Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where do you store your bike chain and/or disc locks?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Where do you store your bike chain and/or disc locks? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am sure this has been discussed before but bearing in mind the shit storm of theft in London over the past year I assume maybe some of us are a bit more careful these days when it comes to securing our bikes.

The obvious problem with carrying extra security devices is weight. Previously I was quite blasé about security and parked my bike near my office in a manned underground parking lot with cctv and used just a disc lock.

These days I am lugging a 16mm Almax chain and Squire lock in a Kriega tail pack on the pillion seat. I have wondered if a top box would be a better approach as there is likely to be less faffing about. Or is lugging around a 16mm chain an OTT reaction to what one reads about bike theft these days?

Just curious to know if you use a top box or tail pack or your backpack to store your chains and locks Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

no such thing as an OTT reaction to secure your bike.
lock it or loose it as theifs will always be about in our society especially in cities like London.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:14 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not leave it at work and attach there?

I've got a 16mm and a 19mm now holding my bike to the floor with 2x30W LED floodlights and 2 CCTV cameras both on different power supplies and 2 different networks watching my bike, no its probably not overkill to carry that, however I'd be looking at 1m max and just locking the wheel to a pole or even just looping through the wheel. 1.5m 19mm is heavy as shit. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:19 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike?

16mm Almax isn't overkill.

Killing all bike thieves isn't overkill.

Mr. Green

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I've got a 16mm and a 19mm now holding my bike to the floor with 2x30W LED floodlights and 2 CCTV cameras both on different power supplies and 2 different networks watching my bike, no its probably not overkill to carry that, however I'd be looking at 1m max and just locking the wheel to a pole or even just looping through the wheel. 1.5m 19mm is heavy as shit. Laughing

Now this is properly securing one's pride and joy Laughing

It is a parking lot near the office and I have seen other people leave chains there but I can't help think that some scumbag might take his time "weakening" the chain somehow in the night and then easily steal the bike during the day when I think it is secure.

Last edited by inline4 on 12:34 - 06 Jun 2018; edited 1 time in total

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Killing all bike thieves isn't overkill.

Agree 100% Laughing

The bike is a gsxr1000.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
The bike is a gsxr1000.

You're going to need some kind of military presence.

borked
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:

It is a parking lot near the office and I have seen other people leave chains there but I can't help think that some scumbag might take his time "weakening" the chain somehow in the night and then easily steal the bike during the day when I think it is secure.

Filling the lock with super glue is a common one for locks left overnight. Once you arrive and can't lock the bike up a lot of people will just leave it and head in to work.

I used to work for one of the biggest hosptials in the midlands and know of this happening several times to other staff.

Like anything, it's a gamble.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:13 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR1000 in Londonistan?

Bad news I'm afraid, your bike was stolen about half an hour ago. Crying or Very sad

The best security is to park next to a more desirable bike that's got less security than you.

Do bikelife bother with supergluing chains that are left overnight? In the time it would take them to do that, they could just as easily bikejack someone at the nearest set of traffic lights.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:15 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Store, or carry? To store, is to find home for something when not in use. Lock and chain are normally 'in-use' tying bike to ground anchor, hence no need to store, except when bike is moving... then its a case of carrying, on the bike. In which case its in the throw-overs; to keep CofG low and stop it shifting about too much.

Used to use a top-box, and the base is all scored and dented to heck from having the chain rattling around in it, despite being packed with wet-weathers and even tied to the hold-down strap. Plus, weight is high, and behind back wheel axle, does little to help 'balence'.

End of the day though.... I tend not to 'carry' the hefty chain about very often.. that stays home on the ground-anchor.

Bike doesn't get used for commuting, so isn't left unattended for long periods in the same parking space, day after day, to be spotted and ear-marked by scroat... which is 2nd most likely theft scenario... first is from home, where it likely spends most hours, and tea-leaf can pick and choose time to take,to take thier time.

Out and about... an Almax is rather unweildy and a bit of over-kill to detur the oportunist outside ASDA. A Disc-Lock migh give one pause for thought, but wont hamper man-with-a-van for many moments, so for portability I tend to use a disc-lock.. something a tad more substantial than the monkey-metal things off e-bay, BTW, with a 10mm cable round a convenient lamp-post or railing etc, latched by the Discie as padlock.

Not exactly high security, but bikes old and uncommon, and not exactly at the top of the most-wanted list in the breakers cos of the price of its plastics...

But oportunist isn't going to wheel it away or lift in the back of van too quick... And if some-one turns up tooled up to cut cable or lock, with bolt-croppers or CO2 angry grinder... then the few extra seconds it would take them to get through a case hardened chain... when they would, probably be savvy enough not to bother, and attack the council railings instead... wont make all that much odds to the matter.... especially if they have all day in a secluded car-park, and can pretend to be legit workman looking at the lighting, if any-one comes along.... let alone dares challenge them....

Gixxer, for commuting? To be left unattended day-in-day-out, in public view, for hours at a time?

