Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Giving out a reg number im I being paranoid?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:40 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Giving out a reg number im I being paranoid? Reply with quote

My bikes for sale on ebay and a buyer wants some information, including the reg number to do some checks.They havent been to view and are 0 rated ebay feedback.
I was going to reply apart from the reg or am I being worried over nothing ?
Cheers

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're being worried over nothing.

I will want to see a reg number before I even contemplate buying a used bike, especially if they are over 3yrs old. With it you can view the VOSA MOT history, along with the mileages at those annual checks to see if it matches up with the sellers story.

You can also check the write off status of the bike etc.

What they can do with it to harm you isn't my speciality. But what's the difference to somebody walking past it and writing down your reg?

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone wants to commit crime using your reg number then I doubt they'd ask for it through eBay. they'll just scan eBay autotrader mcn etc for plates they can use.

don't worry Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:45 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're putting off potential buyers by not simply showing it in the advert. I'd assume by default that you're trying to hide something.

Nobody with the wit that Tef was born with is going to go near a vehicle these days without checkout out its MOT / write-off history.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, you can view MOT history, which gives somewhat of an overview as to how it's been treated, and lets me decide if I want to go look at the bike.

If it's got a fail followed closely by a pass a few days later, more than the odd time, you can assume it's neglected and likely to have problems.

There's easier ways to get plates to clone, giving it out via PM is fine.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:09 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reg Reply with quote

Thanks
Added the reg number now ,thought i was being worried over nothing

Annoyingly the advert hadnt posted with the telephone numbers for some reason so that a week with no contact details apart from email !
Cheers

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Reg Reply with quote

MATTT wrote:
Thanks
Added the reg number now ,thought i was being worried over nothing

Annoyingly the advert hadnt posted with the telephone numbers for some reason so that a week with no contact details apart from email !
Cheers

Ebay don't like phone numbers until you have hit 'buy' in case they lose their commission when you do a cash deal.

How you are meant to go have a look before purchasing without jumping through hoops with pictures of numbers etc. I have no idea.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a classiified ad,cant be doing with bidders and no shows ,your allowed to post phone numbers on the advert

Apparently you can message with a telephone number that they dont have on record with your account and it wont flag up on the system and block the email

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATTT wrote:
Mines a classiified ad,cant be doing with bidders and no shows ,your allowed to post phone numbers on the advert

Apparently you can message with a telephone number that they dont have on record with your account and it wont flag up on the system and block the email

Interesting - Will try that next time I need to sell something a bit pricey by auction.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1