Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Cooling the home' question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:31 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: 'Cooling the home' question Reply with quote

More specifically, probably just the bedroom.

In short, I want to cool the bedroom on those very hot nights that are coming for many reasons.

The options I appear to have are...

Decent Tower Fan - Ala Dyson bladeless type affair

Evaporative cooler - (thing you put water and even ice packs in)

Portable Air conditioning unit - this adds complications as i would need to vent out of a window or even bore a hole in the wall for the vents and put a fitting kit on.

Does anyone have any specific experience?

Noise is an issue, I don't want to get a cheap noisy fan - and I would want it to be 'safe'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack a windy? Stick a leg out? works for me Thumbs Up

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:43 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find punching my partner in the tits gets things nice and frosty in the bedroom Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying a portable AC unit to keep the dog cool. A cheap £9 desk fan is enough for the bedroom.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a portable AC unit.

Does the job but noisy and you have to stick the vent pipe out of the window (inconvenient when the openers are high up).

A split type AC would be better but then may be noisy for the neighbours.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurgh. The feels.

I've been roasting in bed since about the end of March. Doesn't help the missus makes us keep the Tog 50 quilt year round.

Probs will need a fan at some point, but I've been told you can't have a fan in the room when a baby is sleeping ... draughts or something? I'll be in the shed soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:00 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Probs will need a fan at some point, but I've been told you can't have a fan in the room when a baby is sleeping ... draughts or something? I'll be in the shed soon

2nd bedroom? 2 massive fans and a thin blanket.

Yes.

redwarfie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Dyson fan. We got one a couple of years ago and it's really good, seems to actually cool the air rather than just push around hot!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:05 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Doesn't help the missus makes us keep the Tog 50 quilt year round.

That territorial dispute requires a Two Duvet Solution.

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Probs will need a fan at some point, but I've been told you can't have a fan in the room when a baby is sleeping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A floor standing fan with swing function, timer and remote control is all you need.
I've got three in the house, all cheap as chips, didn't pay more than 20 Euros each, they're still working after 7 years!

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
DrSnoosnoo wrote:
Probs will need a fan at some point, but I've been told you can't have a fan in the room when a baby is sleeping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Now I feel silly. I'm gonna find out where the missus heard this "no fans" malarkey.

As for the final two duvet solution, she'd still find a way to grab hold of it and steal the lot in the middle of the night.

Paddy wrote:
2nd bedroom? 2 massive fans and a thin blanket.

Imagine ..... Drooling

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:37 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a air con unit with the vent pipe going into a custom made plate which clips to the air vent in my door. Effective but extremely noisy.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

Now I feel silly. I'm gonna find out where the missus heard this "no fans" malarkey.

Probably off the internet. Same forums that tell you that vaccines are full of toxic heavy metals and that essential oils are an effective cancer medicine.

In actual fact, what research there has been suggests that having a fan in a baby's room is a good thing.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/cot-death-risk-and-fan-use/

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a fan first, even a fan heater on cold makes a big difference and costs far less to run than aircon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a ceiling fan directly above the bed, and use two single duvets instead of one large one. Much happiness.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Dyson products are made of cheap plastic mouldings I won't buy one, no matter how quiet they are.

Thing is that A/C probably costs more to run and is just as noisy as a fan in many cases. I got a 14'' simple floor standing fan and just take it into one room at a time for an hour and it does cool after a while.

I reckon you'd be best going to Machine Mart and getting a big 24" floor standing fan. On slow speed that'd move alot of air and probably won't be any noisier than a smaller crap desk fan.

Can always stick it in the shed in winter, and if you ever wanted to buy a rolling road for your garage it'd be a decent cooling fan too! Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those evaporative coolers are fantastic for growing mould on your wallpaper. If you find that a desirable feature then get one and run it all day.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
We have a ceiling fan directly above the bed.

https://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Barbara-Palvin-Sexy-Wink-Gif.gif

https://i.gifer.com/DhV.gif

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:01 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
two single duvets instead of one large one

This needs taught in schools. The divorce rate would plummet.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a portable unit from a German company in april this year. Very good service and prices.
I'll look for the details.
All a/c units must be vented to outside to push the hot air out the room. The portable units use a hose like a tumble drier which connects to a net that covers an open window.
Mine cools the living room in about 20mins. IR remote control and programmable timer.

Edit

https://uk.trotec.com/products/machinery-homecomfort/air-conditioning/comfort-air-conditioners-of-the-pac-series/pac3500e/

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:37 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Those evaporative coolers are fantastic for growing mould on your wallpaper. If you find that a desirable feature then get one and run it all day.

I suspected this, I don’t have wallpaper and I have gone to the trouble of painting the entire property inside in mouldsheild paint because we used to have a mould issue due to condensation.

My property is a first floor purpose built flat - fitting a outside air con split system is just not going to happen, should it have been a house that I owned the freehold then I would probably have one of these fitted.

My windows open inwards like...

https://wardgroup.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Tilt_Turn1.jpg

Except they are much bigger than pictured example.

Main reason for looking at cooling options is that I have now a 2 week old daughter and summer is coming...

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the loft hatch.

Seriously. Try it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:06 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Open the loft hatch.

Seriously. Try it.

It'll literally rip the tiles off the roof...

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:18 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Open the loft hatch.

Seriously. Try it.

No can do, although I’m in a first floor flat I do have a loft space and hatch however it’s in the middle corridor between all the bedrooms and I had a very large hatch put in on hinges that hangs very low. This was installed to get push bikes up into the loft.

The options I have are as above - tempted to just buy a dyson AM07 fan for just under £300 as it seems the most sensible option currently. Quiet and powerful.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:22 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Fisty wrote:
Open the loft hatch.

Seriously. Try it.

No can do, although I’m in a first floor flat I do have a loft space and hatch however it’s in the middle corridor between all the bedrooms and I had a very large hatch put in on hinges that hangs very low.

You could tie it up so that it's open enough to let a draught through but not so low you catch your bollocks on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2