Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PW80 ignition problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nunk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:38 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: PW80 ignition problem Reply with quote

My 2007 Yamaha PW80 will not kick start. Checking of the electrical components reveals:
Spark plug - OK ( tested on another bike)
CDI - not checked (how to?)
Ignition Coil - Primary 0.32 ohms ( Spec 0.32-0.48); Secondary 11.9kohms (Spec 5.7-8.2);
Stator coil 165 ohms (Spec 200-300).
Obviously both the ignition coil secondary and the stator coil are out of spec. BUT, significantly so??

With the plug removed and earthed, turning over the engine (counter-clockwise) using a variable speed electric drill on the rotor nut reveals a spark just appearing at 1900rpm and progressively getting stronger up to 3900rpm (max drill speed).

Does the described behaviour point to which of the components (CDI, ignition coil, stator coil) may be at fault?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:36 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stator coil (low speed) winding failure. Replace or rewind, but just disconnect the kill wire B/W first to double check as the switch might be short

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""""With the plug removed and earthed, turning over the engine (counter-clockwise) using a variable speed electric drill on the rotor nut reveals a spark just appearing at 1900rpm and progressively getting stronger up to 3900rpm (max drill speed). """"""

Any spark when kick starting??

Nunk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:09 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Switch OK and disconnected for these tests.
2. Kicking over irregularly produces a spark such as this sequence: S,0,0,0,S,S,0,0,0,0,0,S,S,S,0,0,0,0,S,S,0,0,0,0,S (S=spark; 0=no spark). The S intensity will vary through the sequence.
If i get a continuous sequence of medium to strong sparking, I'll replace the plug back in the engine and pray. Sometimes the engine will start but more often won't.
Now if I just had another running PW80 I could swap components and hopefully find the culprit. No such luxury unfortunately so I'm trying to pin it down to the most likely component before going on a spending spree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said (Tankie). Find a way to check the Stator coil (Magneto) output and the ignition coil input.

bypass2
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a guess maybe the the woodruff key is worn/damaged

Nunk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:41 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Woodruff key is in perfect condition.
2. With all electrics hooked up, attempting kick starting results in 20-25VAC only from the stator coil. I would be expecting 50V minimum from the stator coil under attempted kick starting. Would anyone care to comment on my expectation??
I've now ordered a new stator coil and CDI. Coil is next if these replacement parts don't solve the problem.

Nunk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:33 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the new stator coil finally arrived. It checked out at 245 ohms which is mid spec. Installed it and now have strong spark and machine starts first kick. Excellent result.
However, I found that the machine didn't display any further response past half throttle. So, long story short, I removed the front panel with filter element from the air filter box and found I now had good response up to full throttle. Removed the filter element, replaced front panel and bike reverted to previous problem. Conclusion - lack of sufficient air intake and no restriction from filter element.
Drilled three half inch holes in each side of the air filter box (new incoming air stiill passes through filter element).
Now I have a much improved performing machine. I may just try a 130 main jet (125 standard currently installed) to see if it is advantageous.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:04 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check your plug colour

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:53 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check your plug colour
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1