Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Cooling the home' question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, mine just sits in its recess so can be removed completely. It's been out for about a week now. I had a new
roof put on the house a few years ago so I have modern non-bituminous roof felt, the loft space is pretty clean now.
Full to bursting with junk but clean, my boiler is up there now as well. I plan to add a second hatch with a built in ladder
in the pretty near future.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:55 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for opening the loft hatch. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:58 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the kids on the top floor.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:26 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a split air con system in the bedroom a few years back. Outside unit whisper quiet. All DIY with gas pre installed. Warms the bedroom in winter cheaper than a heater/central heating.

Leave it on for a few hours and bedroom is like walking into a meat fridge - bloody freezing Laughing

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:42 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the main suggestion was something I cannot do I thought ‘bollocks’ and bought the dyson am07.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rockhopper
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:21 - 15 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also got a split ac system in the bedroom. It’s an inverter unit so the outside bit is very quiet. Love it to bits!

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:32 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running several powerful computers in the height of summer tends to make my bedroom stupidly hot. my advice would be to get a high velocity fan(the big shiny ones) for around £40. they work great and can run 24/7 without fault but they are very noisy. You do get used to it as its just whitenoise but the other ioptio is to place it on your windowsill nd run it on full with the door open to drag as much fresh, cool air into the room as possible to cool it down before you sleep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:39 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a portable AC unit, mine is ~10 years old and loud and rattly, however it is 100x better than it being hot.

I just stick the the pipe out of the widow and wedge it in. My original pipe was plastic and eventually split. I replaced it with a Metal one, however this was a mistake as It radiator the heat back into the room moreso than the plastic one.

I am considering an upgrade as this one really does make a lot of noise. However after 10 years, it is still going strong.

It cools exceptionally well, it can easily drop the temperature by ~8-10 degrees and that is with the outlet wedged in the window and the crappy metal exhaust.

We sleep with it on but only with earplugs. Often I'll turn it off in the night as it is too cold. I always set it on the lowest setting because having it set at say 20, will mean when it gets to 20 the compressor will stop then when it gets warmer the compressor kicks in which is fairly loud and can wake us up so it is better just to have it on full power all the time.

As for cost judging by the smart meter I reckon it costs us an average of £1 a night if it is on all night, more of the time it is on till about 2am so costs much less.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I have a portable AC unit, mine is ~10 years old and loud and rattly, however it is 100x better than it being hot.

I just stick the the pipe out of the widow and wedge it in. My original pipe was plastic and eventually split. I replaced it with a Metal one, however this was a mistake as It radiator the heat back into the room moreso than the plastic one.

I am considering an upgrade as this one really does make a lot of noise. However after 10 years, it is still going strong.

It cools exceptionally well, it can easily drop the temperature by ~8-10 degrees and that is with the outlet wedged in the window and the crappy metal exhaust.

We sleep with it on but only with earplugs. Often I'll turn it off in the night as it is too cold. I always set it on the lowest setting because having it set at say 20, will mean when it gets to 20 the compressor will stop then when it gets warmer the compressor kicks in which is fairly loud and can wake us up so it is better just to have it on full power all the time.

As for cost judging by the smart meter I reckon it costs us an average of £1 a night if it is on all night, more of the time it is on till about 2am so costs much less.

I bought a Trotec portable a/c and the recommended 'Window sealing kit' from them.

I stuck the flex hose out the window to try it when the unit arrived. It cooled the room by about 3-4 degrees within 30 mins. The unit has an auto setting so blasts cold air out until the room cools then it cuts the power to a whisper.

https://de.trotec.com/en/products/machinery-homecomfort/general-accessories/window-sealing/airlock-100/

I stuck the sealing kit to a window next day and ran the unit again. It cooled the room much quicker.
The theory is that the warm moist air removed from the room by the unit can be drawn back into the room and has to be extracted again which affects efficiency and cost per hour.

I like my portable unit. It cost £330 for the unit and kit.

I did consider a split unit. But in UK (Glasgow) I think it's not really justifiable. And a bit extravagant as I'm not here most of the time.
The portability of the unit let's my use it in the garage too. Which is Cool. Cool

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I did consider a split unit. But in UK (Glasgow) I think it's not really justifiable. And a bit extravagant as I'm not here most of the time.

Some act as a heat pump too (very cost effective at heating too) - would've been worth its weight in gold!

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Open the loft hatch.

Seriously. Try it.

Bungalow for me, works a treat, get some air flowing and its spot on.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so bad on my boat I had the portable AC unit going in the living room and 10m of plastic flexible ducting taped to the cold air outlet going straight to my bed.

https://i.imgur.com/hRp8e0n.jpg

There is no going back now.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
It was so bad on my boat I had the portable AC unit going in the living room and 10m of plastic flexible ducting taped to the cold air outlet going straight to my bed.

https://i.imgur.com/hRp8e0n.jpg

There is no going back now.

I remember that film. It was about a giant Anaconda that attacked a boat.

Pale
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 235 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2