there's several reasons why it's uncessesery and potentially dangerious. Like Tef said, the real learning happens outside the tests/lessons (before the tests on a 125 or afterwards).

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:15 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tef said, the real learning happens outside the tests/lessons [/quote]

Some people mock Tef but he is spot on most of the time and in this he is bang on. There simply is no substitute for learning after the tests and it's the real world riding when your just going along doing your think at a safe speed and thanks to anticipation and obs you spot the taxi driver is not paying attention and will put you in danger or the housewife thinking about what what colour her nails will be as she pulls out from the side road not looking because "nothing ever happens here".

My own personal preference is to ride bang in the middle of the lane - in this area that tends to give me the best grip but I will move out to the right if the lane is wide enough.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
Some people mock Tef but he is spot on most of the time and in this he is bang on.

I agree its just his words of wisdom are normally hidden within a wall-of-text Smile

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stephen_o wrote:
Some people mock Tef but he is spot on most of the time and in this he is bang on.

I agree its just his words of wisdom are normally hidden within a wall-of-text Smile

Only the unworthy seek the easy path to salvation Wink

The_west
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Yeah.. your thirty... if you were in such a rush to get on a big bike... why's it taken you till now?

You could have done it thirteen years back on a 125, and only had to do it once to get a licence, without DAS and sit out 2 years of 33bhp restrict, pre 3DL rules, and have been on this super-dream machine you cant wait to get on a decade ago.....

But... NOW after ten years when you could have, might have, but didn't... you can't wait one minute longer Laughing

Put it in perspective... what's a few more weeks after all this time, eh?

Well tbf as I've said previously, I've never really considered riding on the road, I've always had dirt bikes and my car license. It wasn't until I thought I'm going to do cbt and get a 125 for the cheap traffic busting commute that I realised man this is fun lol. And now wish I'd done it years ago. My eagerness i believe is due largely to the fact I've already bought the bike lol, have to look at it longingly in the morning as I unchain my cg from it. Also I have 3 friends with pre '95 drs, which is a coincidence seeing as the model never really did well here, to the point they stopped selling it.

You're right, a few weeks isn't going to hurt. Gives me more time to pick up bits of gear and whatever. I'd love to go for a ride with you sometime, tef

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:19 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_west wrote:
I'd love to go for a ride with you sometime, tef

In Stockholm?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:48 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow dot looks to be a bit east and south of my red one... maybe Northampton? But Stockholm sounds good.... although..... does remind me of the '99 TT and being on the same camp-site as the Nordic V-Max association.... The VF had super-trapp stove pipes on it that caused much interest at the butty-bar, and lots of norse muttering of "eetz'u'Vee!" Followed by the arrival of a transit van full of unpronounceable lager, I was forced... FORCED I tell you!! to help them drink at the club fire pit... Vikings... what can I day... hospitable... I suppose... then the Schnapps came out.... and I THINK I blacked out, not long after that....
Don't know why they insisted on sticking plastic cow-horns on thier hats though..... The ones that stayed home were't vikings! And they didn't have horns on their hats anyway! But still... good apple brandy!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2