Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do's and don'ts of touring the UK on a 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Do's and don'ts of touring the UK on a 125 Reply with quote

So I want to know what advise you would give on doing long day trips and possibly weekend trips on a 125, I could see my self going as far as Bath or even New forest and back in a single day from Essex; mostly using A roads and country lanes much like a cyclist would.

What I wanted to know was what contingency plans do people have in place when they go out.

To narrow down more what would some of the complications be on doing this on a 125? Do I need to worry about engine over heating? How would you pack spare clothes if its over night? Mechanically what do you bring to get you out of a pinch?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:39 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did SE London to Snowdonia and back over a long weekend on a YBR125.

Never again.
Its a truly miserable experience. Its slow, uncomfortable, every time you find a hill you drop to like 40mph and get cnuts in audis agressively overtaking with mm to spare or lorries right up your ass. It takes forever to get anywhere, and its even worse if youre in a group with bigger bikes playing catch-up and they all have to limp along at 55 for you to keep up.

Engine overheating? Not a concern.

Mechanically what did I bring? Nothing other than the bog standard underseat toolkit and an AA membership card.

Spare clothes? Well we were away for a weekend camping so I had soft throwover panniers fitted.

Dabuke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came back from sondonia abeit in a car. However I can see the issue with those steep hills. For flatter day trips than I assume nothing more than an AA card would do it.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only consideration would be having breakdown recovery, because a puncture 100 miles from home is shit enough as it is without having to try and work out how to get you and the bike home!

Otherwise, once up to temperature 10 miles and 1000 miles should be the same thing as far as the bike is concerned.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the net, there are all sorts of people out there who have done epic trips on 125’s , 100cc two-smokes and assorted step thru’s.

Type 125 touring into YouTube.

You have a bike, make sure all the maintenance is done and go for it.
Personally I take a couple of additional spanner’s and pliers etc, just to cover a few more situations.
Any trip I do and I mean any tour/trip I always take a fully charged phone , spare cash, and my breakdown recovery card.
If you’re doing an overnighter, then a torch will come in handy.

I alway carry toilet paper as well , you never know where the next bog might be Shocked

Octapode
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare bulbs, and a flashlight for the inevitable night time roadside bulb change, are always good to have.

Some way to clean your visor is great for "oh crap I can't see the road through the glare off all these bug guts" moments.

Tools wise, a leatherman and an adjustable spanner should cover everything worth trying to fix at the side of the road. You can throw in a tyre pressure gauge and a pump (a standard bicycle hand pump works fine for 125 tyres) if you want to, but for a one day trip unless your tyres tend to go down fast you can probably get away without worrying about it.

As everyone else has said, it sucks trying to get somewhere on a 125, but don't let that stop you. As soon as you've recovered from the ride all that misery just makes good stories.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:36 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essex to Bath must only be about 160 miles each way so assuming your bike is in working order, there shouldn't be any complications and there shouldn't be any need for contingency plans.

Do not take an adjustable spanner with you though. Laughing

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my 8.5bhp 125cc from London to North West Scotland and rode around up in the highlands for 2 weeks then rode back to London.
I sat on the motorway doing 60mph all the way for over 450 miles

I did in total around 2500 miles and it was one of the best trips i had ever done so much that i am doing it again this year instead of taking the R1 and i have been doing these journeys for the past couple of years on the big bikes and will now only do them on the 125cc
Next year im touring round Europe on the 125cc and not taking the R1 as originally planned!

So long as you accept that 125cc bike is what it is (very cheap to run and does not have a high top speed and has much slower acceleration compared to bigger bikes) then you will have much fun!

Do make sure your oil is good or fresh (I change mine every 1250 miles despite the manual stating it should be changed every 2500 miles as its only 1 litre which costs £10

Do make sure you have a good quality o/x ring chain and that it is lubed and the adjustment is correct

Do make sure you have breakdown cover and either a puncture repair kit and if your tyres are tubeless that you have puncture safe inside your tyres (this has saved me from punctures)

Basically make sure your bike is well maintained as you would with any bike

Despite what everyone says I have had the most fun times on my little 125cc for the past 3 years and before that for 11 years i was on R1's & GSXR 1000's

125cc's can be fun you just need to adjust your mentality when on them! Thumbs Up

If you do go on the motorway maintain your lane but also keep your eyes open and pay attention to whats around you and use your common sense.

heres my trip from last year: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=321042

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything Mr Woo said Thumbs Up . Except that for Mr Pepperami, insert 250, because I’m a bit of a lump and a 125 might struggle with both me and all my kit
However the mindset is the same .

Tiddler touring rocks Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:38 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go. Leave enough time. Plan your route. Don't be afraid of motorways (if you have a full licence), they are the quickest way from a to b and are designed for traffic of varying speeds. Your 125 will be faster than an HGV anyway. Consider wearing cycle shorts for extra padding.

I rode my 350 bullet down to Cirincester from Carlisle at the weekend. I have the same (or less) powewr as a 125. I did actually get overtaken by a CBR125 at one point.

Full length of the M6, most of the M5 with one stop at Keele services on the way down. A40 then A49 on the way back. Zero fucks given.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1