Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Summer 2018 - Which trackdays are you doing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Summer 2018 - Which trackdays are you doing? Reply with quote

I had a quick glance, but now I'm an unemployed bum I've become very lazy. I thought there was a 2018 trackday thread but I can't seem to spot it.

So, I'll start.

2nd and 3rd of July Cadwell Park

I'll be booking more soon but I need to be a bit careful with money right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

none .. would rather ride round ... well anywhere ... other than chase my tail on a track.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
none .. would rather ride round ... well anywhere ... other than chase my tail on a track.

Rolling Eyes bet you’re a right laugh in the pub.

Anyway just the Cadwell CBT weekender 16-17 June upto now. Had planned on doing more but work commitments, a broken track bike until recently and also needing to save for the IOM in August sort of buggered stuff up. Might do another Cadwell in September if I’m still financially solvent.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:54 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm doing my 1st track day at Donny 14th June. getting a tad excited now. Any tips???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
i'm doing my 1st track day at Donny 14th June. getting a tad excited now. Any tips???

Donnington isn’t too bad as a beginner circuit, certainly less daunting than Cadwell or Oulton. Just ease into it, don’t try to be fast from the off, get the details right (lines, gear choice etc) then think about building pace. Common thing at Donnington is getting sucked in at Mcleans, it’s not the worlds tightest bend but folk build speed up the hill and either forget to get the bike back over to the left or turn in too late and run out of tarmac on the exit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:30 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

One wonders why you even bother with the racing and trackday forum then? Question Honestly, it's pretty much the best fun you can have with your clothes on. It's that good. I defy you to do a couple of sessions at Cadwell Park and then not become addicted. The road becomes somewhat boring in comparison.

To Aceslock

There are loads of threads on here about what to do on your first trackday but I'd say the important things are as follows:

Arrow Make sure your bike is in good nick, you have decent tyres and loads of meat on your brake pads. Ensure the fork seals aren't leaking and the chain is lubed etc.

Arrow Make sure you eat healthily beforehand and stay hydrated throughout the day

Arrow Follow the instructors and try to see their lines. If there are cones out, use them for apexes and entry points

Arrow If you can get some free 1-to-1 instruction (available at all the trackdays I've ever been on) try to make use of it.

Arrow Relax and have fun!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Rolling Eyes bet you’re a right laugh in the pub.

i am .. when i`m organising riding events... Rolling Eyes

MarJay wrote:

Honestly, it's pretty much the best fun you can have with your clothes on. It's that good. I defy you to do a couple of sessions at Cadwell Park and then not become addicted. The road becomes somewhat boring in comparison.!

nope ... never been bored on the road .. but have been round a race track ..round & round in circles ... . and that was boring..

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:57 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
nope ... never been bored on the road .. but have been round a race track ..round & round in circles ... . and that was boring..

Translation: "I was slow and scared, and I like riding to IAM standards on the road. I get my jollies with rigid adherence to rules rather than riding quickly."

Again, one wonders why you're bothering with the Racing and Trackdays forum.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Horses for courses. I like riding fast and improving my skills, the road isn't the venue for such things. I think touring and riding on the road is a joyless experience on a par with car driving only even shitter.

Shall I go post in the touring and exploration thread that you are all a load of slow boring twats who can't ride?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:39 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Shall I go post in the touring and exploration thread that you are all a load of slow boring twats who can't ride?

Yes.

But I agree, its the best way to increase your fast riding skills. Clearly he has no desire to increase his skills, just dons the Sam Browne + hi viz and holds up cars.

I haven't contemplated any track days, but I'd be tempted by Brands on the GSXR.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

if it brightens your day ... but it wont dull ours..

Paddy. wrote:

But I agree, its the best way to increase your fast riding skills.

track skills ... techniques that will get you killed on the road...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:42 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
if it brightens your day ... but it wont dull ours..