PERSONALLY, given the cost of squared off tyres and oil changes, and cramp in the wrists....trying to use such a device in such tortiouse manner, A-N-D suffer the neurosis of whether it would still be where I left it and knock-off time.... I would be thinking along the lines of a beaten up old ER5 or something, with a small top-box for mi-sarnies.... paid for probably by taking "+Commuting" off the Gixxer insurance policy, plus the savings on squared off rubber, and stretched chains and hooked sprockets, and a £20 note tucked in the back of the AA card to call for a taxi IF the thing got nicked.... Not have the paranoia of wondering whether it would still be there, and a lot less risk it wouldn't....

...or the sore writs, or the fun-blunting of coming to take it out at the week-end 'for fun' and have to spend half the morning catching up on maintenance, and then be holding back on bends cos of the 'funny-handling' caused by corners on the rubber, or the slop in the gear-change from a slack elastic chain, and however many thousand miles of up and down the box thrashing twixt traffic lights taking the 'shine' off the 'performance' that sort of bike is supposed to all be about....

Might even make me wonder just what I kept the thing around for at all, when it was sat out-side, not doing much, costing tax, costing insurance, and only getting taken out when the sun-shone, and time allowed.... and for the 'fun' of tearing around in circles not actually going anywhere pretending to be a racer... how much I might save cancelling the tax and insurance altogether, swapping factory plastics for cheapo Chinky after-market affairs, not having to have an MOT and doing a few track-days each year... where, for the price of even MY old-duffer insurance, I could get as many hours sadle time and as many miles of unadulterated full on 'fun', not having to worry about SMIDSY or GATSO, and a sheet of official lap-times to prove how 'slow' I went, rather than, well, what, tear-arseing around on the road?

But that's my sort of thinking on the topic....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
CO2 angry grinder

???

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
CO2 angry grinder

???

It goes GGRGRRRRRRRRRRRR when you try to grind stuff.

My GSXR1000 was attempted theft from my garage outside of London, sending thoughts and prayers for inside London.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

My 19mm Almax got stolen like this. Was fine being left there for over 6 month. Next thing you know I went to park up and it wasn't there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV650SKid wrote:
My 19mm Almax got stolen like this. Was fine being left there for over 6 month. Next thing you know I went to park up and it wasn't there.

So if your bike had been attached that could have gone as well then?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "faffing" that you're interested in reducing is part of the parcel of commuting and I'd argue that if you're commuting into, and out of, London on a constant basis then the set up you have is probably the most ideal given the mileage -- that is depending on how far outside you live -- that people who commute into London seem to do.

Kreiga's top dog in terms of price and well reviewed for waterproofness although I'm still on oxford (luggage); even if it cost just under what a Kriega would have (better functionality). A top box may be easier, given its left on the bike, but providing your Kriega, and the weight of chains, isn't upsetting the balance of the bike in the corners and stopping and starting too muchthen I wouldn't spent anything more; unless you've got more bits to carry from time to time.

16 mm is probably the highest you'd want to carry around just because when you get one that's two meters long -- the ideal length for street use -- it starts to weight the same as a baby rhino.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
The "faffing" that you're interested in reducing is part of the parcel of commuting

Yes I suppose you're right. The faffing about with locks is the cost one pays in the hope that one's bike isn't stolen.

The thing is that I used to commute on my Bandit which is a plain vanilla commuter which nobody would be bothered with and didn't take into account the desirability a GSXR would have to thieves even though it is just another Suzuki Rolling Eyes

And yes I have a 19mm chain at home to lock the bike to a ground anchor and each time is I lock the bike or remove the chain it is a small workout session! Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:36 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that you can even get insurance for a GSX-R1000 in the Sarf East.

At some point, insurers are going to be more interested in where bikes are left during the day than at night.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old skool, under the seat.
Oxford Monster 1.2 meter with padlock will fold into the space under the seat, especially since the alarm died and was removed. I know if "they" want it they'll take it, but this will deter the casual chancer.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:56 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
CO2 angry grinder

???

Seldom used to cut an 'angle' for welding, far more often used 'cos rusty effin cheappo, chit stuiffin bolt has rounded or crappy bastid bludy bit of metal something is bolted through bends and twists rather than reacts undoing torque, until in pique, angry grinder reached for, 'cos angry!!!!

CO2 used to be preffered as denser than air, so more portable power could be carries running one off a sparklets bulb or 2lb reservoir filled with welding gas, than any lith-ion rechargeable electric, in the absence of a van.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
CO2 used to be preffered as denser than air, so more portable power could be carries running one off a sparklets bulb or 2lb reservoir filled with welding gas, than any lith-ion rechargeable electric, in the absence of a van.

Never heard of one and neither has google, sure you didn't imagine it?

They had Ni-cd Angle Grinders before they had Li-ion ones, they worked very well.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:46 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
SV650SKid wrote:

So if your bike had been attached that could have gone as well then?

Correct. The chain was left unattended and there's usually builders around it during the day, which makes me think that it was taken during the night on one of the 4 days that I didn't attend to the chain. Unless one of the builders has been eyeing up my bike... Either way it's now parked elsewhere.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:52 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Old skool, under the seat.
Oxford Monster 1.2 meter with padlock will fold into the space under the seat, especially since the alarm died and was removed. I know if "they" want it they'll take it, but this will deter the casual chancer.

Best of luck getting an actual chain under the seat and not a stick of butter-esque deterrent.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:07 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford chain. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford chain!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out and about alarmed disc locks under the seat + tracker + alarm

At home it's the above in addition to chain and ground anchor
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2