Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Revs go high in neutral

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Revs go high in neutral Reply with quote

hey everyone

Im still learning so forgive my ignorance!

basically after a short ride, when I put the bike (er6n 2012) into neutral the revs started climbing high, 4-5k before i switched the engine off.

I turned it back on and the revs went down to normal (1k ish). When I blipped the throttle it shot up to 3k and began climbing again and would not go down.

When i switched the engine on and went into first straight away it was fine, until I put it into neutral and it flew up again, without blipping the throttle.

The throttle isn't stuck or anything, its smooth and open/shuts ok. And I dont think the idle speed needs adjusting because at first it stayed at normal range. I don't know.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to attempt the fix myself, but if its too serious itll just have to get to a shop.

cheers

Plus Life EV
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind I solved it, the throttle closing bit (no idea what its called) wasn't closing by about 2mm. bit of lubricant and I should be ok. Looks a bit corroded from the winter, didnt think to ac-50 up there tbh.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to be sure rather than hope; sit on the bike with the engine running, in neutral, and turn the bars from full lock to full lock to ensure the cable isn't snagged (revs rise then you've got a routing problem).

Photo of the rusted area? If you can't be sure when the throttle cable was last lubricated and it looks funky then its probably time to get the manual out and see if its something you can do.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Life EV wrote:
Nevermind I solved it, the throttle closing bit (no idea what its called) wasn't closing by about 2mm. bit of lubricant and I should be ok. Looks a bit corroded from the winter, didnt think to ac-50 up there tbh.

I would use this as an excuse to start from the throttle tube down to the throttle body to clean everything up, lubricate cables etc. Also check for air leaks.

Might also be worthwhile to balance the throttle bodies with a morgan carbtune while you're there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1