I genuinely feel sorry for you if you don't enjoy trackdays. It's akin to not enjoying sex IMO.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

It's akin to not enjoying sex IMO.

that would depend on what sort of sex you enjoy ...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:15 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Which skill? What I do on track doesn't directly relate to the road. I know how to handle my bike at both 30mph and 130mph, this refines both of those, unsure what your point is? If you don't ride a little bit quick on the roads, why do you have a bike Neutral

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

Nope they won't. I mean nope they REALLY won't.

If you don't find value in knowing how hard you can brake safely and learning the instinct of how much grip there is before you even turn in then you must be a slow road rider.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous argument.
MarJay, whatever track days you get to do this year, have fun!
Copycat, whatever touring you get to do this year, have fun!
I'll be jealous of both of you Sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

that would depend on what sort of sex you enjoy ...

So are you Asexual or a Virgin? Come on, we've milked you for some lulz already, why stop now Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:45 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Ridiculous argument.
MarJay, whatever track days you get to do this year, have fun!
Copycat, whatever touring you get to do this year, have fun!
I'll be jealous of both of you Sad

Agreed, although I do enjoy a spot of touring here and there. I don't make a song and dance about it, and even though I do enjoy it, I'd rather be at Cadwell.

However, the ridiculousness of posting in the RACING AND TRACKDAYS forum about how pointless trackdays are, seems to be lost on our friend here.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Snetterton 300 Monday, open pit lane. Even had Ellison and Dixon on track with us for a bit... Shocked

125 miles there, then 125 miles back though.. Knackered doesn't even cover it. Sleeping

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

To Aceslock

There are loads of threads on here about what to do on your first trackday but I'd say the important things are as follows:

Arrow Make sure your bike is in good nick, you have decent tyres and loads of meat on your brake pads. Ensure the fork seals aren't leaking and the chain is lubed etc.

Arrow Make sure you eat healthily beforehand and stay hydrated throughout the day

Arrow Follow the instructors and try to see their lines. If there are cones out, use them for apexes and entry points

Arrow If you can get some free 1-to-1 instruction (available at all the trackdays I've ever been on) try to make use of it.

Arrow Relax and have fun!

Cheers, will take heed of the advice, although i am using a hire bike, so hopefully all the things in point 1 should be taken care of Thumbs Up

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

If you don't find value in knowing how hard you can brake safely and learning the instinct of how much grip there is before you even turn in then you must be a slow road rider.

well there you have it ... charging into a bend and braking at the last minute ... death on the road...

brakes are held in reserve and a bike is set up to go round the corner on the throttle

GT200Fan79 wrote:

So are you Asexual or a Virgin? Come on, we've milked you for some lulz already, why stop now Laughing

oh dear you don`t like the argument ... so tries to change the subject ...

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:42 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brands GP on July 3rd. I've been a spectator at Brands as long as I can remember so I cannot wait to finally steam down into Hawthorn, especially after a breakdown forced me to miss a booked day in 2016.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:33 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
well there you have it ... charging into a bend and braking at the last minute ... death on the road...

brakes are held in reserve and a bike is set up to go round the corner on the throttle

And that, sir, is why you're crap on track and hate it. You don't even understand the theory behind it. Plus, It's always better to have something and not need it, than need something and not have it. I am most definitely a better road rider through having done trackdays. There are other things I've learned for the road but I have certainly transferred skills from trackday to road.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:49 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

oh dear you don`t like the argument ... so tries to change the subject ...

Which aspects of road riding do you enjoy?

I enjoy the challenge of pushing the limits of myself and the bike on track.

And yes - the track rider that's experienced with late braking and braking while leant over I would say is much more likely to be able to cope in unexpected situations where sudden action is needed mid-corner, than the rider that always practices not doing that.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:33 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
Brands GP on July 3rd. I've been a spectator at Brands as long as I can remember so I cannot wait to finally steam down into Hawthorn, especially after a breakdown forced me to miss a booked day in 2016.

What you in, novice or inters?

Never done the GP.... unsure if the straight bits are any good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2