Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Custom Bike (Where to find info?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Burnt_out
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:43 - 03 Jun 2018    Post subject: Custom Bike (Where to find info?) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and just returned to biking three years ago.

Being of a certain age (old!) I find my current ZZR600 is not quite the bike for me so I am thinking about making something in the garage which suits me better. Plenty of ideas but here is my problem.

Watching TV I see that Henry Cole extols the virtues of homebrew bikes and often shows custom builds with noisy exhausts, no front mudguards etc. I am not convinced all those bike are legal on UK roads.

So can anyone point me to some information on just what can and cannot be modified on a bike. For example I have recently been told that its no longer allowed to change the handlebars or control levers from standard! Is that true? If so then how do custom bike builders get around this issue?

I should like to take a standard road bike and change things like the headlamps and indicators for ones that can actualy be seen along with the handlbars and seat etc.

Any advice for this old biker would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading and safe riding.

Regards,

Burnt_out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:06 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Custom Bike (Where to find info?) Reply with quote

Burnt_out wrote:
shows custom builds with noisy exhausts

Might not pass an MOT, depending on the subjective opinion of the tester. Also, a cad's trick. Baffle them.

Burnt_out wrote:
no front mudguards etc.

C&U requirement.

Burnt_out wrote:
So can anyone point me to some information on just what can and cannot be modified on a bike.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

Burnt_out wrote:
For example I have recently been told that its no longer allowed to change the handlebars or control levers from standard!

Sounds dangerouse.

Burnt_out wrote:
Is that true?

No, it's a whopping great Teffer. If anyone tells you that you must / must not do something, ask them for their source.

Burnt_out wrote:
I should like to take a standard road bike and change things like the headlamps and indicators for ones that can actualy be seen along with the handlbars and seat etc.

You're fine.

Burnt_out
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:35 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rogerborg,

Just to say thanks for the reply to my posting. I followed the links you provided and found a wealth of usefull information.

I had no idea all this information was in the public domain and while some of it is in "lawyers english" is fairly clear for the most part.

It seems my modifications should be ok and when the time comes I will chat with my local MOT man and verify everything is ok.

Thanks again for the pointers,

Regards,

Burnt_out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Custom Bike (Where to find info?) Reply with quote

Burnt_out wrote:
Watching TV I see that Henry Cole extols the virtues of homebrew bikes and often shows custom builds with noisy exhausts, no front mudguards etc. I am not convinced all those bike are legal on UK roads.

They mentioned on the recent series something about producing them in small numbers, they were doing a custom thing for Norton and were basically saying it would be ok for them to sell it but not Norton.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:03 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amusingly, the MSVA regs don't specifically require[*] mudguards, although C&U does. So you could road register a vehicle that's technically illegal to use on the road. Is anyone surprised?

[*] The closest they come is to talk about "the leading edge of the front mudguard" in a section which also talks about "the windshield (where fitted)", so you might (or might) not infer that windshields are optional, but mudguards are not.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:18 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnt_out wrote:
It seems my modifications should be ok and when the time comes I will chat with my local MOT man and verify everything is ok.

Passing an MOT doesn't mean the bike is road legal.

You could be stopped by (bored) traffic police on your way home from the MOT and get done for various offences under the Construction and Use Regulations.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:07 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could, but it's not hugely likely. I ran with this for a bit and received surprisingly few beatings from the Stasi.

https://i47.tinypic.com/28asu2d.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1