Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Unrestricted A Test Mod 1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Unrestricted A Test Mod 1 Reply with quote

Just booked my A licence MOD 1, I've had an A2 licence since I was 19 (now 22) so I've done the 2 years required.

After booking the test, it said I need the following:

Arrow your UK driving licence
(If you have an old-style paper licence, you must bring it along with a valid passport)
:arrow:your theory test pass certificate
Arrowa compulsory basic training (CBT) certificate
:arrow:suitable clothing for riding your machine
Arrowa motorcycle that meets the rules to be used for the riding test

Before booking the test, it said I would not require a theory certificate if I have held my progressive licence for 2 year, do I need it or not?

Do I really need a CBT cert if I've got my A2 licence? Laughing

Cheers Thumbs Up

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Peace of mind. Reply with quote

You should be fine. I've never known issues with anyone I've taken for upgrade. However, there's no harm in going into test centre 'as you were passing' and checking with bike examiner.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the it, you have the A2 cat done.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Peace of mind. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
You should be fine. I've never known issues with anyone I've taken for upgrade.

So I should be fine with only my license card?

Need to get some bastard L plates and touch up on my drama skills 'oh yeh 100% just un-restricted it in the carpark bro'

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Test Reply with quote

Yes, making the bike 'legal' in the car park may be your bigger issue. They've never checked the bike I use for a2 and a. But, if they've never seen you or bike before, it may be different. Rent a van to drive it in?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Test Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Yes, making the bike 'legal' in the car park may be your bigger issue. They've never checked the bike I use for a2 and a. But, if they've never seen you or bike before, it may be different. Rent a van to drive it in?

I may as well go through a school if I'm going to rent a van, was hoping I could just ride it in, fiddle under the seat for a bit. It's a risk but for £15 I felt I'd chance it Laughing Alternatively I could say someone rode it in and I was pillion, and hope they don't see me ride out..

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Test Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

I may as well go through a school if I'm going to rent a van, was hoping I could just ride it in, fiddle under the seat for a bit. It's a risk but for £15 I felt I'd chance it Laughing Alternatively I could say someone rode it in and I was pillion, and hope they don't see me ride out..

Just have 4 washers in your pocket ready to show them if they ask.
I doubt they will.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Awkward Reply with quote

I see what you mean. Get a mate to pillion you in? Or someone to ride it in for you? You could then possibly get away with 2 sticky l plates for the duration too.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, think I'll go with the 'derestrict round the corner, restrict round the corner' method then Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:58 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pillion people, round the corner Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Peace of mind. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
You should be fine. I've never known issues with anyone I've taken for upgrade. However, there's no harm in going into test centre 'as you were passing' and checking with bike examiner.

You can do that? In my experience civil-servant buildings don't enjoy being chatty with walk-ins or direct phone numbers, especially if it's an inner-city area.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Test centres. Reply with quote

There are probably some that may get funny if you turn up at the busiest point of their day, but, a 2 min conversation that could save an issue on test day is worth a go. Most (almost all) of the examiners I've met are more than helpful.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:15 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it's been 2 years since you passed your A2 you will have neither a valid CBT or theory test certificate. The licence card is all you'll need.

If they get shirty write "CBT/Theory Test certificate" on a bit of bog roll, it'll mean as much.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need: L Plates, Hi-Viz vest (maybe), your license (with A2 clearly shown on the front and rear) and a bike that meets the requirements as per whatever link its shown on (providing your bikes not on the list of "wont accept for test").

Ignore everything any email tells you because, given that I'm in the same boat, when I turned up for my Module one the training school guy was confused as to what I'd need and even the examiner at the test centre had to use the chart on the wall to ensure what I'd got concurred with what they'd got on their flow chart. The chap I had my Module one is respected by the local school, and I got along fine with him, but even those in jobs directly related to this license system don't really understand the progressive bit entirely.

Out of the two modules I'd go for Module One on your own bike if you're overly bothered about proving restrictions. I got asked "Are you using a training school?" for my Module One and answered "Yes" but canne be sure what questions would have followed afterwards. The form you sign simply states that the bike you have is covered by an insurance policy; possibly for tests but who even checks.

I booked a second attempt at Module Two through the training school simply because despite it being just under a month -- from my last and first attempt -- it was sooner than slots through the test centre themselves so be prepared for that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:38 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Hi-Viz vest (maybe)

Only while under training, not while on test. However, they'll be so used to seeing them that I'd wear one anyway.

Fair point about booking, the training schools block book loads of tests. However, Mod 2 tests are more likely to come up at short notice as cancellations. I passed my Mod 1 then managed to get a Mod 2 booked for the next morning. That was in Winter, mind.

Other than that, great to hear that you sort-of DIY'd it.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of the two modules I'd go for Module One on your own bike if you're overly bothered about proving restrictions. I got asked "Are you using a training school?" for my Module One and answered "Yes" but canne be sure what questions would have followed afterwards. The form you sign simply states that the bike you have is covered by an insurance policy; possibly for tests but who even checks.

I think this is what I'll do, I don't really know this area too well so would like some practice on the actual test routes before taking the MOD 2 Thumbs Up

I'll wear a high viz and bungee cord a clip board to my back for extra safeties Very Happy I'll update with the verdict.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:31 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the clipboard will need a pen securely attached...

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:08 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the Mod 1 btw. I found it a right PITA!

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
good luck with the Mod 1 btw. I found it a right PITA!

Aye I failed the A2 MOD 1 first time round, but that was because the bike (MT03) had a ridiculous back brake that locked up if you breathed on it. The fazer's back brake is shit so that shouldn't be an issue Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:41 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's tipping it down with rain or the tears of the woman who's just failed it, I wouldn't even be breathing on the rear brake during mod 1.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Unless it's tipping it down with rain, I wouldn't even be breathing on the rear brake during mod 1.

Even for the slow speed stuff? I used to only use my rear brake and still do when coming to slow stops sometimes, bad habbit from my 125 days.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:48 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant for the e-stop. If you're locking the rear elsewhere, see the other update that I just added.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing its not just CBT -> A2/DAS anymore then? Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I'm guessing its not just CBT -> A2/DAS anymore then? Thinking

CBT > A1 (125) or A2 (47hp) or A (anything and everything).

One test on the road on a purpose built test pad (Module one) and one on the road for about 30-40 minutes (Module two); to obtain each category you undergo the same test.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a full licence (pink one) for a motorcycle then you do not need the CBT.

If you have held the full A2 licence for more than 2 years then you do not need a valid theory test.

If you are upgrading via the age restriction then you do need a valid theory. My other half is 23 now, she done her A2 a few weeks ago, next year she is doing her full A and as she will not have held her A2 licence for a full 2 years before upgrading she will need a valid theory test.

As you have held your A2 for more than 2 years, you only need to turn up with your pink licence for mod 1. Then for mot 2 you need the licence and the mod 1 pass cert.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2