Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Givi 'Tanklock' tankbag confusion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Givi 'Tanklock' tankbag confusion Reply with quote

Having just acquired a second bike (see my sig Dance!) I have also splashed out on a Givi tanklock adapter for it, in order to be able to use my existing Givi tankbag interchangeably on both bikes.

However, the new adapter kit only contains a horseshoe-shaped lump of steel, and I'd evidently need to cannibalise the plastic circular flange currently fitted to the original bike, in order to use the bag on my new ride.

Is this correct? I'm assuming the plastic flange must have been originally supplied with the bag, not the adapter. Or should there actually be a second plastic flange provided with the new adapter? If not, this seems utterly bizarre...

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure which is your new bike . .

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/212377

does the image help ?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
does the image help ?

Thanks - the URL does, certainly - I've now realised that the missing plastic flange is required and at least is available separately: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/237997 - and for once, not for daft money either

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:10 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter kit is just that. Its assuming you changed bike model, not that you want to swap the bag between two different bikes.

Still the good thing about Givi is they dont charge the earth for spare parts Razz.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic adapter uses the original cap and screws. You may have to use a different hinge pin with the adapter.

Remember that you can also adjust the position of the bag part of the adapter to allow the bag to sit more forward on the tank depending on where the filler is.
I went all the way to the IOM a couple if years ago and could hardly reach the bars. I fannied with the adapter at the camp site and noticed the range of positions for the adapter. Embarassed

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The plastic adapter uses the original cap and screws. You may have to use a different hinge pin with the adapter.

well not necessarily - my new one was provided with a new set of ;longer bolts, and in fact the previous one (V-Strom), was also provided with spacers for the bolts too.

MCN wrote:
Remember that you can also adjust the position of the bag part of the adapter to allow the bag to sit more forward on the tank depending on where the filler is.

Indeed. I transferred the adapter ring to the new bike today in fact, at which point I noticed this. There's no doubt then bag needs moving at least an inch further forward, so any ideas I may have had about simply using my bag interchangeably on both bikes are blown out of the water!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1